Cedar Creek Cases - BEWARE

Discussion in 'The Gear Reviews' started by Randolph, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Randolph

Randolph Supporting Member

Guys,

I wanted to post a thread to share my experiences with Cedar Creek cases. I was on the hunt for a nice case for one of my guitars so I decided to go with them. In order to get is right, they have you down load and fill out a sheet that has you take dimensions from multiple points on the guitar and they ask you to take a huge sheet of paper and actually trace the instrument. So I did that, sent it in and off we went. This was in December and I was told there was a 3 month build time for the case. When the case arrived in March, not only was the material around the body 1.5" off all the way around, there was no groove cut out for the neck to rest in up around the 15th fret. There was a groove for the neck around the 5th fret but another one was needed. so the guitar did not sit flush in the case and the guitar was not snug around the body. I reached out to them and they agreed to pay for shipping so I could send it back. After a short time, they told me it was on me, that they built it off my measurements and it would cost over $200 + shipping back ($65) to fix. I explained that the lack of a groove for the neck couldn't be my mistake but they wouldn't budge. I even filed a claim with the BBB but it didn't help. I tried to argue the shipping cost but they were holding the case hostage, so I paid the shipping and got the case back and now I'm stuck with a $500 case that I have to hack up and modify. Just a heads up, they were unreasonable and the product is sub par. The latches are cheap and the case doesn't even line up with itself when closed. I'll post pictures shortly but for now, if you are looking into a custom case, look elsewhere.

2. pima1234

pima1234 Member

That is a terrible shame. The Cedar Creek case that came with a nice guitar I used to own was one of the absolute finest I've ever had.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  3. Randolph

You know what, I saw a Kevin Chubbuck Mousa 2 Hollow body that came with a gator skin Cedar Creek case and it was great, which is why I decided to buck up $500. Oh well.

4. EL 34 X2

EL 34 X2 Member

I've been wanting a custom case for the guitar in my avatar. I've been considering Cedar Creek for quite a while. But I've seen several bad experiences with Cedar Creek over that time and held off. Sorry to hear of your problems with them. I would be frustrated too.

5. pima1234

pima1234 Member

By the way, they may be a bit more, but give Pegasus Cases a look.

http://www.pegasus-cases.com/guit.html

Sam is a good guy and builds a heck of a nice guitar case!

Had my classical guitar case from him for over 12 years now. Replaced the handle with a nice one from Brettuns Village to extend its life for... ever, maybe?

Jabberwocky likes this.
  6. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Member

pima1234 likes this.
  7. pima1234

pima1234 Member

Those Hoffee cases look very nice. I would love to own one!

Why on earth are they charging extra for straps, though?

My Pegasus came with a hearty leather strap.

All case handles should be metal or reinforced with metal. The leather/cardboard ones will wear out eventually.

Now if I could get Brettuns to build a replacement handle for my Guild F50 case, that would prevent me from ever having to buy another replacement for that, too.

The only problem I've ever had with cases, other than the handle on my Pegasus wearing out (which Sam was willing to replace, by the way), is my Small Dog case cover strap ring broke. I'm not a fan of plastic strap rings... I'd rather pay more and sacrifice a few ounces for lifelong quality.

Jabberwocky likes this.
  8. dB

dB Member

Was the case for an Equator? If so, a very fitting way to top off what I can only assume was a terrible experience trying to just get the guitar itself.

9. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Member

I love Pegasus Cases, too, pima1234. Love the Tartan interior. Doesn't shipping it cost a lot from Scotland to Michigan? Did you get one for classical guitar?

pima1234 likes this.
  10. Seriesnuns

Seriesnuns Supporting Member

I got a custom case from Ameritage for my equator standard. Took like 4 months but I could probably throw it off the second floor and my guitar would be unharmed. It's heavy though the case. Probably 15-20 lbs.

I made a thread on it if you search my posts.

That sucks to hear. Maybe you can find a custom upholstery shop near you that can modify it so it works.

11. pima1234

pima1234 Member

I don't recall how much extra it was to have it ordered with my custom concert guitar (the one in my profile pic).

I think the builder was very generous and gave me a deal (he's out of Maryland, I was in PA still), but I'm not sure what he paid for it. As an add-on, I remember thinking it was more than worth it the extra money and the wait (I had a back-up case).

12. Randolph

Yea fitting is right :) I got the Equator about 3 years ago though as you've obviously seen, working with him has become a nightmare in itself. The guitar is awesome though but the case is cheap.

I'm actually quite handy so at the end of the day, I should be able to modify it. Still, the amount of work needed to cut the groove then re-fabric the interior, plus finding quality latches that fit or can cover up the screw holes that are currently there, is not what I wanted to do after dropping a small fortune on it.

13. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Bummer to hear that, my Charis came in a Cedar Creek case and it fits like a glove and is awesome. Now properly protecting my Charis for 10+ years??

14. andystinn

andystinn Member

I ordered a Hoffee Case almost a month ago and still have not received it. They take forever to get, and the dealer from which I ordered from was very rude to me. I have looked at several of the cases and they are excellent but the rudeness of the dealer ruined my experience getting one.

15. ArchtopAnimal

ArchtopAnimal Member

So , no pictures for this product then ?

16. Randolph

I couldn't embed that video but the link should work.

17. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

18. Randolph

yea no kidding. That POS case is still sitting in my home office taking up space!

19. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

Man that's a huge shame. The cedar Creek custom fit for my 2003 Artinger Blondie is still going strong, but then again they probably had incentive to get it right since Artinger does so much repeat business with them.