Celestion A Type vs V Type?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Figaro, Feb 18, 2018.

1. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

Looking for comparisons of these speakers...

s360guitarist likes this.
  2. DRS

DRS Member

Don't own both. Sorry. I have a A in an open pine cab. All I can say is the A type takes all the best aspects of the "American" sound and fixes the issues.

3. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

Does the A Type have a full (low end) sound?

4. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

I currently have two A-Type speakers in my oval, open back Glaswerks 2 x 12. Using it with my powered Kemper. I had G12-65's in that cabinet for years, and loved what they did with the many D Style amps I have owned. Found that the G12-65's weren't quite as versatile as I wanted after acquiring the Kemper (so many tones available) so I went on a bit of a mini speaker search. Tried, and quite liked, the V-Type speakers for everything BUT the D-Style sounds in the Kemper. Thought to my ears anyway, the V-Type sounded like a refined V-30 (in a good way) but still didn't have the overall tones I was looking for. Found them a little thin in the top end, and slightly lacking in the low end. Especially in a 1 x 12 format. On the flip side, I really liked them as a speaker of choice in the Michael Landau 2 x 12 Hot Rod Deville I owned for a year before acquiring the Kemper.
    Near the end of last year I went to see Simon Jarrett and his band Rocket Science play at a local venue. Killer tones. Killer player. Simon was using his newly developed D-Style preamp pedals though the loop of his Kingsley Earl (power only) and the tones were spectacular. I took particular note (from where I was seated) to the 2 x 12 Kingsley cabinet he was using and how great it sounded. I asked after the show what he was using, and to my surprise he said he had a Celestion A-Type on the top (cabinet was on it's end due to no space on the stage) and a Celestion Alnico Gold on the bottom.
    I ordered one A-Type from my local Long & McQuade the next day. Spent about a week comparing it to the V-Type and I had as well as the G12-65's. From the get go I noticed a really nice (musical) "smoothness" and "reveal" to my tones that weren't there with the other speakers. No spikes. No valleys. Just REALLY nice overall, smooth tones. Still very versatile (from bright to dark) but all the time smooth, with an uncanny "reveal" to the notes. Wasn't long before I had unhooked the other speakers and was simply using a single A-Type in my 2 x 12. Decided that I liked it enough to order another one. That one arrived about 2 weeks ago and I haven't looked back or at any other speaker since. The cabinet (and the speakers) now have a wonderful warmth and richness to any tone I throw at it. Yes, as was asked earlier. The A-Type has a GREAT, full low end. Sounds spectacular with the Michael Britt Dumble profiles (Keith Urbans old Dumble) and my newly downloaded Tone Junkie TS-1 profiles. Especially the Tone Junkie TS-1 lead bypass profile. Wow! Oh so close to the real deal. Sounds great clean as well as driven.
    As Pete Thorn put it in his demo. "These speakers came out of left field and caught him totally by surprise." Ditto for yours truly! A stated earlier Celestion has fixed everything that was lacking in an American Type speaker by adding a slight touch of mid Atlantic to the mix. Haven't been this impressed with a speaker in I can't remember when.

:)

dani_boy79, JK1965 and Figaro like this.
  5. troublehead

troublehead Member

I own both.....though I’m not currently using either. They are totally different.

V-Type is like a V30/H30 cross to my ears. It has some peaky presence that I don’t care for. But it’s not broken in yet either.

The A-Type is smoother with a more even EQ response. Lots of mids, but no annoying peaks anywhere. The fuller EQ curve makes it sound less 3-D than the V-Type (or most other Celestions in general). It’s a cool speaker, but it neuters my Marshall style amps.

Great concept on both speakers......budget friendly and one each for the British and American camp. But you can pay $50 more and get something much better.

Figaro likes this.
  6. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

Please tell about the much better speaker.

7. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

Sounds like the A Is my “type” of Celestion. I had a WGS Reaper HP speaker years ago that sounded like a cross between a Jensen and a Celestion. Sounds like the A Type has a similar sound, which would be great.

8. JK1965

JK1965 Silver Supporting Member

Absolutely love the A Type. Killer speaker

9. GA20T

GA20T Member

I was somewhat critical of the "A" in one of my postings on here recently. I was trying to use it with a 50 watt JC-50 and a Princeton Reverb type hand-wired amp and while I was very pleased with the rolled-off-but-never-dull top end (big issue I have with speakers in general), I found it to be a bit non-existent and undefined in the bass.

But I picked up an old 50 watt tube head and have been using it with that lately. Yeah, it's got a great bottom end, breaks up nicely with no rasp or fizzle, and the amp's tone control range is versatile because of the pleasing/smooth top end. It's a really good speaker, but it definitely didn't work for me with the lower-powered stuff—probably just takes more power to wake it up. *Yes, the JC is supposedly 50 watts, but it doesn't have half what my 50 watter puts out for low end.

Figaro and JK1965 like this.
  10. bigben55

bigben55 Member

Have no experience with the V Type, but hear it's closer to the V30 than anything else, and I don't like V30s.

Had an A Type, loved it. And i don't generally love Celestions. I thought is sounded like a Jensen/Fender type speaker dipped in Celestion sauce. More mids but balanced, not honk, not spiky but not lacking anything really. I currently have a Reaper HP and like it a lot too. It's louder and cleaner, but NOT too different than the A Type. A mid scooped Celestion still has more mids than most Fender-esque speakers. The WGS is smooth too.

11. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

So glad to hear from someone who has the A Type and the Reaper HP. So you think they sound about the same except the Reaper HP is louder?

12. bigben55

bigben55 Member

I had the A Type in a BF Fender Pro Reverb, paired with first an Eminence Wizard that totally buried it. Then paired with a Texas Heat, better but still louder. Then a 35 watt Mojotone/Eminence alnico. THAT was the combination! But I sold that amp.

The Reaper HP is in my Dr Z Z28, so different amps for sure. The Reaper HP might have a tad more treble and bass, but the mid response is pretty similar. It's definitely louder and cleaner. I know what I like in a speaker and I like them both!

Figaro likes this.