CD Recorder Recommendations

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by leond, Dec 17, 2004.

1. leond

leond Supporting Member

I've been running sound at my local church. Part of the process is to record the service on cassette.

In an effort to upgrade, we'd like to put the recording on our web page. To do that, we figured it would be easier if we could record to a CD instead of a cassette. Take the CD and convert it to an MP3 and put it on the web.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a CD recorder that would work in the application? Also, are there any recorders that will record an MP3 directly?

Thanks,
    LeonD

2. loudboy

loudboy Member

Tascam makes good ones.

I've found that in order to ensure that your media doesn't error as much, prerecord about 2-minutes of blank time before you start your session. Usually, if a disk is going to crap out, it'll happen then. ALWAYS have a spare disk ready, as bad media happens semi-regularly and you've got to be prepared.

I'd just drop a track marker between the different parts of the service, bring 'em in to your computer as .wavs, edit the tops and tails and use a program such as Winlame to convert to mp3s. Most of this can be batched, and the editing shouldn't take more than a few minutes.

Loudboy

3. GaryNattrass

GaryNattrass Member

Have you considered Mini Disc as an option?

OK so its not full bandwidth but the error correction and the ability to re-record over the discs make it a more user friendly medium for audio capture than CD.

Sony do recorders that you can download the audio direct to a computer for editing and then you could master to CD as a delivery medium.

Also consider a small hard disk recorder or four track with a built in CD burner you will get everything in one package then and it will allow you to keep the good material on disk and burn to CD once you are happy with the editing.

4. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

OK, I'll be the first to suggest the Masterlink. It cost a bit more but you get the error correction of a hard disk recorder, 24 bit converters with the ability to record @24bit/96kHz. Not so important for compressing to mp3, but if you decide to do a small batch of CD's, you can send off the 2 track in 16 or 24 bit format for mastering. I've yet to throw away a disc or a track due to a recording error.

On the down side, no USB/Firewire/Ethernet connections so you have to burn a disc to get it to your computer.

5. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Why record direct to CD? Why not use software?

6. leond

leond Supporting Member

Thanks for the replies so far guys.

One of the things I need is simplicity. The audio quality is not the highest priority. Most of what will be recorded will be spoken. Chances are the person doing the recording will not be of a technical nature. They'll take a feed from the board and insert it into the recorder. Today, it's done with a cassette deck.

We're doing this to get an MP3 on the web. At first I thought the easiest thing would be to get a CD recorder. Record the CD and give it to the web person to convert to an MP3 and put it on the web. Now I'm wondering if there is a way to record straight to an MP3 and bypass the middle step.

So, is there a way I can record an MP3 directly onto a CD? Cost is not really an issue as I have a few thousand dollars to play with.

Any suggestions?

Thanks again,
    LeonD

7. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Buy a Mac laptop with a Combo Drive or SuperDrive and use Apple GarageBand, which is free as part of OS X. It's ridiculously easy to use. The cheapest new laptop you can buy would be more than powerful enough for this job, as long as it has one of the drives I mentioned above.

I think something like the Apogee Mini Me would interface with GarageBand (I'm not a Garage Band user, but I've seen how it works). You output from your mixer to the Mini Me inputs, from there you go into the laptop with a USB cable, record in Garage Band, then export a MP3. If you still want a CD you could burn it from the MP3 using iTunes.

IMO it makes no sense to burn direct to CD then make a MP3. This is the simplest solution I can think of but it will also sound good.

You can buy everything you need from Sweetwater Sound including the laptop plus they can answer questions about the Mini Me.

Later on, if you want to get fancy you can use GarageBand to edit out the boring parts like the announcements... or the sermon. :D

8. 247jamz

247jamz Member

Hi Leon,

I have been asked to setup the same thing at a local church, with all the same criteria: they want tape and CD, and they want to stream an MP3 of the sermon on their website. They also want to get a good recording of some of the musical guests, so they wanted a little reverb in the mix at times. What I came up with is a Mackie DFX12 mixer and a Tascam c222mII (http://www.tascam.com/Products/CC-222.html).

I agree that a computer is not the solution due to noise and the fact that different people will be running this setup, and none of them are computer savy enough. The Tascam c222mkII can take one input and record to CD and tape at the same time. The Mackie is simple but has built in reverb (not the greatest sounding, but usable). The Mackie also has RCA out which go right into the Tascam.

The Tascam is a bit pricey, but this church wanted simultaneous CD and tape recording, so it is about the same price as buying separate units.

Good luck!

Dave

9. mhb

mhb Guest

247jamz,

I'm looking for some info on creating track marks for the person at our church who does the recording. We want to create the track marks in real-time, so we don't have to post process the sermon on a PC. We want to record the sermon onto the master CD as the pastor speaks, adding track marks every 2 minutes. This can be accomplished with the TASCAM CD recorder we're using by pressing the Record button every 2 minutes, but we want to do it automatically with some kind of external timing circuit which would provide a pulse to the TASCAM every two minutes. Do you (or anyone else out there) know of such a timing box which could be used to make ~2 minute track marks?

Many Thanks.

10. OOG

OOG Member

recorded tonight with an IRiver 512
    it's a TINY MP3 recorder that cost $125
    amazng sound
    i believe it would be perfect for your app