Celestion Blue-like speaker which is not as deep

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by johanwastaken, Feb 15, 2008.

1. johanwastaken

johanwastaken Member

I want a speaker which is similar to Celestion Blue/Weber Blue Dog/Eminence Red Fang (fairly similar speakers from what I've heard), but not as deep. All of those are at least 150mm in depth. The Blue Dog is 140mm without the magnet cover (according to Ted himself). However, my combo can only handle speakers up to about 135mm. What options do I have? I would like something not too expensive. Less than $150 would be great, but I might consider something more expensive if it's really good.

2. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

You'll be lucky to find what you want. The Alnico magnet used in speakers of this size, and tone is the 40 oz. version. It comes in one size (that I know of) that Celestion, Weber, myself and others get. Due to the high cost of producing a magnet cast, that's what's getting used.

Options MIGHT be other brands that are more shallow and less deep. The bad news is that the tone will change if you change the magnet size, so that's defeating the purpose.

You could experiment with a thinner baffleboard (1/2" 9 ply baltic birch vs 5/8 or 3/4 thickness types) or moving the baffle board forward in your cab to create the space you need.

Good luck.

3. bosstone

bosstone Member

Can you front mount the speaker?

4. 4styx

4styx Member

PM Netjunkey247.WGS has a blue clone with a smaller magnet,not sure of the depth though.

5. trisonic

trisonic Member

Oh, That kind of "deep" - I came here expecting a request for a "thin" sounding speaker.......

Cannot the bell housing be removed? Doesn't that help a little?

Best, Pete.

6. skylabfilmpop

skylabfilmpop Silver Supporting Member

The Weber blue dog ceramic, and silver dog ceramic are great sounding and blue ish, . Even if you find a smaller magneted alnico the tone is going to dwindle. IN addition to the webars a good ol 25 watt greenback is a great way to go. The reissues seem to be more top endy and work nicely in open back designs unlike the originals. I was just playing my /13 CJ11 through a 1x12 g12m25 cab the other day. Awesome!

7. tonehead

tonehead Member

What combo do you have? Also, what is the wattage, and what guitars are using? And what type of music do you play? There are so many variables, I think it is mostly about matching. I have heard a speaker sound great in one amp and lousy in another; I have also heard a particular guitar, with certain pickups, sound great in a certain amp with a certain speaker. Been doing this a long time, and have found that there simply are no "rules", only good tone.

8. johanwastaken

johanwastaken Member

Only problem is that it's an existing combo which I didn't build myself. So I wouldn't really want to change it too much since woodwork isn't really my thing. Thanks anyway though.

Not sure, I'll try to take some pics later.

I looked at that one as well. It's even deeper though, 165mm.

It can on the Weber Blue Dog. It's 140mm without the cover, so it MIGHT work. I'm going to measure a lot first though. The tubes are in the way if the speaker is too deep and I can't really move them either.

That might be a good option. What about the Eminence Private Jack? It's supposedly a Greenback-clone, but 50w. Since my amp is 30w, a 25w speaker probably wouldn't give me the headroom I need.
    The ceramic Blue Dog looks good too. Is it very different from the alnico-version? The depth is great at least, 127mm will fit without problems.

I have a Laney VC30. It's a 30 watt, all-tube class ab1-amp (though advertised as class a) with open back. I play some sort of British pop/rock and the AC30 is my dream amp. The AC30 is basically what the VC30 wants to be, and since the Celestion Blue is a large part of the AC30's sound, I figured it would be a good thing to do (since the stock speaker is a really bad choice for a vintage-sounding amp).
    I'm looking for that sparkly, shimmery clean sound the AC30 has, and also the meaty overdrive.

I'm using a Fender Lite Ash Telecaster. Ash body, Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro-pickups, maple neck.

9. johanwastaken

johanwastaken Member

Bump bump.
    I read some reviews about the Ceramic Blue Dog. It seems like a good choice, doesn't it? The difference is supposed to be bigger at higher volumes. I don't crank that often, so it might be alright. The basic characteristics are similar, aren't they?

On the other hand, the Eminence options look quite nice too. Private Jack (Greenback clones) seem great, especially for the price. I've also heard that A G12H would be almost orgasmic in a VC30 (http://reviews.harmony-central.com/...Celestion/G12H+70th+anniversary+re-issue/10/1, second one from the top) and The Wizard is supposed to be a G12H-clone.

10. voodoovox

voodoovox Member

The Weber Ceramic Bull Dog is a very good speaker. Right now I am using the Weber With a Celestion Blue in my Hayseed 30.

11. slegros

slegros Member

I had a similar problem and went with a Jensen Mod 70. Its only 120mm deep, and sounds a bit like a greenback. Really, surprisingly nice and very well priced. Excellent speaker and very underrated IMO.

12. tonehead

tonehead Member

Weber's 12" Silver Bell Ceramic comes in a 15, 30, 50, or even a 75 or 100 watt version; supposedly reproduces the old Marshall stack tone.

13. tonehead

tonehead Member

Also, the Fane 12" AXA (alnico) has a 34 oz magnet and is rated at 100 watts RMS. Expensive and hard to find though, at least for now.

14. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
  15. Dale

Dale Member

Will a Jensen Blackbird work?

[​IMG]