1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Celestion Blue or something else in a 5E3?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by michael patrick, Sep 15, 2006.

1. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

I'm getting *this* close to pulling the trigger on a Clark Beaufort (although the Victoria 20112 I tried at Dave's was real sweet too....). I'm just not sure if the Celestion Blue is what I'm looking for. My understanding is that the Blue is a brighter speaker.

I'm going to be playing a wide range of guitars through it, and maybe hitting it with a distortion pedal or three. I'm a big fan of Neil Young and Billy Gibbons' tweedy tones, and that's the sorta ballpark thing I'm heading for.

What say you? How does the Blue compare to other 12" speaker choices?

Bonus question: I see the Wateree runs 6L6s -- would that get me closer to Neil's tone?

2. redtoploader

redtoploader Member

I keep telling people to check out the "O" cone speakers from Weber. I love those things, they really work well with tweeds. Seems like everyone is scared of the straight cone. They have that beautiful tweed honk and crunch.

3. hasserl

hasserl Member

I ran a Weber Blue Dog alnico in my 5E3, that was very nice. The guy that bought the amp from me swapped it out for a vintage Jensen P12N. It also sounds good, lost a little shimmer, maybe a bit crunchier, but is a good match.

I don't know that that either one would help you get close to NY tone though. IMO that his tone is NOT good tweed Deluxe tone. It is over the top blown out & distorted. Not distorted in a good way, very blatty and mushy. The amp is capable of much better than that. I don't know what you have to do to a Deluxe to make them sound that bad.

4. Jeff Flowerday

Jeff Flowerday Member

I'm running a Blue right now. But I've been thinking about shoe horning a G12H30 Heritage into it. I've got the Heritage in 2 other amps and I love it.

5. michael patrick

I've got a smooth cone P15N from '58 or '59 that I run one of my current 5E3 clones through. It killed the reissue Jensen that came with the amp, much smoother breakup. Yeah, I know, probably not a fair comparison between a new speaker and a 50+ year old speaker. But still...

6. Moods

Moods Supporting Member

A Celestion blue sounds fantastic in a 5E3 Deluxe and works well for an all-around sound. I ran my old 58 with an original blue for many years. Still stands as one the best tones I had. However, it does change the character of the amp slightly... more aggressive with an almost Marshall-like lead tone. It's definitely much louder and tighter than an original Jensen or Weber equivalent. I still think an old original Jensen P12R nails the Neil tone. Something trashy happening there that the blue doesn't replicate IMO. A P12R is not really playable with a band unless is miced up.

I like the idea of the Weber "O" speaker that was suggested above. Maybe the best of both worlds. I also tried a Jensen P12N with great results.

Good luck!

<M

secretsoundz likes this.
  7. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Yep. Exactly. You bet.

I've never played through a 5E3 but Young's tone, IMO, is pure crap.

If you're old enough you may remember transistor AM radios. Remember what they sounded like cranked? Well, there you have it. Maybe that's where Mr Young found his inspiration.

8. S. Hawk Ltd.

S. Hawk Ltd. Member

Hi Michael,

Ted does make excellent speakers. I bet Ted's 12A125-S. That particular one gives up a wide range. I liked the fiirst one so much I ordered two more. Sounds very good with an amp in the 6V6 type. I asked Ted to make them with the 6 slot frame in white.

Good luck! Gerry

9. michael patrick

I contacted Clark's dealer dude (The Perfect Note) and it looks like I could order it with the "O" cone Weber. Which means I could probably get it with the "S" cone speaker as well.

There are just too damn many choices in speakers... How's a boy to decide??:confused:

10. kiteflyer

kiteflyer Member

I have a celestion blue in my 5e3 at the moment. It sounds great, but it makes the amp pretty darn loud. If you want raunchy 5e3 break up at lower volumes, the blue might be a little loud. I love the amp at 6-7 range on the volume, but it's a hair too loud at rehearsal and small clubs. I'm sure bands with heavy hitting drummers wouldn't have a problem though.

11. jetlag

jetlag Member

I've got a '58 deluxe that I gig with in tandem with a larger amp. So from day one, I didn't bother with the P12R. I put a vox blue in - after about 20 gigs it broke in nicely and sounds much better than before - some of the treble chilled out. The blue gives you great volume, great lows, extended highs. The amp is really quite a bit louder - good for gigging, maybe not so good for around the house playing. When turned down, the blue is scooped and kinda shimery, when pushed the highs roll off and mids come way up. The blue's voice is a little more rocked out than classic american tweed sounds - but it's still useable and really good. I'm a traditional blues player and it doesn't bother me that much. Right now I'm using a reconed vintage P12N - it's about 80% as loud as the blue or maybe a little more, not as bright. It's also breaking in now, but it retains more of that amercian tweed sound. I think my favorite was a vintage P12P before I blew it - it's cone was pretty thin and about to go. Depends on what you're after - if you want to maximize volume and get more snap then the blue is a good choice. If you want more of a tradional, warmer sound, then a vintage jensen - p12N, P or Q, or a good, well broken in weber clone is a good choice. Sounds like the guys that use the smooth cone weber know what they are talking about. Sometimes the stock ribbed webers don't quite do it in tweeds.

jimvenus1 likes this.
  12. Pont68

Pont68 Member

Michael I put a Celestion Blue in a Victoria 20112 and could not be happier. I've had no desire to try anything else. It is considerably louder than the Jensen that it came with. I use the amp for rehearsals, recording, and gigs but similar to what jetlag said it is a little loud for practice around the house unless you roll the guitar volume down.

13. Jeff Flowerday

Jeff Flowerday Member

I wouldn't do "O" cone it's a darker speaker. Breaks up earlier but still darker. 5E3 isn't a bright amp buy nature.

14. bluetweed

bluetweed Member

The smooth cone with the Q circuit has all the highs you need. With the q circuit you have to use the warm channel and keep the treble on 3-4

The smooth cone with the R circuit would be too dark/ they are really 2 different animals!

15. opdev

opdev Member

I have a Blue for my 5E3.

Right now, I have a real 1956 P12Q in the amp and I run out to a pTweed Pro Size ext. cab with the blue.

The Blue is very loud so I use a MASS on it.

However, it's a very smooth speaker, especially if you use OD. It's chimey clean, but not overly bright.

It sounds great put the vintage Jenson sound is also cool,

Buy a 5E3 sized ext cab from Weber and get a 2nd speaker. It really sounds cool.

16. CarlH

CarlH Member

I tried ever speaker known to man, including every vintage model of Jensen, in a nice '58 Deluxe, a Victoria deluxe, and a Clark deluxe. At low volumes, nothing beats an original vintage P12R. It smoked the over-hyped Celestion blue IMO. At very loud volumes when the amp starts getting loose regardless of the speaker type, you may want something that holds together better than the P12R because the loosness of the speaker at that volume plus the loosness of the amp can be too much for some guys.

The Celestion Blue is a nice speaker, but it is the most over-hyped speaker in history and it is not head and shoulders better than other speakers (unless you use it in a Vox) like everyone thinks IMO. Guitar Player Mag. started all the hype about the Blue.

17. Zelmo

Zelmo Member

Another vote for the Blue. There's just something about those speakers that click for me - especially in a tweed.

18. dehughes

dehughes Member

I have used a P12Q-30w speaker from Ted Weber, a Celestion Blue, and a Vintage 30 in a 5E3. I liked the P12Q-30w the best, as the Celestion Blue, while being a GREAT speaker (all my amps currently have that speaker in them), it tends to take over a bit more than the P12Q did. The P12Q seemed to fit better with that circuit. Just my opinion. I'd like to check out a P12R too, just for kicks, but if I were to do it again I'd go with a P12Q from Weber.

19. lemmiwinks

lemmiwinks Member

20. cratz2

cratz2 Member

I tried a number of speakers including a Blue but ended up settling on a 50W ceramic Weber Blue Dog in mine. A taste of what the Blue does but less bright and with less speaker breakup. I found that I preferred just a little more headroom than the 5E3 could give.