CDBaby closing their online retail store

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Neer, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Neer

Neer Supporting Member

Kind of a bummer, they’ve done a lot of good for the Independent artist.

“In order to provide tools and services many DIY musicians need to succeed in this evolving music ecosystem, we've made the decision to retire the CD Baby retail store on March 31st, 2020.

You've used the CD Baby Store and our physical distribution services to great success in the past and we want you to be the first to know that:

1. Physical distribution will continue!
    2. We'll have a free, alternative storefront solution (replacing CD Baby's retail store)

What does this mean for you?

Your physical distribution will continue through CD Baby:

The majority of orders we currently ship come through Amazon and wholesalers like Alliance Entertainment. We still have your stock, and we'll still warehouse your product and fulfill those orders for you.

In addition to physical distribution, you will receive a free storefront solution:

In the coming weeks before our store is retired, you will receive an email with an exclusive free offer of a storefront solution. Please be on the lookout for the details, and be sure to complete any requested actions to ensure you store-front is live. Want even better news? You will still have the option to have CD Baby fulfill your orders from this store landing page. Details to come very soon!

As always we truly appreciate the work you create, and the enthusiasm you've shown in working with us as we've grown into the industry-changing service we are today.”

2. 83stratman

83stratman Supporting Member

3. diego

diego Member

Agreed @Neer

I can't quite tell what it is they're describing though.

4. Surgeon

Surgeon Member

I haven't received this yet. Bummer but it's not a big surprise.

5. Neer

Neer Supporting Member

In the first year that I released my CD, I sold a pretty good number though them, 300+. I sold more than that on my own, but it was a very good outlet for CD sales and distribution. They will still do distribution (selling through Amazon, etc), but I feel that Bandcamp is a better option now for a storefront. Ultimately, you should have your own storefront/website.

i used to get frequent refill orders of 30+. A few weeks ago I had a refill request for 2 units.

6. Mayor McCheese

Mayor McCheese Member

I've had stuff sold through them for almost 20 years, loved working with them because a lot of my sales were overseas and they would deal with the overseas shipping issues. Plus, it was so simple to just send them a box to restock one location instead of dealing with all the individual orders myself. I still sell digital downloads of our old albums through them but I haven't released any physical product in a long time, so the store is less of a concern for me.

7. moemoe6434

moemoe6434 Member

Tens of people will be very upset.

wgs1230, ak301, sahhas and 4 others like this.
  8. johnnyb128

johnnyb128 Member

I love Bandcamp and try to purchase all my music through there (in fact I bought your awesome album there!). I think you're right and focusing efforts into Bandcamp would be the best idea for artists. If I can get the high-quality mp3 AND FLAC as downloads, like Bandcamp offers, I have no need for the physical CD anyways.

wgs1230 and Neer like this.
  9. freedom's door

freedom's door Member

I never even knew they had a retail store.
    I still get a check every year or two from $20 from them.

sahhas likes this.
  10. flume

flume Gold Supporting Member

I’d been wondering when the hatred of cds would cause CDbaby to at least change their name. It used to be a place to buy indie discs and they made it very easy for artists to do so.

But it’s important to hate cds. So it’s important to kill this operation.

Brad8008135 likes this.
  11. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

Some folks like artifacts. We sell CDs at shows, but most sales are digital downloads. CDBaby was pretty decent but Bandcamp, iTunes (formerly), Amazon, and 600 download sites worldwide have been much more lucrative.

I am not surprised that they are shifting.

12. flume

flume Gold Supporting Member

Cdbaby made it painless to get my music on streaming services and get paid. Bandcamp is good too but doesn’t do the streaming. You need both these days. But what remains essential is hating and killing cds. You are allowed to like tapes as a cute trinket. But no cds. Ever.

13. Sunburst71

Sunburst71 Silver Supporting Member

Another option is Bandzoogle's store functionality, if you have a website with them. No commission.

14. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

I hear you, but still sell CDs.

Artifacts.

The vinyl queers <hand raised> love the plastic drops. Tape is still cool but less supported. Honestly, I really like the old Sony Walkman lo-fi cassette experience for punk, post-punk and suchlike.

But digital is where its at for distro. Then the lovers look for artifacts. The audio nerds that like us go for vinyl. We don't do tape, though print to tape and then bounce too didge.

15. fetchmybeer

fetchmybeer Member

So they're removing the retail storefront but they will still continue with everything else, to include digital distribution and hard copy (CD, DVD, etc) creation?

16. Greentone

Greentone Member

So that means the one album I placed on there 18 years ago will continue to not sell? Bummer.

ned7flat5 and Lt Dak like this.