Celestain Alinco Blue question........

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by OldSchool, Aug 16, 2005.

1. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I just ordered a bottom from Avatar with Alinco blues..........Dave said it was the best for what I'm gonna be using it for.........my only problem as that they are only rated for 15 w a piece. Thats 30watts total. I have a 45 watt head..........he said it would be fine as long as I don't dime it which I didn't intend to do........but is this really going to be optimal for me? Who here has played them and what kind of head did you use? Are they really all that?

2. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

They are awesome sounding speakers! It's not hype, IMO! They seem to mate particulary well with EL84 Vox-type amps!

3. fatback

fatback Member

Great sounding speaker!

I play a Deluxe reverb (@ 20watts) with a Blue in it and wouldn't change a thing. These speakers sound great clean, but sound even better when slightly pushed.

My buddy has used a Blue in his Classic 30 for 2 years of heavy playing and has had no problems at all.

I know Splatt uses a Blue loaded 2x12 with his Pitbull45, but he also has a Hotplate in the formula.

You should be fine.

4. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Member

I use 2 Blues with my Dr Z 6545 head that is rated @ about 45 watts. I e-mailed the good Dr and he I have to be careful but should be O.K. I haven't blown one yet but don't dime it either. He also said to wire them in parallel for max power handling rather than in series.

Joe

5. Madison

Madison Supporting Member

I recently used one Cele Blue in an Avatar with a Z28 and was told the same thing...don't dime the amp unless I was running two speakers. After a month or so I became weary of constantly watching the volume and sold it.

Other than that, it is one awesome piece of work...very loud & efficient, strong articulate bottom and chimey top. Downside, at least for my tastes, it compresses pretty good when pushed. I've since ordered a 50w Weber Blue dog so I can rest easy when cranking the amp!

6. QuickDraw

QuickDraw Member

IMO the gold standard in speakers

my precious

7. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Member

Sorry, forgot to say.. Yes they are All that! I was going thru the EXACT same dilema as you. If you're not going to dime them (like me) I say get them if you can swing the $. You'll always be wondering "What if". You could also consider the Red fangs. They are rated at 30 watts apiece. They came out just after I bought the Blues last year.

Joe

8. RichSZ

RichSZ Member

They are all that. Couple things I've noticed:

The 15w rating is pretty conservative. Mine have handled my FTR 37 cranked in half power mode (using a single Blue), as well as a little over 2/3 volume in full power mode (again, just the single Blue).

I get a little more carful when the bass is cranked up and I'm operating over the wattage limit, but nothing has happened so far.

You may also notice the speakers are pretty damn tight and it takes some significant hours of playing at volume to loosen them up. I've had 'em for over a year and they still sound tight compared to some older ones I have a chance to play.

And with el84's these things rock!

-Rich

9. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Thanks for all the comments........I figured Dave wouldn't sell me something that would blow up and cuase him grief.......but your experiences will help me sleep better until it arrives.

My Amp actually has a built in attuntetor with 4 6V6's so I should be golden............. :dude

10. GreenTea

GreenTea Member

Regarding using w/a 12W Aiken Tomcat head (and 1x12 spkr cab)... how might the Blue sound? I have a Red Fang but am wondering if I'd really enjoy the difference. I think so... just wondering if it would be in the :dude category.

11. big hair

big hair Member

Doesn't somebody else do a version which is almost identical except it is 50w???

12. JES1680

JES1680 Silver Supporting Member

GreenTea,
    I run my Tomcat with Blues. I've run it through a 1x12 cab and now have a 2x12 cab with Blues. Its my prefered speaker for the Tomcat. I actually like the 1x12 better than the 2x12, but finding a good 1x12 open back cab has been tough.
    Can't compare to the Red Fang as I've never even heard one of those.

13. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Blues are great. I'd have no problem at all using them with a 45W head, but's just a matter of a reasonable risk/tone tradeoff. If you know that you will dime your amps and thrash them with power chords, then no, I would not suggest you take the risk. But if you are like most players and use your amp below max and are intelligent about it, the odds are extremely good you will never have trouble.

Using the car/tire analogy again.....just because my car can go 130mph, doesn't mean I need to buy 130mph speed rated tires for it. Do you run your amps full bore and wail away on the bass strings with the neck pickup and a pedal? If so, choose a speaker that is 150% of your amps max output power because you will need it. Make an intelligent choice.

Same thing with tubes...if I refused to use amps that exceeded the max recommended ratings, I'd not be able to use some of my favorite amps-like a BFDR or AC30 and most any of the many derivatives of those amps.

Sometimes you can take a bit of calculated risk in the interest of tone, IMHO. We're not talking about a space shuttle mission after all....it's only tone.:D

14. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Basically what Dave told me. I should be all right with the built in attunator. I'll use common sense for sure. But at $500 for the pair..........it is a bit of a risk..........:(

15. riffmeister

Ditto.....I thought the Blue sounded really really good in a Tomcat 1x12. I greatly preferred it to the stock speaker.......

16. celestion101

celestion101 Silver Supporting Member

Hi Guys,
    The rating on our speakers is indeed somewhat conservative (across the board). That said, common sense is always an important factor, but you should be fine. I play out a few nights a week using the Blues (for large and small venues) and have never popped one. Another killer combo is the Blue paired with a G12H (as used with my FTR37)!

:dude

17. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

I've got a 30w alnico blue dog that I like to run with my Z28. It took a while to break in but now that it has it is my favorite speaker to run with the Z28. I'm loving it. Let us know how you like the 50w version.

taco

18. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

A clever thing to do here is to pair a 16-ohm Blue with an 8-ohm G12H-30 in parallel (which gives a 5.33-ohm load, safe from either a 4 or 8-ohm amp) or an 8-ohm Blue in series with a 16-ohm G12H-30 (which gives 24 ohms, safe from a 16-ohm amp).

In each case this will deliver 2/3 of the power to the G12H-30 and only 1/3 to the Blue, giving a true 45W pair, making use of the full power handling of both speakers, and compensating for the greater perceived sensitivity of the Blue (they're the same on paper, but don't sound that way in practice because the Blue has more presence in the upper mids).

I've tried this in an AC30 where I had to temporarily replace a blown Blue (the series method, even though it's not always a good idea to put mismatched speakers in series) and it sounded great.

19. riffmeister

Those damn astrophysicists think of everything!! ;)

20. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

awesome.........right from the horses mouth! What kind of head do you use with them?