Celestion 70th anniversary g12h30

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by diminishedlogic, Jun 16, 2005.

1. what do you guys think of this speaker? I think this may be better for me than the vintage 30s. Do they have a good rep??

2. doctord02

doctord02 Member

prior to Scumbag's new line of speakers, they were the best commercial offering out there for my musical tastes.

I'd pick these over V30's any day of the week.

3. ! thanks for such a quick response!

4. scottl

scottl Member

I dislike V30 tone more than anything. I do like the H30 tone!

I also like the Eminences that have been getting bashed! ;)

What amp are you matching these to? Open or closed back? 2X12 or 4X12?

5. Also how does the avatar hellatone 30 sound? (Broken in version of this speaker.)

6. I'm looking at an open ported 1 x 12. Should I be looking at 2 x 12? I'm matching this to a flexi. Scott I'm going for a reedy kinda sax tone. But probably with more drive and fatter. I'm thinking holdsworth with more gain and fatter.

7. scottl

scottl Member

8. thats some pretty phat ass tone scott. thanks about the flexi clip in advance! The whole eminence thing has left a sour taste in my mouth about emis. nothing personal. I'm just thinking of taken the tried and true route. being a kid with no job and no money.... grrr....

9. Swarty

Swarty Member

The G1230H is too scooped and bright for my tastes. I'll take Vintage 30s over them.

10. propska

propska Member

I agree. I liked the low end, but the highs were a bit too harsh. I do think that mixing a H30 with a V30 sounds pretty good except that they break up at different volumes. I got some weird gain sounds becasue of that. Ultimately I think it depends on what style of music you're going for and what amp you play through. I like the v30 for the higher gain stuff because the sound is so focused in the mids. I prefer the H30 for low to medium gain pushed amp sounds.

11. I was under the impression that this speaker was significantly LESS bright than a vintage 30. Vintage 30 speakers have that obnoxious high mid range spike.

12. Baba

Baba Supporting Member

Depends on your ears I guess, I agree with propska and swarty, I mix both in a 4x12, and have listened to them both mic'd, while the complete cab sounds good in a room, I NEVER mic the G12H30, always the V30. I may even switch over to all V30's.

All depends on what you're going for, whatever midrange spike the V30's have (according to others) I like it for my style/tones, and midrange will help you cut through a mix more than accentuating bass and treble IMO.

13. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

V30s have an annoying upper midrange bump that will make them irritating over time IMHO

Yes, some g12H30s are a liittle ice picky on the upper end -it seems to vary.

14. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I prefer the G12 H30 over the V30. To me the upper mids on the V30 just wear me out. If I want a little bark, I'll get the greenback instead. The V30 sounds very impressive at first but soon grows tiring. I remember talking to Dr Z and he said the same thing, actually I think his favorite combo was a V30 and a H30 in a 2" x 12" cabinet. The G12 H seems more neutral to my ears and more eq able of the two, it's very hard if not impossible to take out the peak on the V30's. The upper end character of the H30 doesn't bother me as much as the V30's upper midrange, probably because peoples ears are the most sensitive to midranged tones. I have a Hellatone speaker and really like it. I can't comment on side by side with the stock Celsestion but it is the same exact speaker except they probably wipe off some excess doping, but I don't know for sure.

Longer likes this.
  15. which one will give me a "fatter" sound?

16. Swarty

Swarty Member

If fat means full bodied, the Vintage 30. The 30H is quite scooped sounding, which accentuates the lows, but it is void of mids, especially low-mids. With Vintage 30s I hear more of a low-mid spike than a high-mid spike, which to me equals warmth.

17. Mike

Mike Member