Celestion Blue in a 2x12...series or parallel?

Passenger84

Silver Supporting Member
Hey everyone, quick question,

I have a 65 Amps London cab with an 8 ohm Celestion Blue and an 8 ohm G12H. They're wired in series for a total of 16 ohms.

However, I have another EL84 head that I'm dying to try with the 65 cab, but it only has an 8 ohm and a 4 ohm tap.

Here's my question: if I rewire the cab in parallel for a total 4 ohm load, will there seriously be a tonal difference? I've heard yes and no on this back and forth for years, and I'm wondering if anyone can give a definitive answer. Does parallel wiring sound different than series wiring? Does 4 ohms sound different than 16 ohms?

In my limited knowledge, I would think the difference would be quite subtle. But, much thanks to anyone in advance who can help me out a bit!! :)

Jason_86_951

Silver Supporting Member
I've noticed a little more punch along with a bit more volume from 4 ohms.
16 always sounds a little more silky/softer than 4 to me.

zoooombiex

yes - series/parallel will have an affect on the tone. whether it's good or bad is up to you. i preferred series with the london and with an UG30. it has a little more mid punch, whereas parallel was a little softer and more balanced. the 65 amps guys seem to prefer series, since the combo I had was wired series (and sounded great)

but you can run the 8 ohm amp tap into a 16 ohm cab. don't use the 4 ohm tap - may cause trouble. but 8 will work fine. it will sound a little different than matching 16 to 16, but you can at least try it out.

Passenger84

Silver Supporting Member
You know, that's what I've read, that you can run 8 ohms into a 16 ohm cab without a problem. But last time I tried that, I blew a rectifier tube. Was the tube just ready to go, and it was coincidence? Or has anyone else had the same experience?

Thanks for the help by the way!!

zoooombiex

You know, that's what I've read, that you can run 8 ohms into a 16 ohm cab without a problem. But last time I tried that, I blew a rectifier tube. Was the tube just ready to go, and it was coincidence? Or has anyone else had the same experience?

Thanks for the help by the way!!
I've definitely used the 8/16 mismatch on my amps without a problem. But I've never tried it with a tube-rectified amp, and I don't know enough to say whether that would make any difference. John Phillips is a good guy to ask about these sorts of things :AOK

Trending Topics