• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

CE FET Dream users

Datsyuk

Peace, Love and Coltrane
Silver Supporting Member
I've been so good avoiding impulsive purchases spurned on by the great vortex of TGP hype, lol. All in good fun.

This said I was weak recently after coming across a recent Best Dumble Pedal type thread where one of our fine TGP'ers posted Zucker's video for the CE FET Dream which I had never heard of. I just kept listening to the vid and other audio clips on the CE site and inevitably pulled out the credit card in a haze of tonal desires.

For any of you that have this pedal or tried it, post honeymoon phase, what's your take? Still digging it? High points, low points? Call me crazy but I heard a lot of Robben Ford vibe in this pedal.

Thanks as always!

corbs

Silver Supporting Member
I'm currently running a test with the Zendrive and Fet Dream. I have only had the Fet for about a week (good deal with a Tgp'er (YO ADRIAN)), and have played it sparingly.

I can get the Fet to sound like the Zen (had the zen first). Last night at practice, my buddy who plays the bass came over and asked what the new pedal was, I played some notes and he absolutely loved it. He never really commented on the Zen.

If you have one on the way, you should dig it. It has that smooth sustain and versatility that I imagine you are looking for !

:bonk

Datsyuk

Peace, Love and Coltrane
Silver Supporting Member
I'm currently running a test with the Zendrive and Fet Dream. I have only had the Fet for about a week (good deal with a Tgp'er (YO ADRIAN)), and have played it sparingly.

I can get the Fet to sound like the Zen (had the zen first). Last night at practice, my buddy who plays the bass came over and asked what the new pedal was, I played some notes and he absolutely loved it. He never really commented on the Zen.

If you have one on the way, you should dig it. It has that smooth sustain and versatility that I imagine you are looking for !

:bonk
Thanks for the feedback Corbs! I'm building up a warehouse of high end overdrives, all really good but at the end of the day they've found their way into a Rubbermaid container. The only OD that has survived the long term scrutiny is the Kingsley Jester which is here to stay.

Something from Zucker's video demo of the FET Dream spoke to me. (and my credit card)

I'm really hoping I don't have to buy more storage containers!
Cheers B:drink

ruger9

Silver Supporting Member
I had a Zen about a year ago, just sold an FET. IMHO they were very very close. I don't know if I could pick a winner. If I were looking for THAT sound, I'd buy either a Zen or an FET, whichever one was more available/cheaper/in better shape.

You can get about 90% of the way there with a Bad Monkey. No Joke.

Datsyuk

Peace, Love and Coltrane
Silver Supporting Member
I had a Zen about a year ago, just sold an FET. IMHO they were very very close. I don't know if I could pick a winner. If I were looking for THAT sound, I'd buy either a Zen or an FET, whichever one was more available/cheaper/in better shape.

You can get about 90% of the way there with a Bad Monkey. No Joke.
LOL, it's that last 10% that costs an additional $150.00!

Out of curiosity, since you bought a Zen and FET, what sound were you looking or hoping for?

ruger9

Silver Supporting Member
LOL, it's that last 10% that costs an additional $150.00!

Out of curiosity, since you bought a Zen and FET, what sound were you looking or hoping for?
Instead of trying to describe it, the best thing I can do is point you to a song: Brad Paisley's "Jingle Bells", in the solo break you can distinctly hear when he kicks on the Zendrive... it goes from Brad Paisley to Robben Ford with the kick of a switch... and this is whith a TELE into a BRIGHT amp (Dr. Z Stangray.) I play a tele into a Vox AC-30 type (Black Pearl, the Stangray is also an AC-30 type), and I was looking for something to go from country chicken pickin' to Robben Ford/Dumble. The Zendrive does it, and the FET does it. But so does the Bad Monkey... very close.

It's not a sound I use often, so I sort of gave up on it... I still have the BM (it's not on the board tho), and frankly, I can get close with my FD2, vintage mode, tone OFF, using the drive AND boost channels (I've modded my FD2's boost channel to be a little thicker than stock.)

Macaroni

I've got a CE FET Dream and I really like it for my tastes and styles. I think the brilliant thing about the design is having the Girth/Mid control 'before' the OD, followed by the Tone for the final shaping.

The pedal's designer also makes Dumble clone amps, but he didn't make the FET Dream to specifically be a Dumble pedal, according to him. I had both Zendrives, a Jetter GSR and a Menatone Howie. All great pedals, and I preferred the GSR, but now the FET Dream has satisfied my needs for this type of pedal.

I prefer the voicing of the FET Dream to others, and the Girth control lets you dial in many other flavors of OD. I prefer the high end character too - sweet but not too edgy. I can get closer to Ford's earlier recorded Dumble tones with this pedal than with others I've had.

All that being said, I too have a Kingsley Jester (and recently acquired Tone Baron), and it's my favorite pedal of all time - nothing else comes close for me.

Datsyuk

Peace, Love and Coltrane
Silver Supporting Member
I've got a CE FET Dream and I really like it for my tastes and styles. I think the brilliant thing about the design is having the Girth/Mid control 'before' the OD, followed by the Tone for the final shaping.

The pedal's designer also makes Dumble clone amps, but he didn't make the FET Dream to specifically be a Dumble pedal, according to him. I had both Zendrives, a Jetter GSR and a Menatone Howie. All great pedals, and I preferred the GSR, but now the FET Dream has satisfied my needs for this type of pedal.

I prefer the voicing of the FET Dream to others, and the Girth control lets you dial in many other flavors of OD. I prefer the high end character too - sweet but not too edgy. I can get closer to Ford's earlier recorded Dumble tones with this pedal than with others I've had.

All that being said, I too have a Kingsley Jester (and recently acquired Tone Baron), and it's my favorite pedal of all time - nothing else comes close for me.
Thanks for the detailed feedback Ron, much appreciated! The Jester is "it" for me and the FET Dream was mainly an impulse buy. I'm not ashamed to come clean here everyone....I've been a huge Robben Ford fan for over 15 years and yes I've always loved his guitar tone. I loved his tone quite awhile before I had any clue what a Dumble was. I remember his sound has just striking me as so distinct which is a perfect blend of tone, phrasing and overall musicality.

As I patiently waited a year for a Zendrive I was so excited to see if I would be able to cop a similar tone from the very pedal that Robben uses. I was hoping it would blow me away but it really didn't. The Zen was cool, I liked it but it didn't blow my mind. After hearing the Zucker clips and CE site clips I was taken by surprise by how much at least me ears were hearing the classic Robben tone. Maybe another pipe dream...we'll see.

jgyn

I have, and like, the FET dream, but don't know if it's approximating a Dumble tone or not.

Macaroni

Macaroni, having owned/tried both the GSR & FET Dream.. how are they different?
The differences aren't that great, IMO, so it is a matter of personal tastes. I forgot to mention that I sold the GSR after I got a Dumkudo, which is another great pedal. But the FET Dream has a certain character/quality to its voice that appeals to me more than those other pedals, which I still regard highly.

I don't really need another OD pedal with the Jester, and I'm not focused on Dumble tones, but I do like Robben Ford's Blueline Dumble tones a lot, and the FET Dream gets me closer to those tones than the previous Dumble pedals I had. It's a nice extension to my core tonal palette.

mdroberts1243

I have, and like, the FET dream, but don't know if it's approximating a Dumble tone or not.
Doron Zor posted some nice (short) clips on YouTube, this one sounds Dumbly to our ears (and clearly shows the settings):

We really were aiming for a versatile overdrive pedal, not 'just' a Dumble clone with the FET Dream ;). I think we'd do things a bit differently if we set ourselves to the task of trying to match the Dumble transfer functions.

I'd be curious to know where people are setting the FET Dream controls to get a Dumbly tone. There seems to be a nice sweet spot around 2:30 or so in the drive control, although Doron seems to be up around 3:15 in the video above.

Last edited:

Datsyuk

Peace, Love and Coltrane
Silver Supporting Member
Well it's a nice bonus for me to be able to support a Canadian designer / manufacturer! I hope you all have a prosperous 2010. :beer

jjcolas

Silver Supporting Member
I recently got a FET Dream and I've owned the HAO Rumble Mod and the Zendrive and I have to say that out of those "dumble-esque" pedals I am liking the FET Dream the best. It seems to have a bit more character than the Zen and better bass than the Rumble Mod. I play through a Badcat custom shop Cub II and a 90's AC-30 so I'm playing bright amps so the bass response is great for my sound.

Datsyuk

Peace, Love and Coltrane
Silver Supporting Member
I recently got a FET Dream and I've owned the HAO Rumble Mod and the Zendrive and I have to say that out of those "dumble-esque" pedals I am liking the FET Dream the best. It seems to have a bit more character than the Zen and better bass than the Rumble Mod. I play through a Badcat custom shop Cub II and a 90's AC-30 so I'm playing bright amps so the bass response is great for my sound.

I have to agree with you. I just got mine yesterday so perhaps it's a bit early for me to give serious feedback but my feeling through the first few hours was both "thank god" and "perfect for me".

I have nothing but respect for Alf Hermida and clearly there is a huge group of loyal Zendrive lovers including of course a couple of my fave's Robben Ford and Larry Carlton. I have to say though that as much as I wanted to desperately love the Zendrive there was just something about it that I couldn't completely bond with.

After the Kingsley Jester I didn't think I would even consider another overdrive again but hearing recent clips here of the Fet Dream, it really grabbed my attention.

Lastly I would say that for any of you that were also dying to love the Zendrive and get into that territory of flavour but also didn't quite bond with it then the FET Dream could really be the answer. Similar but not the same as the Zen and depending on your gear and ear it could be the ticket. :drink

Manolian

I just ordered one ,mainly because the sound of the Tele Jazzy Clip on the CEpedals web site is the closest I've heard to early "Cream" woman tone from any recent OD pedal.
IMO, the first 2-3 notes on that clip is the sound that both EJ ,and EVH have mentioned is the tone they strive for (early Clapton with "Cream").;)

4/19/2010 UPDATE:

Got mine in 2 days ago , been playing it ever since , one word ,great!
I prefer it over the Zendrive,and Wampler ecstasy.It has that sweet OD tube amp sound
you get when you dime the amp. Very creamy, ala 60's 50 watt marshall on 11!

Last edited:

Trending Topics