Celestion Blue and Fender Blackface tone?

In my other thread about Speakers for the Carr Mercury I have learned that the Celestion Blue is a very popular upgrade with Carr Mercury owners. I can see the possibilities of this 15w speaker in an 8W amp.

I love the blackface tone on the clean channel but would like a bit more clarity and definition. Would the Blue kill the Fender tone or enhance it?

What is your experience with a celestion Blue in a Blackface fender?

KennyM

Supporting Member
I use my D13 2x12 cab with two Blues in it with a BF Bandmaster and I think it sounds great. Records real well too.

zombiwoof

Supporting Member
A lot of guys like Celestion Blues in Fender amps, you get a nice chimey clean and good crunch when cranked, mostly they will enhance the Fender sound.

Al

slider313

Silver Supporting Member
I don't care for the blue with my NR Deluxe. I have a JBL K120 in my DR and a reconed C12N in my NRD. The C12N does have a Weber Blue Dog cone and 50 watt voice coil. If you want clarity and definition get a ceramic 12F150B with a 50 watt voice coil, light dope and have Weber break it in.

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Supporting Member
A lot of guys like Celestion Blues in Fender amps, you get a nice chimey clean and good crunch when cranked, mostly they will enhance the Fender sound.

Al
This is my experience with a brownface princeton, and a blackface vibro champ sounded great this way too - very chimey cleans, and organic grind. not as sterile as a ceramic jensen for instance.

thelionsden

I don't care for the blue with my NR Deluxe. I have a JBL K120 in my DR and a reconed C12N in my NRD. The C12N does have a Weber Blue Dog cone and 50 watt voice coil. If you want clarity and definition get a ceramic 12F150B with a 50 watt voice coil, light dope and have Weber break it in.
what do you prefer in a non reverb deluxe? i am always open to the possibility of something better...

thanks

dennis

hathisisfunnyha

Supporting Member
There was a BF Princeton Reverb that was being traded back and forth on the emporium. I think a well broken in Celestion Greenback or Blue will be a lot smoother and help push the breakup on the lower watt Blackface amps. I would really like to hear a twin with two blues.

wingwalker

Fuzzy Guitars
I don't care for alnico Celestions in BF/SF Fenders...too much top end for my taste plus at only 15 watts they'd only be good in a Champ or Princeton.

Wayne

I use a Celestion Alnico Blue in tandem with the internal speakers of my Deluxe Reverb and Princeton Reverb. I think it compliments these sounds very well. I have a couple of soundclips of my Deluxe Reverb playing through just the Celestion Alnico Blue. You can hear what is sounds like at:

http://www.youtube.com/user/TubeBlasterOne

See videos 2, 3 and 4.

If you want to hear it in conjunction with the internal Reverend Alltone 1250 in my DR, you can go here:

http://deluxereverb.waynereno.com/Playing_The_Amp.htm

slider313

Silver Supporting Member
what do you prefer in a non reverb deluxe? i am always open to the possibility of something better...

thanks

dennis
Well, my reconed Jensen has the blue dog cone and a 50 watt coil. The 12F150B is basically the same speaker with a larger magnet. I've tried more than a few speakers with my NRD and this one sounds best. I've even crossed it over to the JBL K120 in my DR and feel the Jensen sounds better. The NRD has one less filter cap in the power supply and a more "spongy" feel than a DR so speaker choices differ between the two.

fusion58

Anyone do a Blue with a DRRI? How goes it?
Just ordered a limited edition "electric blue" version of the DRRI (which comes stock with a Celestion Blue.)

Buy Fender Vintage Reissue '65 Deluxe Reverb Electric Blue 22W 1x12 Tube Guitar Combo Amp | Solid State Combo Amps | Musician's Friend

(Got the 20% discount!) :aok

I'm planning to do whatever mods are necessary to make the amp "be all it can be."

(Will start with NOS tubes, better quality caps, resistors, transformers, etc.)

I have a repair guy who has worked wonders with some other newer Fenders for me.

I'm expecting a killer sounding amp by the time I'm done. :aok

JamminJoe

In my experience, the celestion blue in a SFDR did not work out - sounded ok but nothing magical. I think the CB needs mids like in a vox, and BF and SF Fenders have a scooped eq to my ears. Ceramics (WGS vet30, V30, weber) sound much better to me in Fenders than alnicos. YMMV.

Trending Topics