CE-20 users, PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by PremiumPlus, Jan 30, 2008.

1. PremiumPlus

PremiumPlus Member

Hi all,
    I just got home from a 100 mile drive to buy a CE-20 and stupidly didn't check it out before I left the store. I have a concern that the Dimension D model isn't working properly. Is it a very very subtle chorus? I can BARELY tell that it's on, especially in a couple of the settings.
    Is my unit working properly? I've never heard a Dimension D and I don't know if this is right or not.
    Thanks everyone in advance! I need to know so I can take it back tomorrow if it's not right, and I want to avoid a 100 mile round trip to find out that everything is OK.
    -Dave

2. Bren

Bren Member

A couple of the Dimension D settings are indeed very subtle, while the others are pretty noticeable, methinks. Try listening in headphones and you can hear the differences between them.

I really dig the CE-20, mainly for the Dimension and CE-1 choruses.

----
    www.jazzshelf.org

3. indytruckboy

indytruckboy Member

yes it is subtle on mine, too

4. Shaman

Shaman Member

Ditto! The CE-1 model isn't *quite* as good as a real CE-1, but you'd hard pressed to notice the difference without directly A/Bing them. And I agree the Dimension is pretty subtle, but it's a wonderful, light shimmer that's sometimes just what's called for when you want something less noticeable (or overpowering :) than the luscious CE-1 sound.

5. rob2001

rob2001 Member

Very subtle but i'll bet in a stereo setup it's a night and day effect.

6. PremiumPlus

PremiumPlus Member

Thanks a lot everyone. I really didn't want to go all the way back to the store! I hooked it up in stereo last night and wow, it really shines. I don't have a lot of experience with chorus, I've only owned three (FAB, CE-3, H2O) but the CE-20 creams them all. It sounds so sweet, and it's just what I was looking for. I agree, the more I play it the more I appreciate how subtle and cool the Dimension D model sounds. In stereo it's real impressive but do I really want to carry two amps??? Unnh, nah!

7. iualum

iualum Member

...the CE-20 gets so little love...wonderful to hear how much you like it...I agree it's really a very nice pedal...a couple people must have somewhere along the line bad-mouthed it & then that sentiment just multiplied without many people giving it much of a chance, a self-fulfilling prophesy...

8. NicDo

NicDo Member

I have this pedal, and the Dimensional subtle settings are what got me appreciating chorus. i always hated that chorused sound until i realized how gorgeous it can be in stereo. lugging two amps around is SO worth it! mono seems so unnatural after hearing it like that.

9. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I love the CE-20 as well - one of the best out there, IMHO. Yes the Dim D is subtle, but if you turn the dial clockwise, you'll get some of the settings that represent several or all buttons pushed in, ie: the original rack DD has 4 buttons for the 4 settings, plus pushing in more than one at once. I've got the UAD-1 plugin of the DD and it's great for mixing. You can even use it on backup vocals for a subtle fattening/sweetening.

And it is better in stereo, especially when followed by a delay and reverb! It's great for chording and even some clean solo tones - just gives it a nice shimmer and sparkle. No other unit has the versatility of the CE-20.

10. rob2001

rob2001 Member

Agreed on the mixing and recording thing. I've run from a mic on the amp, into a preamp, to the CE-20 and into 2 panned tracks on the mixing board. It Sounds killer