CE-1 Style Chorus

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jmp, Sep 24, 2006.

1. jmp

jmp Supporting Member

I've started shopping for a good chorus pedal. Looking for the usual 70's-early 80's classic rock sounds: Lifeson, Summers, etc. I'm considering several and have read most of the threads here on the TGP. For a CE-1 clone, the Retro Sonic looks good, but I prefer 9V operation and don't feel a need for the extra vibrato function. Is anyone making a simple CE-1 chorus copy? Might be nice to have a one or two knob pedal that replicates only the chorus side of the original CE-1.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. jbird327

jbird327 Member

I was just going through my old pedals a few days ago and came across a Voodoo labs chorus, still in the box. It says on the front of the box - a recreation of the CE-1 (or something to that effect). I have not used the pedal much as I prefer the sound of the CS9, but it might be one for you to investigate.

3. Wooley

Wooley Member

The Retro-Sonic Chorus is supposedly a faithful reproduction of the Boss CE-1.

4. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Ive heard, just heard, not experience that the Analogman clone chorus can get those sounds. Im also looking for a good chorus at the moment and want to get those ce-1 type sounds like Mr.Frusciante. So Im kind of set on the A.man stereo bi-chorus.

5. Oddos

Oddos Member

The Bi-Chorus isn`t even close.

6. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

oh...well thats not too good now is it?...maybe I should just get a CE-1 and be done with it. It would be cheaper than a stereo bi-chorus...

7. Oddos

Oddos Member

I haven`t tried the Retro-Sonic yet.

Playing through an original Chorus Ensmble is however one of my most cherished moments. Soundwise that is. I can come up with quite a few better experiences. And I constantly knock myself for not buying a mint one for less than $ 100, but I really didn`t know what it was back then.

My Clone is one of very few pedals that I`ve actually passed on.

8. Wooley

Wooley Member

Hey, if you're looking for CE-1 sounds, you should not get the AM! I have the AM and the Retro-sonic and they sound VERY different. They are both great but the AM sounds like an EH Small Clone (drier, more flanger-like chorus) and the RS sounds like a CE-1 (wetter, more phaser-like chorus). Just thought you should know before you spend that much money (both cost over $230).

9. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Kinda OT, but maybe you guys can helpout...Im selling my Orange 2x12 on craigslist, and this guy just emailed me that he has an original roland/boss CE-1 hed be willing to trade + cash...Im asking $800 CDN for the cab, which is a very fair price over here. So how much should I ask for ontop of the CE-1...Im waiting for some pictures and to see if its all original and in good condition...what do you guys think? Do I take the CE-1 + cash or just cash? Cheers.

Marko M.

10. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

Sounds like you are interested in the CE-1, so it's up to you whether or not you need the cash or you want some cash and the pedal.
    Clean CE-1's have been selling on ebay for over $200.
    You should do a search on ebay for recent sales.

??????Consider $600 cash + the CE-1??????

11. wolfpack

wolfpack Supporting Member

Agreed :AOK

12. what?

what? Member

My old CE-2 nails the chorus tones of the police, fat!

13. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

RetroSonic CE nails the CE-1 Vibe. I had an old CE-1, a CE-2 and then tried out the RSCE. It sounds like that old CE-1 did without all the added noise when in bypass. I couldn't afford to keep the thing, since I mainly wanted it for vibrato.... I keep hoping someone will release a low cost, well designed vibrato pedal (a boy can dream).

Anyways, if your trying to nail down Summers or Frusciante, the Retro-Sonic is the ticket. Small box, zero bypass noise, and dead on tone.

14. Angle Loss

Angle Loss Supporting Member

I'll just jump in and affirm alot of whats has already been said. The Retro-Sonic is it for the CE-1 sound (I've had an original and like the RS better!). The AM clone chorus is a different circuit. It sounds great (i've had 2 plus a bi-chorus)--but it is warmer and smoother. I've come to enjoy the Retro-Sonic more, so I sold my AMs. The Voodoo Lab Chorus is also supposed to be like a CE-1, but it does not sound like it. There is an unpleasant boost in the mid frequencies which I don't like. It wasn't bad sounding, but it wasn't a CE-1 either. The ticket for those sounds again is the Retro-Sonic, which I will take any day over an original Boss CE-1 anyday. They really made it usable (better bypass, volume knob--thank you!!!), and cleaner circuit (my original got overdriven fairly easily.

15. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

I was on a Chorus hunt a while ago, and then I ran onto a Made In Japan Black Label Boss CE-2 with the Keeley mods, and It's really made me smile when I heard it. I went out and found two more MIJ black label CE-2's and now they are my backups. You know, when you find a good pedal you should have a backup. The CE-2 ended my Chorus search.

16. jmp

jmp Supporting Member

Again, I need something that can run off a standard 9V power supply, i.e. Voodoo Labs PP2. The Retro-Sonic requires an AC plug. Any CE-1 sounding chorus units out there that will run on 9V? Can the Fulltone do the CE-1 thing (I know the website says it can, but looking for some real world experience)?
    -Mike

17. erksin

erksin Member

I think Retro-Sonic has updated the pedal to run off 9v...

18. Retro-Sonic

Retro-Sonic Member

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the nice comments.

I have some great news for everyone. The Retro-Sonic Chorus is now available in stereo AND it will run on a 9VDC power supply. It took a while to get the power conversion done properly but it's finally here. Please check www.retro-sonic.com for the release announcement and a picture of the unit.

Hope you like it!

Cheers,

Tim Larwill
    Retro-Sonic

19. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

The Boss CE-20 Twin pedal does an excellent CE-1 and Dimensional D (which is my personal favorite chorus sound ever) reproduction, according to the grapevine

20. jmp

jmp Supporting Member

Well then, I suppose my decision just got easier. :)