Celestion Alnico Blue

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by vendo, Jun 26, 2006.

1. vendo

vendo Member

Whats the deal with these? Are they really the pinnacle of rock speaker-dom or is it the mystique associated with them?

I'll be ordering an Avatar cab PDQ but can't decide between these and the Heritage Greenbacks. I want low watt speakers in a 212. I read the Greenback thread and they have piqued my interest but the Blues...

Are you paying for the hype? Are they the real deal? How do they differ from the Heritage Greenbacks? Are they worth the extra $$$? I can't try to compare, so thats out.

Class is in session. Edu-ma-cate me. :confused:

...please

2. dave s

dave s Member

I probably haven't played and compared enough speakers to spout characteristics supported by technical reasoning, but my ears certainly don't lie to me either. My VOX AC30CC saw an upgrade from the stock Wharfdales to the Celestion Alnico Blue 15 watters and the difference is huge.

The only way to describe the tone that comes from that amp now is the compressed top end clarity is inconceiveable until you actually hear it. Last Friday night during a gig I was playing a single note rhythm part (chording but only playing single strings at a time and letting them ring) and the notes sounded like they were coming out of the amp on air. It was like each string had its own compressor with a very soft and smooth release. String-to-string definition and note clarity was there, just not in-your-face and way up front and lightning fast as a VOX amp tends to deliver.

The Blues seem like perfect speakers for this new VOX AC30CC but that's the limit of my experience with them.

dave

3. bscepter

bscepter Member

"Are they really the pinnacle of rock speaker-dom?"

In a word, yes.

Essentially, my Blues have spoiled me forever. I didn't believe the hype until I tried them. They take a while to break in, but once they do - look out! But then, I'm playing them with a Valvetech Hayseed 30 - a JMI AC30 clone - which was made for those speakers.

Of course, your mileage may vary.

By the way, I got a great deal on mine from Dave at Avatar. If you're interested, he won't steer you wrong.

4. * velcro-fly *

* velcro-fly * Supporting Member

O.k...I'll just further confuse you :p

I've got a Z Best 2x12 loaded with a Celestion Blue and a Heritage Greenback. Far and away the best tones I've ever heard or had. I'm running an Aiken Intruder 30 watt head through it, but have had an EL84 Mojave Coyote and Dr. Z Maz 18 jr through it with the same results. I've got a Cameron modded Marshall on the way and will say the Holy Grail cab will likely be a Marshall 1960bx cab loaded with Blues and Heritages in an X pattern...

I had Weber Blues - and now agree there is no comparison between the two. Don't get me wrong - the Webers are great, but the Celestion Blues are freaking awesome ;)

Steve E

5. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

AlNiCo speakers let the mojo thru.

6. Roe

Roe Member

blues are fine, but not for really heavy or distorted stuff.

7. mcdyas

mcdyas Member

i've got a weber blue dog 30A and a fane alnico 100 watt in an open back 2x12 cabinet. it gives plenty of clean "chime" and handles overdrive well too with no flabby bottom. jensen c12k's give reasonable chime and handle volume in a fender twin pretty well.

8. bscepter

bscepter Member

As has been hinted - it depends a whole lot on the amp, guitar and what kind of music you're playing. An AC30 with Blues pushes midrange frequencies like crazy, so it'll give you the opposite of that scooped-mid Triple-Rec Nü Metal sound. Ugh.

9. cnardone

cnardone Supporting Member

I've got a 1X12 Blue that sounds down right incredible with my Alessandro Beagle (Voxish). But when I got my Two-Rock, I used it through the Blue (I was careful about volume) the first couple of weeks until I received another cabinet. The new cab has a Harry Joyce Speaker in it. I think the Two Rock sounds much much better with the Harry Joyce.

I guess I am just agreeing with the point that it depends on your application.
    What amps are you going to be running through the cab?

10. vendo

vendo Member

I'll be running it with a Zvex Nano and possibly a VOX AC30CC head. I want something that'll do blues to classic rock (think Bluesbreakers to Zeppelin). I understand the chimey thing (should sound great with my Tele) but will it give you that classic crunch?

I have another rig with V30s I can add a metal pedal to when I want bassey and heavy.

Thanks for the input boys, I'm feeling smarter than I did yesterday ;)

11. soulohio

soulohio Member

i am on the fence on celestion blue crunch...the blue does it but lacks that defining edge that crunch needs...the speaker compresses those mids for a "backwards" cone attack....but man you get some nice swirl...i got a blue in a crate v16 which doesn't do crunch that well anyhow...

12. * velcro-fly *

* velcro-fly * Supporting Member

Thats why when it's paired up with a Heritage Greenback you get the Magic Combination ;)

Steve E

13. bscepter

bscepter Member

My Blues do "crunch" like you wouldn't believe. Now, I've recently switched over to my amp's EF86 instead of its ECC83 front end, which gives me gobs more gain, but I'd say I get crunch aplenty - with tons of definition.

Try this: take a humbucker-equipped guitar and plug into the "normal" channel of an AC30/pair of Blues and turn the amp and guitar all the way up. You'll get crunch, my friend. Oh, yes, you'll get crunch.

14. soulohio

soulohio Member

mr. splatt...aren't you concerned running those 15 watt blues through those monster amps in heavy/high gain territory? i am not familiar with your amps...

15. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

I really have to get one or two of those.

16. soulohio

soulohio Member

i see..i know that megadeth used vht some time ago but i have yet to run into a vht or a bogner in any of my local music stores...those blues are beautiful..

17. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

david, what in the heck is wrong with U?
    don't U know that attenuators suck tone.

note: this facetiously sarcastic bit of irony isn't directed at splatt, but at the legions who don't understand that an attenuator can be a huge component in ones tone.

18. AlexF

AlexF Member

Attenuators dont suck tone, but they do stop speakers from creating their part of it. Its not a myth. When a speaker is working hard, it creates its own essential part to the sound path. That's why speaker choice is important and its also why attenuators 'suck'.

As for Blues, I have sat in a room full of 2x12 cabs loaded with original Blues (most of them empty AC30 cabs), every single cab (and hence Blues pair) sounded substantially different. I've also used reissue Blues, and they are different again. They are good but really arent worth the current stupid cost premium. My humble opinion only...
    Al

19. big hair

big hair Member

I have a 4x12 with two G12m-25w and two celestion alnico blues on the top. It is by far my favourite cab, even better than my prerola h30 cab. I love the clarity it has and the top end seems sweeter.

FYI I play everything from cleans to Iron Maiden through it :) Handles a Diezel Herbert nicely providing I don't push it too far.

20. TuneBox

TuneBox Member

I'm in the same boat as the thread originator ...

I was about to buy a pair of blues when someone told me that the Cel Golds were higher rated (to 50A). I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the Golds and can compare them to the Blues?

I have a VOX Heritage 30A Head ... Should I buy the Blues or the Golds?