Celestion A-type vs G12-65

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by effectsman, Jul 11, 2018.

1. effectsman

effectsman Supporting Member

Anyone spent significant time with both?

I’m looking to put one in a ported 1x12.

Looking for rich mids, soft treble and clear bass. Looking to use with a clean amp plus several drive pedals.

2. MrDoty

MrDoty Member

Sounds like he 1265 is your speaker. I spoke to the celestion rep and he told me the 1265 is celestion a best speaker for clean AND dirty tones. Some are better at either or, but the 1265 is the best at both.

abnerfm likes this.
  3. Humble Texan Fan

Humble Texan Fan Member

"Rich mids"... would that be quantatively so or otherwise? I'm quite sure that some would pitch the modern V30 having read that, but I'm sure that's not what you're looking for. ;) You probably want something in the opposite direction here.

Both speakers are quite gentle through the midrange, where the A-type is rounder and smoother... more forgiving, like a Goodmans. The 65 has more character to it and this presence fang to prevent it from getting lost in the fog, but on the other hand can be a bit... monotone or fatiquing.

I would go out on a limb and say that the A takes nastier dirt better. The 65 does have its vintage thing going, for sure, although the RI doesn't really do the original justice I think.

Then the tonal aspects you're looking for I would seek with other brands that have this more naturally. Fane is one.

abnerfm and FM1968 like this.
  4. effectsman

Yes you are right about the V30. I’ve owned it twice and ending up selling it both times because of the spike. It also emphasizes the high mids a lot.

I’m in Australia so we don’t have access to as large a range as you do in the US. In Celestions I’ve tried many of theirs and getting the mid range I like without excess treble or bass seems to be the hard part, and then take into account the fact that for this 1x12 I need a speaker with 50W+ power handling. I tend to favor M magnets over H. Have tried Creamback H75 and M65, V30, Gold and Alnico Cream in the high powered range.

I’ve listened to a few Fane clips. Which would you suggest? The A60 or F70?

5. abnerfm

abnerfm Member

Which amp are you using?

6. effectsman

3rd Power Dream Weaver - has a Bassman side and a bass spec plexi side. 3rd Power likes V30s, but only in their specially designed cabs which I don’t have.

7. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

If you like M’s but with more power, look at Scumbacks. You can get an M in 75 or 55 hz and up to 100 watt. Great speakers.

8. Humble Texan Fan

Humble Texan Fan Member

Like they do in the US, mate. ;) You see my roots are firm in the european soil. This means that I typically have to buy on chance/ experience and if my research is correct... hopefully I know in before hand what I'm in for. Hence my try-outs of plenty and listening through a myriade of speakers, I suppose.

Oh, a fellow M guy, I see. Unfortunately the only M mag Fane these days is in the form of the Avatar M65, available only through them. Probably my fav of the current Fane models, perhaps

The 60/70 Fanes really try to do the '60s and '70s sound - which is to say in some ways comparable to the Celestion creams. They sound very much alike, the 60 and the 70, the 60 perhaps being a bit neater in range and interestingly a bit thinner sounding to my ears. The 70 seems to dish up more meat and some additional bite.

Then, talking about M mags with a rich midrange and in the Fane vein the Eminence GB12 springs to mind. It's sans dope, which means that it has plenty of texture for a 50W speaker. But then it's smooth enough not to let this come to excess.

Finally I'd like to push a bit for the WGS Invader, which after many twists and turns is what I use for lead these days. A bit full, yet tight and with good, rounded mids. Some critisise it for being infact too shy in the highend, which suits me just fine. This, I feel, allows it to take to dirt extremely well without sounding harsh, cluttered or muddled. And I just love how it takes to pedal dirt particularly as it just cannot go tinny or very papery at all.

9. Humble Texan Fan

Humble Texan Fan Member

However pushed the A60 obviously displays some nice alnico character, for sure. This I believe is the Fryette version of the A60 giving off the goods. Perhaps not your style of music, but nonetheless a great demo, I think. Then even a ceramic driver tends to fill out and come alive more when pushed.

10. effectsman

Does anyone have access to any clean, low and medium gain clips with G12-65s? Lots of demos are using them to tame fizzy Marshall amps, but I became aware of them because they are the speaker of choice for Two Rock amps, and are used by players like Robben Ford and Matt Schofield, so they must be good for low gain tones.

11. ES330

ES330 Supporting Member

VOX TB18c1 6v6 amp uses the G12-65. Many demos available for this amp.

12. Dead-Pan

Dead-Pan Member

A Type seems more modern and very dark in general. Both are darker speakers.

A Type is super at cleans.

13. amphog

amphog Silver Supporting Member

I would avoid a ported cab, adds bass where you do not need it.