Cavern Club Liverpool 'had' mahogany bar top..

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Sol, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Sol

Sol Member

Now I have it, or parts of it at least. This was a few yrs back and Ive been sitting on it wondering what to do with it.

We were given it by the guy who helped with the job and sent us sections that would be useful in guitar building. The issue is that while its perfect for building necks, we have no way of proving where it came from, and so the question I want to put to you is; should we mention that we have this Mahogany, or just use it in builds and mention it to the new owner as an interesting after thought?

Obviously if we had proof we could build a range of guitars that fans of The Beatles would love to own, they would certainly be very exclusive.

Any thoughts on how we might proceed would be very welcome at this point?

2. Ogre

Ogre Member

Without establishing provenance(proof that it is from the Cavern Club) you are dead in the water.

3. fishleehooker

fishleehooker Supporting Member

I really really wish you could have this officially certified by a third party. Be the stuff of excalibur and legend.

4. Sol

Sol Member

Ill make some enquirys and see what I come up with, it would be great to have some provenance on this wood. Ill let you know how I get on.

Its really old, it will be interesting to see how it compares to the best of the new Mahogany weve got.
    A chance to see what the 'old growth' has to offer tone wise, could be interesting.

5. lhallam

lhallam Member

Wishing you the best. Having old wood is good, having it stained with beer is better, being from the Cavern Club makes it great.

6. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

It is not the original Cavern anyway it was built in the early 80s.

7. filtersweep

filtersweep Member

No kidding--- but one might assume the mahogany was from the original-- unless the 80s bar has already been replaced.

8. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

The original became a carpark in the 70 and the replica had a large bar built in an a-joining room that was not in the first one. This is where the mahogany bar top was . I played and visited it in the days when it was rebuilt.

9. lustycourtier

lustycourtier Member

The Cavern Company will want a large percentage for any use of the brand! Just build away if its good wood.

10. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

This.

I wouldn't attempt to market the guitars as having anything to do with The Cavern, as the mahogany has no real connection to The Beatles. Even if it was the bar top in the original club in the 50s & 60s, which it apparently is not, it would need a great deal of provenance in order to sell the guitars with that as the main selling point. Under better circumstances, this could've been a nice moneymaking opportunity, but having to state that the wood came from the later-built second location Cavern would take the twinkle out of everyone's eye.

11. '59_Standard

'59_Standard Member

I'd be very careful selling anything and mentioning anything relating to The Cavern Club - or Cavern City Tours Ltd.

Look to the right: here