Celestion Alnico Blue: what alternatives get the closest

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Derelict, May 16, 2006.

1. Derelict

Derelict Member

Yes, the alnico blue is a gift from the heavens. This is an amazing speaker, however at $250 and only 15 watt handling, they are just a bit out of my range. can anyone add to my small knowledge with experience?

red fang - from all the reviews, this speaker is supposed to be very, very close, but i've no personal experience. can anyone with such experience chime in?

weber blue dog (alnico, ceramic) - these seem like a great alternative, but i don't know much about them.

just how close to these speakers get?

thank you

2. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

I'm waiting for the Gold's to come out.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

the fang's are a great bargain, and at higher gain / louder volumes have a cool raspy breakup that the blues dont have. give 'em a try, and even if you dont like 'em, i doubt you'd have a hard time finding a buyer for them.

4. Hipster Dofus

Hipster Dofus Member

I have played most of the Blue Clones, as well as originals, and RI's. I love the Weber 30w Blue Dog.

5. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

That is why I don't think they sound like Blues. The Webers are better but still not Blue. Blues sound smooth and oh so sweet, like a flute or bells not harsh.

The Golds cost the same or more but if they sound as good as Blues they will be worth it for the peace of mind. Fanes Blues Alnicos are nice too but stiffer they are after all a 100 watt speaker.

:AOK

6. illinimax

illinimax Gold Supporting Member

The ceramic Weber Blue Dog is a great alternative. I prefer it to the Celestion. However, if you've got to have alnico the Webers come close but there's nothing quite like the Celestion Blue which surface for around $200 used pretty often if you're looking to save some $$$.

7. Stevo57

Stevo57 Supporting Member

Only Blues sound like Blues to me. The Red Fang I tried had a little of the kazoo thing going on at medium volume. The Weber I've tried all sounded darker. Oddly, the best sounding Blue I ever owned out of approx. 1/2 dozen was a Weber recone of a blown one courtesy of a formerly owned Opal.

8. Reeek

Reeek Member

One of Ted's very best speakers IMHO. Especially the ceramic 30 watt with light dope ;)

9. Moods

Moods Supporting Member

Weber Blue Dogs are great speakers and have a great British tone. Red Fangs sound pretty decent too. Neither sound just like a Celestion blue IMO. The blue is the best replica speaker out there... again IMO. Wait on the gold if you need the power handling. People will spend $50 - $100 on one Mullard preamp tube and then skimp on the speaker... doesn't make much sense to me if you are looking for a Vox tone. There is a $75 difference between a Blue Dog and a Celestion blue in a worst case scenario. Used they get closer in price. Not worth givin' up the blues tone for $50 - $75 IMO... and I really dig the Blue Dog. Sounds better than the blue with a lot of non-Vox amps.

YMMV

<M

10. Derelict

Derelict Member

great guys. this is some great advice. i will definitely have to check out the webers.

11. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

And while we're on the subject, how would the weber silver bell ceramics match up against the weber blue dog ceramics? I really love Weber speakers, have only heard the vintage series so far, have no real sense of how the Brit type speakers compare.

12. nek

nek Member

The Weber speakers are close to the alnico blue, but no cigar. The silver bell misses high (too bright), the blue dog misses low (too dark).

13. Reeek

Reeek Member

I have bought over 40 speakers from Ted Weber over the last 3 or so years. I own and use 6 various Blue Dogs now (amongst other nice Webers too). I've had Silver Bells in 2x12's and in a Blue Dog/Silver Bell combination.

The Silver Bells are way stronger in low end IMHO. In fact, I had to get the Silver Bell out of the cab that it shared with a Blue Dog. Both were ceramics. The Silver Bell just took away all the chime that the Blue Dogs bring to the table.

I picture Silver Bells in a closed back 4x12 in my mind. That would rock I think.

All my c abs are open back 2x10's and 2x12s. All 1x12s are combo amps.

The Blue Dogs have been called bright by some people while the Silver Bell is known for a darker, stonger low end tone. IMHO the Blue Dogs are NOT bright. I find them to be "perfect" whatever that means to you.

At the end of the day, the hands down winner for me was a 1x12 combo with a ceramic 30 watt Blue Dog (light dope) or a 2x12 cab loaded with two ceramic 30 watt Blue Dogs.

I had a 2x12 with a combination of an alnico/ceramic Blue Dog and I pulled the alnico and put it in a 1x12 16 watt el84 combo. Two ceramic 30 watt Blue Dogs with light dope is pure heaven to my ears when loaded in a nice cab.

I still run a Weber 12A125/12F125 in one of my 2x12 cabs and that alnico/ceramic combo rocks the house down with my nice 40 watt dual 6L6GC amps.

I have a 2x10 loaded with two 30 watt alnico Blue Pups that I absolutley love too.