Celestion Alnico Blue vs Fane AXA12 Alnico?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Fretmaster, Sep 3, 2005.

1. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

I am a Celestion Blue fanatic! To my ears there has never been a better sounding speaker made. But the 15 watt power handling limits their application quite a bit. I have not had first hand experience with the Fane Alnico's in a long, long time and have never done a head to head with these two. I am guessing the Fanes are going to be more dynamic (less compressed), louder and offer more headroom due to the 100 watt power handling. What I cannot recollect is how their tone compares. I don't know why I haven't looked into this sooner. If they sound anywhere near as good as the Celestion Blues they would make the perfect solution for high powered 2x12 applications. Any way.. any input from anyone who has experience with these two speakers would be greatly apprecaited!

Steve

2. Stevo57

Stevo57 Supporting Member

Steve, I just sold a blue on the emporium and am bidding on a Fane on ebay cuz I want to know the same thing first hand. I have a Fargen VOS that will be done shortly, and I want to a/b the Fane and V 30 which Ben recommends with the VOS. I love blues and a 4x12 like you have would handle the load and be amazing but a little too big and loud for my small studio. I'm sure theres a difference because of the fiberglass voice coil construction, but I need to hear it myself. I've had it described to me as smoother with less mid emphasis.

3. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

The Fane is a bit like the Celestion's aggressive big brother - very musical, if somewhat more tough sounding. Sounds good clean or dirty, loud or quiet. VERY nice speaker.

4. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

Thanks for the reply Stevo. I have a pile of 16 and 8 ohms Blues and I love them. But like you I am really interested in how they compare. I love the mid emphasis of the Blues so I hope I'm not disappointed with the Fanes. It would be a dream come true to be able to run a 50+ watt rig in a 2x12 package! We'll have trade opinions when we each get a chance to give them a shot.:)

5. Hipster Dofus

Hipster Dofus Member

Have you tried the 30w Weber Blue Dogs?

6. take1carry1

take1carry1 Supporting Member

I have tried both and prefer the Fanes. They have similar tonal qualities to the CB's but are just monster speakers, able to handle multiple times the input and still maintain their integrity.
    My K&M (production #9, built to Emerald Pro specs before there were EP's) through a Two Rock 2-12 with Fanes is a great combination. The Fane's are strong and tonally tight at any volume or attack.

7. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

I've had them side by side. They don't sound alike. IMO, they're as different as Blues and Greenbacks (though the Fane's don't sound like Greenbacks). NOTHING has the same kind of sparkly top end that you get from Blues.

8. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

I have both and agree with Leonc they don't sound alike. The Fanes to my ear are much flatter almost high fi without any harshness like a EVM12L. I use a Fane in a MKIIC+ and it sounds terrific does a great high gain lead voice really sings and has great crunch and bottom, is way stiffer then a Blue. I love Blues and nothing I have tried sounds like them not Red Fang, not Blue Dog. I have a pair in my AC30 and pair in my Bluesbreaker they work great in those apps where I am not looking for deep stiff bass response.

9. Killa-B

Killa-B Member

Yes, that's how I would describe the Fane sound, EVM like, but more organic sounding. To me it's an unbeatable speaker in all around performance.

10. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I've had both, but not at the same time. I did however, compare the Fane AXA12 with a Red Fang and a 50W Alnico Weber Blue Dog. No comparison for my tastes. I sold the Red Fang and Blue Dog and bought a second Fane. It had much better fidelity over all frequencies. It doesn't compress as much as the others, and it does it in a way that sounds very sweet and musical to me.

From what I remember, I would agree that the Fane doesn't have that same sparkly upper mid mojo as the Blue, but it's still a wonderful speaker in its own right. I especially like it combined with my new Scholz ceramic 100W 12", as well as my Two Rock 12-65 (100W) - just killer.

If you like Blues, you'll probably like the Fane, but don't expect it to be exactly like the Blue with more power. It has its own unique magic.

11. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Dig the Fanes...they work great in higher wattage amps, especially those of the Fender persuasion, IME.

The Celstion Blue's are killin' and sparkly...but every amp I own would blow them in a second.
    S>
    j

12. Stevo57

Stevo57 Supporting Member

Well I ended up on the winning end of the auction for the AXA12. Good price too.
    The timing of this thread was spot on. Thanks for all the good info all.

13. PUCKBOY99

PUCKBOY99 Silver Supporting Member

Pretty much why I got rid of them Steve....I hope they work out for ya'!

14. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

Cool! Fill us in when you get it. I'm currently on the hunt. If anyone knows where I can pick a pair of these in 16 ohms preferrably please shoot me an email. And thanks for everyone who replied with their take on these speakers. In the past I have made great use a Weber Silver Bell Alnico 30 and really liked them a lot. But they are still only 30 watts. They do one of the best jobs I've heard to date at reproducing that wonderful Blue mojo. I am really looking forward to getting same Fanes.

15. jrigg

jrigg Gold Supporting Member

I have been interested in the Fanes for a while particularly for my 18 watt Marshall clone 1 X 12 but haven't tried them out yet. I was told that they had less bottom end than a G12H30. Is it true?

16. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

Don't forget to give the Fane a bit of time to 'open up', especially if it's a relatively new speaker.

17. Paul86

Paul86 Member

Let's try this again, this time throwing in the Scumnicos for fun!

18. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

I'd look into Golds if you want more power handling...

19. TheGigPig

TheGigPig Member

20. AlexF

AlexF Member

big big difference between the blues and the fanes. the fanes are the perfect match for a howling growling marshall, top end pulled right in, with the mids and bottom end barking, the blues are very bright aggressive speakers, with lots of top to offset the lack of top in a non top boost AC30. almost chalk and cheese not quite. for what its worth, the fanes are my absolute favourite distortion speaker.
    Al