Celestion Blue/Gold Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by hathisisfunnyha, Feb 17, 2008.

1. hathisisfunnyha

hathisisfunnyha Supporting Member

I just picked up a Divided by 13 JRT 9/15 and I was debating between upgrading the speaker to a Celestion Blue or Gold from the G12H in the 1x12 cab.

Any thoughts? I mean I love the G12H how it sounds but I feel like I can get a little more out the amp by going with a blue or gold. Same time I feel like Fred put it in there for a reason

2. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    Are you saying you are going to get more out of the amp, as in tone? Or are you saying get more out of the amp in terms of volume? The G12H 70th Anniversary model and the G12H Heritage 30 watt both have 100db efficiencies, which is the same as the G12 Alnico Blue and Gold.

TheGrooveking

3. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

i found the gold was alot more imressive, more clarity, just real smooth when compared with the g12 heritage. ive heard rave reviews when it comes to the gold in a 1 x 12.

4. jeffh

jeffh Silver Supporting Member

I have a JRT and have tried it through my Vox Heritage 1x12 with a blue. Personally, I like the G12H much better, and the G12H is usually my least favorite Celestion speaker. It just seems to work with the JRT.

Clean, the Blue and the JRT are absolutely magic. With the volumes past noon, or with an overdrive, the Blue and the JRT sound really harsh to me. YMMV etc... but I would really suggest trying one with the JRT before buying it if you can.

5. hathisisfunnyha

hathisisfunnyha Supporting Member

I was hoping to get more clarity out of the cleans and hope that the overdriven parts would also get that added boost.

jeffh were you using an open back vox 1x12 or a closed back?

6. jeffh

jeffh Silver Supporting Member

Open back. It's the 1x12 cabinet from the Vox Handwired series.

The cleans sound great with the Blue, lots of chime.

7. J-P Twang

J-P Twang Member

I just A/B a bunch of speakers in my Silver Face Deluxe Reverb.
    Amongst them a G12H 70th Anniversary and a Celestion Gold.

I was suprised that they had a lot in common on tape. Kind of similar balance overall. The Gold had a smoother high end. Just as bright, but more musical.

However... I liked the Celestion Gold more when standing next to the amp playing. It felt slightly bigger, better and more inspiring. More musical.
    But the G12H 70th Anniversary is also very good.

8. Passenger84

Passenger84 Supporting Member

For me, I'm guessing the G12H is in there because it will react well to both the EL84 side and the 6V6 side of the 9/15 amp. If you're going to change the speaker, I'd go for the Blue because that amp's low wattage won't push the Gold hard enough in my opinion. But in my limited experience, the Blue pairs well with EL84 sounds, but not as well with the 6V6 or 6L6 sounds.

Hope that helps a bit.

9. ROKY

ROKY Member

I'd go with a Blue in that amp; best all-round tonal matchup .

10. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
    Devil in a Blue Dress

Sock it to me now