Celestion alnico gold and eminence ragin cajun pairing?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by lespaulnmarshall, Apr 7, 2015.

1. lespaulnmarshall

lespaulnmarshall Member

Hi everyone
    I was curious if anyone has tried pairing celestion alnico golds with emi ragin cajuns?
    I have a vintage 1965 super reverb and I was curious if the golds and ragin cajuns are a good combo? I currently have golds paired with WGS G10C's but was curious about the emis along with the golds. I am also considering replacing the wgs speakers with emi legends I heared those are good too
    Thanks!

2. lespaulnmarshall

lespaulnmarshall Member

3. guitback

guitback Member

I think it would work fine, but the only way to really know...is for someone to try it. Cajuns are loud, so that would be good because Gold Celestions are loud too. To me a Ragin' Cajun is a Jensen that ate its Wheaties every day for years. In other words, they are "American" sounding, but definitely not light anywhere in freq. response.

4. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

I look at the sensitivity of the speakers, the one watt, one meter output in db.

The Ragin Cajun is rated at 100.5 and the Celestion Gold is rated at 100. That's fairly close but the Ragin Cajun will be a bit louder. The Celestion should have a bit more bass. I would give it a whirl in and open back or slotted back cabinet.

In closed back cabs I haven't had such great luck mixing speakers myself, others find great results.

5. lespaulnmarshall

lespaulnmarshall Member

Thanks! I think the 10' gold is actually 98 db though.
    But i heared amp builders mention it isn't only about sensitivity, there's more factors that determine if the speakers are well matched volume wise or not. Also the way of measuring sensitivitycould be different between different brands

6. lespaulnmarshall

lespaulnmarshall Member

That description of the RC's sure does sound like I would like them! :)

7. Z Tone

Z Tone Member

The eminence ramrod is a good speaker.

8. Geeze

Geeze Silver Supporting Member

I wouldn't get tremendously fussed about the sensitivity ratings. I have a 12 Gold running with a M75 Scumback [100 vs. 97db] and the cab sounds glorious.

Try it - won't know until you jump off the purchase cliff unless you are lucky to have speaker-aholic friends.

Russ

9. lespaulnmarshall

lespaulnmarshall Member

Thanks everyone! Iassume the RC are definitely a moe clean orientated speaker though?

10. Joe L

Joe L Supporting Member

It depends on what amp and tone you are looking for. If you have a Fender amp, the Celestion Gold preserves it's Fendery chime and sparkle. The Rajin Cajun kills the Fendery chime. This is what I found in my Fender PRRI and stayed with and love the Gold's full Fendery warm tone. If you are not stuck on keeping the chime, the RC is a good clean and loud speaker.

11. lespaulnmarshall

lespaulnmarshall Member

I like how matt schofiel sounds with them he uses them with his two rock. I use a BFSR though. I think I do remember matt not recommending RC's in a super though for some reason I cant remember.
    Also I heared people say RC's take a super into Twin Reverb territory, which would not be what I want

12. Brien

Brien Member

What's wrong with your current WGS's? What's the tone goal?

13. bratch

bratch Member

That's what I wonder. I'm not huge on the RCs. To my ears, they don't sound very jenseny. They are smooth cone, high-powered speakers. I find they lack a bit of detail, although the breakup on them is never harsh.

14. lespaulnmarshall

lespaulnmarshall Member

Nothing is wrong with them really. They are pretty good, I was just thinking it might be nice to experiment a bit and see if I might be able to tailor the super even more to my liking. That is all really. I am just curious about the possibilities. I've also been thinking about installing a set of veteran 10's or maybe the emi legend alnico's or something. Just experimenting really.
    Even though I like the super the way it is now maybe I can find a speaker that's a little thicker and maybe gives up the goods just a little earlier. The high end is pretty good with my super right now. i like the treble around 6-7 and it's just a good amount of brightness. I like bright, clear sounds (no Ice Pick though!) but I like some thick bottom end too on an amp like this.

15. Brien

Brien Member

16. Joe L

Joe L Supporting Member

It definitely doesn't sound like my Twin.

17. lespaulnmarshall

lespaulnmarshall Member

18. lespaulnmarshall

lespaulnmarshall Member

Does anyone know how two weber 10A150's would pair with two celestion gold 10's?