Cats vs the fox, I have never seen a fox win

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Clifford-D, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

YouTube has lots of cats vs foxes videos and I've never seen a fox win a standoff.

In most videos the cat is chilling while the fox circles the cat looking for the chance to attack, but it never happens. Cats just turn and the fox backs off. Often it ends with the cat getting fed up and chasing the fox away.

Cats are tough little creatures, I've even seen a cat facing off with a bear, swiping it in the nose and the near runs off.

Any thoughts to further my observation on our sweet kitties?

2. m@2

m@2 Member

Yep, cats, pound for pound, are pretty badass when it comes to fighting/defending themselves. I've also seen cats fend of dogs and such. Unfortunately I have also seen dogs kill cats :/

3. rickcard71

rickcard71 Member

The lady that lives behind me said that her vet said the puncture wounds on her cat are most likely from a fox or coyote. I don't like cats. Go fox or coyote.

4. JDJ

JDJ Member

I've seen my 16 pound cat chase a fox into the woods. He's also jumped on my neighbor's back when she had the nerve to bring her Yorkie over unannounced.

5. 100JH

100JH Member

6. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

I doubt it was the fox. But a coyote is a whole other story. The largest foxes, the red fox weighs in at about 30lbs, but cats still bring on the whoop-ass.From my experience domestic dogs are much more fearless than the fox but that makes sense as the dog often outweighs the fox. And then you have the ultimate fearless chihauhau , damn dog chased me down the street once and it scared me with such fearlessness. Lucky they don't weigh 75lbs.

7. djork

djork Member

I really want a serval or some other large breed cat that I can walk on leash just to watch the confrontations with dogs. Sadly, I think they are illegal in my state.

8. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

Foxes can be a very loving pet, but they are definitely outdoor caged pets. I mean an enclosed area, not a cage.

9. Ampedusa

Ampedusa Member

I prefer cats vs crows.

BPSUL, RGB and Probos like this.
  10. BobK

BobK Member

Foxes don't have health insurance.

ripple likes this.
  11. ripple

ripple To keep fresh, keep capped & cold. Silver Supporting Member

As m@2 said, pound for pound, a cat can be one serious bag of nasty.

Especially farm cats: my Grandparents had a bunch on their farm, and as a kid I used to try to catch them. I've always been a total animal lover, so there was never any malice or cruelty intended. Needless to say, they were not all positive interactions, and I got the living sh*t tore outta me a couple times trying to pick up the wrong ones. Some cats are friendly by nature, and others... well, not so much.

However, they had this one BIG, old brindle cat that my Great-Grandaddy named Jack Dempsey. That cat was legendary: only one-eye, half an ear chewed off, balls the size of a hackysack, and a face that looked like somebody took a pen-knife to it.

JD would regularly kill all forms of rodent, birds, and even a few snakes showed up on the front porch with their heads eaten off.

Everything was afraid of that cat, except my Great Grandaddy, who was the only person that Jack Dempsey would let touch or pick him up. That cat followed him everywhere. JD would aggressively attack any dog that came too near, so the farm dogs always gave him a wide berth, and would leave the porch whenever he'd come rolling up the steps.

From what i remember about that cat, a fox wouldn't even think of f*cking with Jack Dempsey, and a Coyote better bring a friend or two.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
    lowbrow and Go Cat Go!! like this.
  12. radicool

radicool Member

I've seen cats win some unlikely battles, too. They are tough little critters, and as close to wild as any domestic animal can be. But I also know this: if the dog or coyote is wise enough, and he wants that cat dead - the cat had better run, or he will be dead. Unfortunately, I've seen that happen, too.

13. pokey

pokey Member

Anyone who thinks a cat has a chance in a fight with a coyote is nuts. The cats best chance of survival vs a coyote is to run like hell to the nearest tree.

Spec, Average Joe and lousyatit like this.
  14. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Actually, I think that is lucky.

The process to get a 4th or 5th generation serval/domestic cross is quite brutal. They are gorgeous animals, but not sure it is worth it.

15. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

Cats have a way of projecting fearless agressing that make them appear to punch above their weight. A fox or dog may well take out a cat, but not without a fight, and if the cat can project that it is more trouble than it's worth, many predators will find an easier meal.

16. Blackmore's Hat

Blackmore's Hat Member

Those birds are dicks!

67blackcherry, BPSUL and Ampedusa like this.