CD Mastering with Logic?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by ethomas1013, Apr 7, 2015.

1. ethomas1013

ethomas1013 Supporting Member

Logic use to come bundled with a fairly good CD Mastering software Wave Burner Pro. Its no longer supported and stopped working for me a few years ago with one of the OS updates.

I haven't done any recording for a few years and and ready to dive back in. I was thinking about purchasing Logic Pro X. Can't really tell from the software website... does it come with some decent CD Mastering software or functions?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  2. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

There are some stock plugs on Logic that will get you there if you know what you're doing. Linear Phase EQ, multi-band compression, an exciter, a spreader, etc. are all there. I think there's even a "mastering" channel strip/bus preset that will put the appropriate plugins on the output track. I'm not sure if there's a dithering tool but I'd wager there is.

For a noob like me, I prefer to have something like Ozone 6, where all those tools are built into a mastering suite and there are presets to start from. However, even on sale, Ozone costs as much as Logic X on its own.

3. Injured_Ear

Injured_Ear Member

When it comes down to it: Logic doesn't have a nice CD program like Waveburner anymore. I used to love Waveburner too.

I have been using HOFA CD for making CD masters which is pretty well priced.
    A facility I work at uses DSP Quattro for their CD sequencing and burning.
    Both run around $100

4. filtersweep

filtersweep Member

CDs? I gave up on spec-level CD mastering. Do you really need it? I just master on the output bus. Do you need mastering or CDs?

5. tjontheroad

tjontheroad Supporting Member

New Jersey... YOU GOTTA PROBLEM WITH THAT?!?!
    :agree

All the plug-ins are there. They're no longer arraigned in X into preset channel strips like older versions of Logic / Logic Express. But, you can save your own channel strip or port the older presets from the previous Logic versions if you have them.

Also, it's good to create mastering template to pull you mix into.

6. dougb415

dougb415 Member

The plug-ins may be there, but I don't think there are any CD burning capabilities within Logic. I used to use Bias Peak, but now I used Twisted Wave.

7. Injured_Ear

Injured_Ear Member

You can render your mixes in Logic and you can burn an audio CD from iTunes or even the finder if you're looking to just make CDs without spending any extra dough.

8. fezz parka

fezz parka Member

You can get the tracks sounding the way you want them to and bounce them, but no PQ list, no Red Book standard.

9. tjontheroad

tjontheroad Supporting Member

New Jersey... YOU GOTTA PROBLEM WITH THAT?!?!
    +1

Yes, you'll need some type of burner software to get all the tags in and do your duplication.

Here's a download list for Mac;
    http://download.cnet.com/mac/cd-burners/3150-2646_4-0.html

FWIW
    Technically, "Mastering" and "Duplication" has been traditionally considered a two step process. Often there can be differing master mixes for the media used (CD, vinyl, video surround, etc)

10. Digitalman

Digitalman Member

I've experimented with this recently. Not for CDs, but just to see how good I could get a mix out of Logic to sound. I get a good mix with a little headroom and no plugins on the output channel and bounce a stereo .wav. Then bring it back into Logic with a mastering template I set up. I put it through a linear phase EQ, a multipressor, a stereo spread, a limiter and a couple other plugins. There are tutorials out there.

11. cjcayea

cjcayea cool as a cucumber in a bowl of hot sauce Supporting Member

i downloaded and bough dsp quattro a few days ago because of the suggestions in this thread. awesome program; compliments logic wonderfully for CD *mastering* and reasonably priced.

12. cjcayea

cjcayea cool as a cucumber in a bowl of hot sauce Supporting Member

could you explain the benefit of a linear phase EQ as opposed to others? honestly, before i started down the computer recording rabbit hole, i wasn't even aware that there were differences in *type* of EQ

13. dougb415

dougb415 Member

Dang, wish I would've known about this before buying Twisted Wave. I am a former Bias Peak user, and there is a $49 crossgrade offer. I still might check it out, see if it has anything to offer that is better than Twisted Wave.

14. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

I'm running 10.9.5 and WaveBurner still works perfectly for me. Perhaps it doesn't work in Yosemite? I heard it did, though.

I LOVE it, and am really confused as to why they dumped it. Far too early. Even if you're not delivering to the final user on CD, it's still super helpful.

15. stratology

stratology Member

It launches on 10.10.3 (on an upgraded system) and seems to work, but I wouldn't want to rely on it, the last supported OS is 10.8.

16. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

Why not? If it works it works...

17. stratology

stratology Member

AUvaltool crashed several times when I opened Waveburner, first file open dialog was unresponsive, audio drop outs when changing plug ins, etc.
    You'd expect unpredictable issues like these on unsupported configurations, no surprises there.

18. Digitalman

Digitalman Member

It was the first type I tried based on a tutorial I found. It made sense, because it works within the same 4 frequency bands that the multi-pressor works in.

19. Sunbreak Music

Sunbreak Music Member

Personally, I think they sound awful, and there's no benefit in mastering beyond minimum phase or analog.

20. Digitalman

Digitalman Member

Well then help us please mister Sunbreak Music.

I've been impressed with my mastering experiments so far. But what do I know? I master in Logic for my own personal mixes. If I was to release something, I'd send it to a mastering house and have it done properly.