Cele Blue vs Red Fang, decision time...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Madison, May 24, 2005.

1. Madison

Madison Supporting Member

How would these two compare in an 1x12 open back cab with a 22watt amp at high gigging volume? Would the Blue get flubby on the low E due to the 15watt rating? Would a closed back make any positive difference.

I'm now using a single Vintage 30 which I love, but am looking to add an extension cab and want something a "different color".

2. Deaj

Deaj Silver Supporting Member

No experience with the Blue here but I have had the Red Fang in both sealed and open back 1x12 cabs and it held together very well with 30 watts driving it.

3. dehughes

dehughes Member

The Celestion Blue does just fine in my Top Hat Club Royale 1x12.....FWIW. I think that most would say that the higher rated wattage of the Red Fang would make it a safer bet in your 22w amp.

BTW, what kind of amp is it?

david

4. Madison

It's a Z28. After much waffling, I went ahead and ordered an Avatar G112 open back with a Blue today. I'll mostly run it along with my 112 Z cab so hopefully it'll be okay. I can also use an 18watt Ghia if need be, although I greatly prefer the 28.

Thanks for the advice guys.:D

5. michaelg

michaelg Member

red fang is nice, blue sounds better IMHO

6. Blueser

Blueser Member

Agreed! I really love Fanes too! 100 watts of Alnico sweetness for the same price as a Blue! It doesn't have all of the top end sweetness of the Blue, but it is smoother, and the bottom holds together even while pounding it! I like it better than a Blue actually!

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

cool thoughts, Blue, cause i'm really interested in getting a Fane myself.

madi,

the blue is glossier with a rounder feel. the fang's a bit harsher and more aggressive with a raunchier feel.

low end wise, i think either one is about the same, with the edge going to the blue, cause it does have an interestingly taut low end, while the fang feels a tad deeper.

8. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

Any place,s that you know where the best speaker Prices,I would like to get a Red Fang.

9. Madison

Red Fang, $109.00 + ship.

http://www.avatarspeakers.com/

10. hasserl

hasserl Member

I'll beat that deal on a slightly used 16 ohm RF. Email me if interested.

11. pitbull45

pitbull45 Member

How's the Weber Alnico Bluedog compare to RedFang?

12. Blueser

Blueser Member

Jae,

Shoot me an e-mail. I just got my THD cab loaded with a pair of Fanes for my SLO. They sound incredible, and they are not even broken in.

B

13. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

Blueser...

Can you start a new thread about your new Fanes? I'm also interested in them and would like more info.

14. zenpeace69

zenpeace69 Member

The red fang is a neat speaker, but it isn't a blue. If you want blue tones get the blue. The fang just doesn't sound enough like the blue. It can handle more gain, but it lacks that rich, woody thing that the blue does when it's driven.

For what it's worth, I have a fang mixed with a weber G12h-30 clone in my THD2x12 and it's an excellent mix. I had two fangs, but more fang just exposed it's weakness tonally. It can get a bit pinched sounding for lead lines. It compresses a lot, but not in the nice way that the blue can. Get the blue and wallow in its aura...

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

sounds like you had your pair running in series.

16. Riscchip

Riscchip Member

Both speakers compress a lot running that close to the limit, in my experience. I think you're gonna sound pretty round and thick with a 22 watt amp, and it's going to be a lot different than a V30 which is barely breaking a sweat at 22 watts. It's going to sound very round, very compressed.

I'm a big fan of the red fang and the blue both. I like the way the red fang compresses, myself. I have a 2x12 with one of each that I use with my Carmen Ghia. Sounds killer. If I was just using one, I'd probably pick the fang for dirty, blue for clean.

17. Madison

That's the conclusion I came to as well. Z told me the 28 is definitely too much for a single Blue...but I have to have it!

My in house plan is to not exceed 6 on the 28 volume or use the Ghia, gigging plan is to daisy chain the Avatar/Blue to the Vintage 30 Z cab.

18. zenpeace69

zenpeace69 Member

I wired them a number of different ways. I read that review on HC, too. Didn't make a difference tonally. Now that it is mixex with the weber I love it. They sound beautiful together. Nothing like blues would, but beautiful.

19. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

I use a pair of alnico weber blue dog 30 watt speakers in an open back Kingsley 2x12 cab. It sounds very nice with my Z28. Whatever speaker you do get, be sure to understand that it will sound significantly better after a fairly long break in period. That's how it was with my Webers.

taco