Celebration of heavy weight guitars thread.

rizla

This is a thread dedicated to the power, glory and beastliness of the behemoths that only a peak human, or average everyday people, can wrestle and subdue.
Pics and weight and tonal descriptors would be awesome. Tell us what you love about it.

No light weight whiners here, thanks. Its not a discussion about heavy vs light guitars, its just about heavier guitars that we like or have owned.
There are a 1000 other threads discussing the virtues of light weight guitars, this isnt one of them. If you want to discuss your light guitars, go elsewhere.

This is my paulownia Tele. It weighs in at just over 5 pounds. Sometimes it’s a struggle to lift the whole thing up onto my shoulders, but I do my best to manage. I love it because my daughter painted the body and I put it together and did all the other work. When I play it on stage it usually only takes two roadies to help me get it on.

B032F13A-2B30-4CEB-8AE5-0F07E5D974C4.jpeg

RevDrucifer

Gold Supporting Member
80345EFD-C3A1-4032-847F-10472529685A.jpeg

Easily the heaviest guitar I own and I had to chuckle due to the weight when I picked it up (It’s black and grey, the purple tint is due to the LED’s in my living room) Set neck mahogany and it’s a pretty damn thick body. If this thing were under 10lbs I’d be quite surprised, it’s heavier than any Explorer I’ve ever played before. I wanted a straight up metal guitar, didn’t care about versatility a single bit and this gave me exactly what I wanted. It’s a Solar FB E-type (they’ve got weird model names I can never remember). Ebony fingerboard, stainless steel frets and there’s a push/pull coil tap on the tone pot. It can certainly get other tones out of it than just chugga chugga, but I’ve got other guitars for that.

The weight of this thing mixed with the playability and neck shape (medium C) just screams “Play heavy riffs on me!”

rizla

This is my paulownia Tele. It weighs in at just over 5 pounds. Sometimes it’s a struggle to lift the whole thing up onto my shoulders, but I do my best to manage. I love it because my daughter painted the body and I put it together and did all the other work. When I play it on stage it usually only takes two roadies to help me get it on.

View attachment 547290
I really like the design and colors!

5pounds? is that a typo?

My two heaviest guitars are a Norlin era 1973 Les Paul Custom, and a 2000 DeArmond M75T (similar to a Guild Blues Bird or a Gretsch Sparkle Jet)
Whenever I haven't played either of these guitars in a while, I definitely notice their weight when I first pick them up again, but I get used to it pretty quickly.
Incidentally the DeArmond has 2K single coil pickups which sound like a great P90.
My most recent purchase is a new Gibson LP Standard 60s model that Sweetwater weighed it at 9 lbs., 4 oz., which is also heavy. I don't know the weight of the two previously mentioned, but they both feel heavier than the new one.

Yamaha 1421

Well it is long gone to a collector but it was like new when I owned it and sold it and the construction was REALLY well done. It also really played nice and sounded great and they are a pretty rare piece. But was it heavy? you dam right it was! Aria "Super Twin" 6&12 String.
54IlYAo.jpg
8qVwVop.jpg
LKMdX4G.jpg
8O4t18C.jpg
4TlsMaR.jpg
hhzc6OM.jpg
9NrU6hw.jpg

Last edited:

BlackSG91

My 2014 Godin Belmont is made of solid Mahogany along with the neck that has a Rosewood FB. I had a chance to weigh my guitar sometime ago with a luggage weight scale using the guitar strap with Schaller strap locks. My Godin Belmont weighed in at around 11 1/2 lbs. This explains why I like sitting down when playing this guitar. :crazy

wBWYvgC.jpeg

0RH2ZVA.jpeg

Last edited:

Nevets

Silver Supporting Member
I had a couple of 10lb Agile AL2000's some years ago. I wasn't an experienced internet guitarist back then so I didn't understand why so many online reviews pointed out the weight. Since I mostly played sitting down, no real issues.

makeitstop

Old dude with guitars
Platinum Supporting Member
From left: '82 LP Standard, '81 LP Custom, '76 Electra Omega.

Every one of them 10 pounds on the nose. I've been gigging with them lately and I don't really mind the weight at all. If I get a little sore I've got a bottle of Aleve, so it's all good. :cool:

275262528_10227945145833816_1124657945501791984_n.jpg

Trending Topics

Top Bottom