Caveman V2 vs. Super Signa Drive

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Patient of Dr. Z, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Patient of Dr. Z

Patient of Dr. Z Member

I've been watching demos of the Oddfellow Caveman V2 and the CMAT Mods Super Signa Drive and I love the sound of both. I'm looking for an OD pedal with drive and boost switches that can be used independently or together, something to go from bold, classic rock crunch with clarity of notes to singing sustain with complex overtones. I was thinking of waiting for the Plexi-Drive Deluxe, but as great as the demos sound, it doesn't seem like it does the singing sustain thing quite like I want it to, but I could be wrong.

Anyone have any input about the Caveman V2 or the Super Signa Drive, or other recommendations? I should say I play mostly single coils through a Dr. Z Maz 18 Jr.

2. Patient of Dr. Z

Patient of Dr. Z Member

3. Zalu

Zalu Supporting Member

I had the Super Signa for a while and it was cool. Not great but not bad either. Just okay. It's wheelhouse is definitely TS-type tones and the 3-band EQ gives it good tweak ability. The boost side is very bright though and the plexi-style drive on it was good, but didn't have any oomph when compared to pedals that do JUST the marshally thing.

4. Patient of Dr. Z

Patient of Dr. Z Member

5. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I have the Caveman V1 and it's the best distortion I've ever heard on the bridge pickup of a Strat. Never played the other. The V2 is the same circuit as V1, but with the Napolean Boost separated out. Caveman is a really sweet distortion, can't go wrong with it.

6. jordane93

jordane93 Member

Never played the Caveman but I owned a Super Signa Drive for a few years. It's a really versatile TS and you can get a lot of sounds out of it. Comparing the Caveman and SSD is like apples and oranges IMO. They are totally different pedals. If you want a meaty pedal with lots of low end growl, go for the the Caveman. If you want a TS type pedal with a lot of mids then go for the SSD

7. J_Stefanik

J_Stefanik Member

I agree with this. My Caveman v1 replaced my TS because I wanted more clarity. Just picked up the V2 and I would say it is exactly what you are looking for. The boost running standalone was the biggest surprise of all, it sounds awesome!

8. olejason

olejason Supporting Member

I think the Caveman is more or less an OCD and the Signa is similar to a TS so you may have better luck comparing those two.

9. ufo~

ufo~ Member

Haven't played a Sigma but man oh man is the V2 Caveman Drive a badass pedal. It's the only pedal to replace the V1 that sat on my board for almost a year. Now it's two pedals in one and I actually use the boost side more than the dirt side. Very clean boost. Kick in the boost post dirt and leads just fly. This pedal should be celebrated but not around here. TGP isn't worthy.

This crap again? :nuts

...if only the OCD had the outright balls that the Caveman has.

10. Patient of Dr. Z

Patient of Dr. Z Member

Thanks for the input everyone! Sounds like between the two the Caveman 2 is more what I'm looking for... another day, though. I've been a little to GASsy lately, so time to give the bank account a break.

Now if I could only stop thinking about the Plexi-Drive Deluxe... :noevil

11. olejason

olejason Supporting Member

lol right...

12. J_Stefanik

J_Stefanik Member

The Caveman has many balls. Check the link in my sig for a sample.

13. ufo~

ufo~ Member

Oh I know. First hand. I'm just dismissing the usual OCD fanboi action that pops up from time to time. They have "similarities" that people get their panties in a bunch over. Fact remains... the Caveman stomps all over the OCD. Especially v2.

14. J_Stefanik

J_Stefanik Member

I agree, though Jonathan did respond pretty quickly to that cease and desist by creating the V2... kinda makes you wonder. Either way, I think he improved the design of the v1, and I am happy to say that the caveman gives me a pretty unique tone. still keeping my v1 as one day I hope it will be Klon status :Devil

15. Bobafunk

Bobafunk Member

The V2 is a completely independent and original design. I love the V2. Jonathan really nailed it with the V2. The OCD stuff is beyond put to bed. Witchhunt over. Get over it. Lol
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvIBnc2xbqU