Ce-2 Power Supply Issue

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Shizean, May 18, 2015.

1. Shizean

Shizean Member

Hey guys, I've been reading a lot of forum information about the power issues regarding the Boss Ce-2 (MIJ). Though I understand some of it, a lot of what I see is technical jargon (to me, since I am a total electronics noob). So i'll explain my situation:

When daisy chained and with 9v power supply, the light signal is weak and I get a weird whistle sound through my amp. When hooked up with a 9v battery, everything is cool. Some people say that daisy chaining is the answer when using 9v supply, but for me is not the case.

The basic question I need answered is (in the best laymen terms possible): Can I just buy a 12 Volt DC adapter and use this? I see the old ACA-120 adapters going for like $50-$60. And I don't want to fry this thing modding it. As you know, I paid a pretty penny for it, and I'm a noob, which is why I don't want to mod it to make it 9v ready.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

Yes, you can use a 12vDC adapter. Center negative, of course, and even though the old ACA was unregulated, I'd still recommend a regulated adapter.

Shizean likes this.
  3. Shizean

Shizean Member

Thank you very much stinkfoot!

4. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

What it is daisy chained with would be a factor with regard to the whine.

5. sbrollins76

sbrollins76 Supporting Member

I've got a MIJ CE-2 as well. You can use a center-negative 12V adapter. Outputs 1-4 on a PP2+ when switched away from normal will also power it just fine (this is how I ran mine). I've also heard that if it's daisy-chained off another Boss pedal with a 9V out, like a TU-2/3, it will work too though I haven't tried that personally.

Shizean likes this.
  6. LouRossi

LouRossi Member

Daisy changing works on some of my ACA Boss pedals others NOT so don't bother and just get an isolated supply...

Shizean likes this.
  7. Shizean

Shizean Member

Thank you. I really do appreciate the "to the point" answers. I literally e-mailed Boss, tried calling Roland customer support (since they're hooked up with Boss and since I couldn't find a phone line for Boss) , called a guy at Sweetwater, and spent a couple hours wading through articles and forum threads, and couldn't find a straight yes or no with the 12v. Maybe I wasn't looking in the right places? Anyway, I just ordered a center negative 12v adapter. At some point, as my pedal inventory grows, a PP2+ is definitely in order. Loving this Ce-2 :) Been looking for this sound for a long time.

8. Shizean

Shizean Member

Thank you Lou. Again, much appreciate the up front answers.

9. sanfi4u

sanfi4u Silver Supporting Member

Yes, your pedal will work well if you power it from a dedicated 12V tip negative power supply. Although Boss ACA-120 is unregulated PSU it won't be a problem if you power just one pedal. But it uses linear transformer schematic which is better than most small modern regulated PSUs utilizing digital switching schematic.
    Yes, you can daisy- chain your CE-2 pedal with another modern 9v Boss pedal and CE-2 will operate properly (if it's not damaged).
    You've got clear "yes" regarding both of the options :)
    I've no idea what you have ordered but the best thing that you can do for your pedals is getting linear transformer PSU from Voodoo Lab or CIOKS and power up your CE-2 from an isolated 12V output.

Shizean likes this.
  10. teleman55

teleman55 Member

Got an old CE2 on my board. Had it forever, since it was new. It's got stories so old I've forgotten. Still on my board every time. others have come and gone. I run it with a simple cheap daisy chain. It's got stuff in front and behind. Works great. No problem. Run one on a regular 9V and you'll have a problem. I have a later model ACA power adapter that I got at one point. These are the ones that are supposedly 9V, not 12V. But it works fine too. Also, a battery will last forever in these. They don't draw much power.

Shizean likes this.
  11. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

There is a simple mod to covert it to 9v PSA if you are cimfortable with a solder iron.
    According to http://stinkfoot.se/archives/1019

Replace D5 and R53 with jumpers.

Last edited: May 19, 2015
    Shizean likes this.
  12. Shizean

Shizean Member

I'm looking at the Voodoo Lab Power Pedal Mondo. There's the left side (red) which has 9v and 12v isolated, and there's the right side (blue) which has 12v ACA. Is either side crucial for the ce-2? I want to get something to be able to power a couple pedals I already have (Ibanez SM-7, Boss Ds-1, Diamond Compressor, obv Boss Ce-2) and eventually some others (definitely the Strymon dual digital delay as well as a couple others in mind). Thoughts?

13. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

For the CE-2, I'd use one of the blue side outputs (1-4) set to the alternate DIP switch position. There's no need to use up one of the high current 12vDC outputs for that pedal.

14. jay42

jay42 Member

This

15. sanfi4u

sanfi4u Silver Supporting Member

Voodoo Lab Power Pedal Mondo is a good choice. This PSU will be able to power up quite big pedalboard. L6 outputs will work well for Strymon DIG and other their delay based pedals of the same (smaller) format. Bigger pedals (BigSky, Mobius, and TimeLine) will require 9V red side outputs though. Sure you can use red side 9V outputs for smaller Strymons either.