Celestion Blue or something else in a 5E3?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by michael patrick, Sep 15, 2006.

1. DeaconBlues

DeaconBlues Member

I'm not a fan of using Celestion Blues in tweed circuits. The blue is a mid heavy speaker and the 5E3 is a mid heavy amp.
    The Jensen P12Q, or Weber 12A125 is a much better choice(IMHO) than the Blue.

2. wyatt

wyatt Member

The Blue (and equivalents) is very complementary to the 5E3.

The 5E3 is a dark amp with loose low end. A speaker like the Blue tightens up the low end and keeps it from getting flubby and adds in some MUCH needed top end that usually completely disappears with the amp. You can go for the 30-watt Weber Blue Dog, is less efficient, less tight and bright compared to the Blue RI.

I would avoid the striaght coned Webers if you want any sort of smoothness or clean tones. Honk? Yes. But the speakers overdrive easy and everything gets raunchy real fast (ribbed cones smooth that out and IMHO, make it more musical).

The P12Q/12A125A would be the most authentic, and it really does provide that "cheap" American speaker tone of a real 5E3. But I owned a real '60 Tweed Deluxe with a '60's Vox Alnico in it for a long time and not only did it provide "Neil Young in a box" but the speaker made the amp an overall sweeter, more manageable amp with better versatility.

3. McQuade

McQuade Member

Neil Young's tone is glorious

mulevaline likes this.
  4. GTRJohnny

GTRJohnny Member

The Blue is good overall, but lacks a bit in the bass department for me. The swirly top and compression is cool, but one day I'd like to try the standard WGS Jensen option.

5. wyatt

wyatt Member

That's why I prefer ti with the 5E3, which already has way too much and too loose of bottom-end.

If I put a speaker with more low end in, it just rattles the hell out of those classic-style pine cabs.

6. tylerfreak

tylerfreak Supporting Member

Blue is good for clean/clean-ish sounds...quite amazing, on the otherhand if you want to throw some dirt/crunch in there and want to be able to push the amp a little more try a greenback. It will make the amp more receptive to crunch/drive sounds and still give you nice cleans though different.

Best of luck-

7. wreckmark

wreckmark Supporting Member

I loved the Blue in the Beaufort I had. I wanted to try the EJ1250 but never did. Blue was great.

8. GTRJohnny

GTRJohnny Member

Yeah, I could see that. I suppose I'd have to try an extension cab or something. I did run my Deluxe through a 2x12 once and it really cranked. I was surprised at the guts it had.

9. Dale

Dale Member

I like the C-Rex.

10. Groberts

Groberts Silver Supporting Member

I have an Eminence Legend in my Victoria 20112 (Tweed Deluxe). It is surprisingly impressive. But the low end is truly rather large.

I have a Celestion Blue I can pull from another open back cab to try in my Victoria and will report back. If it sounds great, but has a little less bass/low end, it might be ideal!

11. Tube Geezer

Tube Geezer Member

I've never been a fan of Neil's "tone," but have built several 5E3 clones over the years. A modern Jensen P12Q (from Italy and broken in) will sound quite nice in a 5E3 and you can also find good 12" alnico Rola (ribbed, not smooth cone) speakers on eBay for around $29 each--these work really well and will create a more vintage tone. A 6V6 (NOS or JJ) will sound better and break up more in a tweed deluxe IMO. for NOS 6V6 tubes I would recommend Sylvania or GE as most RCA old stock tubes have been "culled" by now. JJ 6V6 tubes sound great and can handle higher cathode bias current. My current 5E3 (keeper) build is running a Rola 12" ribbed alnico speaker from an old Organ pull (in excellent mechanical and cosmetic condition)--I picked up (2) of these on e-Bay for $47. A Celestion Blue is supposed to sound fantastic, but they are more British voiced and much more efficient. I don't have $275 to spend on one, but people who do swear by them.

Best regards, Dave Adams (e.g. swaptronics fuzz).

12. Meriphew

Meriphew Member

I just picked up a Fender Edge Deluxe combo. Comes stock with a Celestion Blue. I think it sounds fantastic and the speaker isn't even broken in yet. I'd also like to hear what a Celestion Ruby would sound like in it.

13. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

Holy necro thread, Batman...

I've bought and sold the Clark that was the original subject of this thread back in 2006. I got it with the Blue.

I've bought and sold a Li'l Dawg 5E3.

I've bought another 5E3 amp, and that one is still with me. It came in a cab with an old 15" Jensen. I sold that cab along with the speaker and now the amp resides in a regulation-sized 5E3 cab with a Celestion Blue

saltydogg likes this.
  14. Muzzy

Muzzy Supporting Member

I've been thinking about an Avatar A25 for mine. It seems like it would be good in a 5e3.

15. Major Dude

Major Dude Member

I’ve tried both Celestion alnico Blue & Cream, Weber Sig12, G12H30 anniversary, Scumback M75..liked them all for different reasons, the 5e3 is fun to experiment with. I disliked something about each of the above though so the search continued.

Very happy with a Creamback G12M 65w at the moment. It’s a good all-round match, both clean & dirty

progear likes this.
  16. ebenezer

ebenezer Silver Supporting Member

I've got a Blue in my Magic 5e3 and a Gold in my Tungsten Crema Wheat. Both sound great. I liked the Blue a bit better with both amps, but didn't want to blow it as the Tungsten's wattage rating is a bit more than the Blue is rated at.
    The Gold is missing a bit of "rattiness" that the Blue has, but that may be because it's not getting pushed as hard as the Blue.