1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Cathode Bypass Cap = No Effect

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by HaroldBrooks, Apr 16, 2018.

1. HaroldBrooks

HaroldBrooks Member

Just for the heck of it, I tried adding a cathode resistor Bypass cap around the 200ohm 10watt cathode resistor used for the two 6V6 tubes in this push pull circuit, and it doesn't seem to do a thing, not at 22uf or 100uf. Doesn't matter either way in the least, no addition to gain or Bass...

http://el34world.com/charts/Schematics/files/valco/Valco_Supro_1600.pdf

I have a couple of amps with this basic circuit, and they all seem to have the same 'issue'.

There must be something important I am missing. I hooked two separate caps from pin #8 on both 6V6 tube, nada...

Any help is greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance !

2. oldhousescott

oldhousescott Silver Supporting Member

There's a couple of things that may influence that behavior. First, the field coil is in series ahead of the plate supply and it's working to maintain a constant current to some degree. Second, even with the push-pull stage, a reasonably warm-biased AB stage will see both tubes conducting for a good bit of the excursion so that the sum of the cathode currents into the cathode resistor stays fairly consistent. Combine those two and the dV/dt across the cathode resistor gets pretty small. That would be my guess, anyway.

Steppin' Wolfe and HotBluePlates like this.
  3. pdf64

pdf64 Member

Yes, in a p-p shared cathode bias amp, a bypass cap only takes effect at high signal levels, especially overdriven.