Celebrity upcharge

guitz

Regarding music gear, or anything really I guess, what % of retail would you attribute to the celebrity name being attached to it?...I'll go with about 60-80%!

80%20cable_zps31nzevdp.png

I mean, $82 for a guitar cable??...And your guitars internal wiring is a usually a teeny tiny small fraction of gauge they use in a cable, so you can't equate the inflated price to larger gauge wiring, your not GAINING anything signalwise (though you could argue it could benefit super long runs, but this is your standard 20-25 footer). No matter how magical the cable, it simply cannot add anything to the signal as it's heading out the output jack. And yet, miraculously, people BUY this stuff!

So this is another ingenious moneygrab by tapping a celebrity name to inflate the price. Genius and ingenious

Last edited:

Chandyland

Silver Supporting Member
Expensive cables are all a ripoff anyway. The only property of a cable that has been proven to matter is the capacitance of it. Anyone that tells you otherwise is full of it. Or they at least better have a VERY thorough study to back it up.

I thought I was being extravagant for insisting on and refusing to use anything other than the black braided Fender Custom Shop cables when I'm not using my shure wireless setup. But US$82.00 for just under 6 meters, is taking extravagance to a whole new level, I reckon of that $82.00, $55.00 of it if not more is going towards the celebrity endorsement, and use of image...

Reactions: Rod
It's not about the cable. Just like a signature guitar isn't about the guitar or music. It's fan swag. Are tour tshirts really worth $40? No, and 99.9% of people know they aren't priced that way because of the quality or craftsmanship.

1941WillysMB

I spend that on a week's worth of groceries.

Unless it has tech that changes the signal to make my playing sound better, I'll pass.

70 Mach 1

Silver Supporting Member
whuuut!. you mean i wont play and sound like JB. dang my 45 day return is over too. :(

It's not about the cable. Just like a signature guitar isn't about the guitar or music. It's fan swag. Are tour tshirts really worth $40? No, and 99.9% of people know they aren't priced that way because of the quality or craftsmanship.

I don't know, I've bought some really really good quality tour T-Shirts from quite a few bands, and christ knows how many free merchandise T-Shirts, hoodies and beanies from brands like Fender, Gibson, Marshall, Gretsch, Ernie Ball and numerous other that I have been sent, that are again, excellant quality, I'm talking about thick heavy 100% cotton T-Shirts, and hoodies, beanies that have never lost their shape or stretched. In fact the quality of a lot of the merchandise has seriously impressed me most of the time.

I spend that on a week's worth of groceries.

Unless it has tech that changes the signal to make my playing sound better, I'll pass.

Taking the exchange rate into account that's like a little over two months worth of groceries for my household.

Last edited:

Sweetfinger

Gold Supporting Member
Depends on the celebrity. Ex. 1, those crappy EVH pots. You can probably buy them without the name for a buck and a half, but put the ol' red, white and black on 'em and they're nine bucks.
Ex. 2, Roy Smeck's personal Harmony H-62 guitar, which you can see in the "Wizard of The Strings" documentary: I bought it for the same as I'd have paid for a non-celeb owned one.

Astronaut FX

Silver Supporting Member
If it's an endorsement deal for an item that is exactly like, or at least somewhat close to what the artist actually uses, or is not significantly marked up because of the inclusion of their name, I have no real problem with that.

But if it's an item the endorsing artist doesn't actually use, and/or it's marked up significantly simply because of the inclusion of their name, I kind of see that as a big FU from the artist to their fan base.

GGinMP

Expensive cables are all a ripoff anyway. The only property of a cable that has been proven to matter is the capacitance of it. Anyone that tells you otherwise is full of it. Or they at least better have a VERY thorough study to back it up.

I'd respectfully disagree. Build quality is important. Cables with weak spots at the plug are more likely to break and short out. That being said, well built ones may run $20, and certainly don't need to cost $80.

edro

If someone offered you an endorsement deal with points, you'd all jump on it and you know it.... :banana

That being said, there are folks out there that snap that **** up right and left thinking it is magic.

Lots of Snake oil in the music biz... :stir

Rhino x3

I think that "most" high end, amazing new technology cables are wasted on something as lo-fi as guitar amps but...many years ago, when I was setting out to put together an "audiophile" home stereo, I went to a ĺocal high end audio store and auditioned a bunch of gear. The super helpful sales guy sat me down in their critical listening room and , after I had chosen a preamp, power amp and speakers, told me to close my eyes while he tried various cables. Most were OK or slightly better or worse, but then he tried yet another and it was like whoa, what was *that*? Turns out it was a pair of custom made speaker cables that someone had traded in. $750 new, I got them for I think around $35 each....so I think in certain situations cables can make a pretty big difference, and, like his playing or not, ol' Joe gets a pretty good sound out of all that gear of his.

Chandyland

Silver Supporting Member
I'd respectfully disagree. Build quality is important. Cables with weak spots at the plug are more likely to break and short out. That being said, well built ones may run $20, and certainly don't need to cost $80.

Well yes, okay haha. I should have clarified that build quality is also very important. I would argue, though, that build quality and capacitance are the only two things that matter when it comes to guitar cables.

What I really meant to say in my above post is that if a $20 cable and an $80 cable have the same build quality and degree of reliability AND the same capacitance, then there will (or should, at least) be no sonic difference between the two.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom