CE-1 Clones?

jet8425

I know there are thousands of chorus/vibrato pedals out there, but I've really fallen in love with the sound of the old Boss/Roland CE-1. Unfortunately, the vintage models are scarce and a little too rich for my pocket.

If a clone exists, I'd want it to have virtually the same layout (independent controls for the chorus and vibrato, some way to switch between them on the fly, rate LED, don't necessarily care for the master volume control) and hopefully save some cash and space on my pedalboard.

loosegroove

The Retro Sonic Chorus is exactly what you're looking for. Unfortunately they've been recently discontinued, so they're pretty pricey too on the used market. But if you see one going for relatively cheap, you should snag it.

stratguy23

There's the Retro Sonic as mentioned, and I believe the Voodoo Labs Chorus is a clone as well, but the demos have never impressed me. I have to say I have used a lot of choruses and the CE-1 is definitely the best, it just makes me happy when I hear that thing.

8len8

The Retro Sonic Chorus is exactly what you're looking for. Unfortunately they've been recently discontinued, so they're pretty pricey too on the used market. But if you see one going for relatively cheap, you should snag it.

+1.

You could try hunting down an older Boss CE-5. Try to get one that was released before the year 2001. It is analogue and has a much nicer sound than the later digital model (often referred to as the CE-5A). You should be able to use it to replicate a sound fairly close to the CE-1's sound, given that the CE-5 was an evolved version of the CE-1.

Clean Channel

Just to clarify about the various CE-1 clones: one of the key components of a CE-1 is that the chorus effect is accomplished via a mn3002 BBD chip. Today these chips are discontinued and hard t source.

The reason the Retro-Sonic is mentioned so often is that it's the only CE-1 clone that's built using NOS mn3002 chips.

I own a CE-1 and a Retro-Sonic Chorus, and use the RS most of the time, as sounds great, and it's easier to fit on my pedalboard.

abnerfm

The Voodoo Lab Analog Chorus sounds very fat and does a nice fake-Leslie thing with the knobs cranked

MilesMitchell

The pedals that were marketed as being ce-1 clones were the retro sonic chorus and voodoo lab chorus. People tend to agree that the VL is its own beast but still a great pedal for the price. The RS unfortunately costs as much as a ce-1 (I've seen both go for as low as 280 on eBay while the RS go up to 380 and ce-1 go up to 450 but that's bid wise on eBay and I've only been watching the last 5 months).

The RS layout is exactly the same as the ce-1. Some who swear by the ce-1 say the RS doesn't come nearly as close as the original. I only owe the RS so I can't say but everyone knows the ce-1 is huge and a tone sucker so you decide.

devideva

I plus 1 for the Earthquaker Sea Machines as most lush analog chorus available. It's what I would buy against anything even more expensive. I think it's a 150.00. Retrosonic is 269.00.

muffinman

Gold Supporting Member
Retro's site is a POS.

It has a checkout, shipping rates, no costs and try ordering a chorus.
IMO the new improved RS site is much cleaner & more modernized than its predecessor, which was Flash-heavy and had fallen into some disrepair. I think Tim's wife did/does the site, and thought the old site looked fantastic & unique, but needed a revamp to stay current, and this thread led me to the site facelift which I happen to think looks terrific!

As for your difficulty ordering, I take you already read the Hello! section so you know he's doing one last run-- guessing it probably isn't available to order yet, hence unlike all the other RS pedals's pages with an Add to Cart button, the Chorus doesn't have that option yet (maybe it will be through dealers only and will never be for sale on the RS site). The shipping/ordering seems Canuck-centric w/ the provinces (no states from which to choose) and shipping zones. If the site gives you the willies, buy from a dealer, I'm not going to slight an Ottawan for setting up his site in/for his native land.

And definitely going to try to get one of these again, and put my CE-1 into semi-retirement. The new Retro-Sonic Chorus color scheme looks familiar!

MilesMitchell

I can't wait for retro sonic to release that ce-1...I really hope I get it before they all sell out. I'm loving the color scheme on it!

Top Bottom