Cedar made guitar

Ron Kirn

Vendor
there are different varieties of Cedar, and different ways to make guitars, plus an unlimited list of differing components to make 'em from, so I reckon, the answer is, it's gonna sound like a guitar... However, note many acoustic makers are using Cedar for the sound board... so you can draw whatever conclusions such suggests.. but, keep in mind, acoustics are acoustics, Electrics are not...:p

Ron Kirn

Kelly

I work with cedar every day. It would probably sound fine, but it's a royal pain to finish and is really soft.

swiveltung

Some Acoustics are made with cedar tops. It's a fine tonewood. I love cedar, there are a few different types. Up here in rainy Washington state, many old fence posts were made of split cedar. These last 50 years or more in the damp wet ground. There are some here locally still from when I was a kid that long ago.
The perfume out of good old growth cedar is so strong when cutting it it may make your eyes water. I did the overhead in White Port Orford Cedar on a sailboat I built. That perfume was super strong... so much my eyes were watering the whole time I was cutting it up on the table saw.
I have a big cedar burl I have had sitting for about 16 years now. I hope to get around to making a solidbody guitar out of it. Not sure how that twisted swirled cedar is going to sound but I bet its gonna be unique looking! Spruce as used in many acoustic tops is pretty soft also, but less crack prone than cedar.

somecafone

I have an acoustic with a cedar top in lieu of the more common spruce.
I would say it has a slightly softer attack, and a slightly more pronounced and round midrange.
There is a tiny bit of what I perceive as a "classical" (nylon) tone to the guitar, even though it's very much a steel string.
But these differences are very slight. If I were to gig with it (I have another I gig with), they would probably be lost.

Da Geezer

I have a Seagull Entourage Rustic with a cedar sound board....sounds wonderful
The back and sides are cherry, maple neck

Ncp10

Depends on the piece of cedar...pickups don't lie, but they can be different. Experience is the best teacher. You might hear/sense something someone else doesn't.

Whiskeyrebel

Silver Supporting Member
It would probably vibrate like crazy playing near a loud amp. I remember splitting dry cedar for kindling. With a really straight grained piece, when you got a thin slice broken loose from the chunk it would ring with a BONG sound.

Jayyj

Silver Supporting Member
I take it you mean the stuff that is often used for acoustic and classical soundboards? The name cedar gets used for a couple of different woods. Classical guitar necks are made out a wood usually referred to as Spanish cedar or cedrela which is a hardwood closely related to mahogany and totally unrelated to western red cedar, which is a soft wood. Spanish cedar is a great wood for guitar bodies, having similar properties to mahogany but typically a fair bit lighter. Gordon Smith are the only maker I know of who regularly user it for bodies but it works very well indeed.

I've used red cedar for a mandolin build a long time ago and hated working with it due to its softness and easiness to mark.

Metal Tiger

Spanish cedar is being used, almost exclusively for bodies, by Ruokangas. I have a Mojo Grande with a Spanish Cedar body/arctic brich top and it is great!

GeLoFi

Spanish cedar is more like mahogany. I don't beleive the cedar found on most acoustics is Spanish cedar.

Do Godin not use ceder to make some of their guitars, I know that they use wild cherry to make both the '5th Avenue' acoustic and '5TH Acenue King Pin', and they not only sound really good, but smell good too, they just as good as a plug in air freshener.

edwarddavis

Gold Supporting Member
They sound fine line mahogany to me
Owned two Kauer's and they are warm soundinging like Les paul from my experience
Not heavy either

jalmer

Godin brand Cedar tops are nice. As I understand it, there is not as much change in Cedar top tone over time as there with Spruce tops which AIUI are brighter. I have an older Seagull S6 dread and an older Art and Lutherie parlor Ami. Both Cedar. Tops scratch easily, add character, but will lower resale.

Da Geezer

Do Godin not use ceder to make some of their guitars, I know that they use wild cherry to make both the '5th Avenue' acoustic and '5TH Acenue King Pin', and they not only sound really good, but smell good too, they just as good as a plug in air freshener.
Yes...my Seagull/Godin Entourage has that combo....cherry back/sides, cedar top

Ron Kirn

Vendor
yes, Spanish Cedar is one of the Mahoganies.. other than the name, nothing in common with actual cedar... well. . . other than both are wood.. :p

Ron Kirn

Trending Topics

Top Bottom