Celestion Alnico Cream in a super reverb?

guitarman92

Silver Supporting Member
anyone got any experience with this? I know some people like the 12 inch in a super rather than 10s.

Also interested in other 12 inch speakers painted with this amp and baffle specs

kinmike

Gold Supporting Member
The Super is 2 ohms so you could use two 8 ohm 12's to get 4 ohms and you would be close enough. If you just use one 8 ohm speaker in a Super you're going to lose out on a lot of what makes the Super so super. Personally, I like the four tens.

MHG

A lot of guys are using the Cream with Blackface style amps. I'm sure it'll sound very nice with a Super. I'm using mine with a Carr Impala, which is a Blackface Bassman style amp, and it sounds very nice.

Bucksears

What's the overall impression with the Cream?
Looser lows? Rolled-off highs? Lower headroom?

71strat

Smooth Highs, Upper Mids, Great Bottom End. 100db x 90 watt High Headroom. IMHO Better Smoother Highs than the Blue, and Better Bottom than the Gold.

Can do everything from great cleans to great OD. I use 2 with a 69 Dual Showman Rvb/Blackfaced/ODS mod. They really are nice and work well with most any Fender amp. Also work great with lower watt amps.

woof*

anyone got any experience with this? I know some people like the 12 inch in a super rather than 10s.

Also interested in other 12 inch speakers painted with this amp and baffle specs
The magic of a Super Reverb is the 4x10's.
If you want less presence and glassiness get Pro Reverb with 2x12's.

Gallery

Silver Supporting Member
Smooth Highs, Upper Mids, Great Bottom End. 100db x 90 watt High Headroom. IMHO Better Smoother Highs than the Blue, and Better Bottom than the Gold.

Can do everything from great cleans to great OD. I use 2 with a 69 Dual Showman Rvb/Blackfaced/ODS mod. They really are nice and work well with most any Fender amp. Also work great with lower watt amps.

I'd agree with the above. I have one in a 1x12 I use with my JTM45. I compared against the Gold, but not a Blue.

MHG

Great description 71strat! I would only add that it also has a firmer midrange than the Gold or Blue. Also, though the highs are smooth, there's still a beautiful Alnico chime and complexity to it. Not overly warm or smooth.

I would say that the midrange is what sets it apart from the other Alnico's I've tried, and is where the smoothness is coming from. I would describe the mids as smooth, warm, and firm. This tighter midrange is probably why it handles higher gain tones so well. Probably the most versatile Alnico I've tried.

kingdavidy2k

Yep I agree that the Cream is fantastic in Blackface topology. I've been trying out a few speakers in my Princeton Clone: Weber 12F150, eminence GB128 & TF1250, Celestion V Type, Greenback, G1235XC, G12H30, Bad Cat Celestion Speaker.
The Cream is the best to my ears out of all of them! I had a wow moment when I played it the first time.
The Cream also wowed me when I tried it in my Top Hat Club royale and Matchless 30/15 - better than the stock speakers. Problem is I only have 1 to share with 3 amps.

Timbre Wolf

>thermionic<
Platinum Supporting Member
If you don't mind, I'd be curious to hear you expand on what qualities you prefer in great or better bottom end? Tighter? More defined? Deeper bass extension? Compressed? Punchy? I just want a more articulated sense of what you're saying. Thanks!

71strat

Retains the lower/lower mid harmonics better.Tighter. More defined, cleaner. Better dynamics.

Peppy

Yep I agree that the Cream is fantastic in Blackface topology. I've been trying out a few speakers in my Princeton Clone: Weber 12F150, eminence GB128 & TF1250, Celestion V Type, Greenback, G1235XC, G12H30, Bad Cat Celestion Speaker.
The Cream is the best to my ears out of all of them!

I have the Cream in my PRRI and it was probably 50% of the several reasons that I bought the amp.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom