Celestion Blue question/wiring

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by michael c, Feb 15, 2008.

1. michael c

michael c Member

Just picked up a 2 x 12 Vox extension cab with 2 Celestion Blues. It's wired in Series (one wire to one speaker's + and one wire to the other speaker's - and one wire between the 2 speakers + to -)

The Blues are each stamped in black with 16 ohms. So this means the cab is wired at 32 ohms. Am I correct on this? Very odd that is was wired this way.

1st off, are Blues stamped with 8 or 16 to designate the ohm rating of the speaker.

2nd: I probably should wire this to an 8 ohm cab. Can I just run a jumper wire from one speaker's + to the other speakers + and do the same with the - terminals. This will let me use the original wiring and just move the original jumpered wire and add the one more connection.

Thanks.

2. michael c

michael c Member

Anyone know about this?

3. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

Is this the Vox V212BNX cab?

The cab should have 2 8ohm blues wired in series for a cab impedance of 16ohms. If you have a mulit-meter you can measure the DC resistance of the cab and see what it is. If the cab is really a 32ohm cab, than I would rewire it, but I find that hard to believe, unless Vox screwed up.

4. michael c

michael c Member

It's a very old Vox 2 x 12 cab. Someone probably stuck Celestion Blues in it. The Blues have 16 stamped in ink on the speaker frame. So I am assuming they are 16 ohm Blues?

Is my wiring example above correct?

5. hongsta

hongsta Member

6. skylabfilmpop

skylabfilmpop Member

What impedance do you need? Swapping the wiring to parallell will net you 8 ohms. Likely the previous owner just loaded the cab to sell it and didn't realize the impact of going from 8 to 16.