Celestion Blue-- Tell me about it

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tfunster, Jul 13, 2006.

1. tfunster

tfunster Gold Supporting Member

So I'm fixing up an amp I recently bought. It's a Crestline Gibson Falcon that I'm going to have converted to the Tweed Falcon specs, and it will supposedly be a kick ass amp after I do this.

I've heard that the stock CTS speaker sucks, so it will definately be replaced, and one person mentioned that a Celestion Blue would be a great match for the amp.

I know that the Blue is associated with the old AC30 tone, but I'm wondering what the general charactistics of the speaker are. I know that it's supposed to be "chimy" sounding, but can it become too bright?? How's the bottom end, can it take an amp that puts out a lot of bottom without becoming flabby?? How does it compare to other Celestion speakers, and has anyone tried a Blue in a Tweed amp, and if so, what tonal change was there??
    thanx!!!

2. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

in a low powered amp, it has got to be one of the best sounding speakers made, IMO. articulate top end, strong mids, textured bass. it's got character.

3. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

They don't sound nearly as good new as they do after being thoroughly broken in (I'd say at least 24 hours of good banging on 'em). When brand new, then tend to be on the bright/edgey side.

I would say that they can be on the bright side. They're not, IMO, the best speaker for all amps, under all conditions...but when they seem to go really well with chimey amps like so many cathode-biased EL84 amps. I often like them in conjunction with another speaker (like a G12H30 or G12M).

4. tfunster

How does the Blue compare to the Greenback and G12H as well as Jensen speakers??

5. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

Too bright? No. That's what's cool about them - just the right mix of highs to make them clear and articulate while still rounding off the nasty fizz. At least that's what a Blue did for my EL84 Zeeta.

6. THROBAK

THROBAK Gold Supporting Member

I have a Blue in my Lightning clone and really like it in that amp. But to tell the truth in an 18 Watt the G12H30 sounds very close to the Blue and and has a a tighter low end. The G12H30 is a way better deal IMHO.

7. Derelict

Derelict Member

one of the best, ever. very warm, very complex with top end sparkle, but they change character when overdriven. they smooth out and compress. they are a magical speaker. they sound amazing with OD pedals. go A/B a new voc ac30cc; one with standard vox speakers and the other with blues. be sure to use an OD peal with it, tubscreamer-esque. you will see the difference for yourself.

8. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

I agree... especially for a 1x12. The Scumback H30's have 98% of the magical chime and 3d character of the blue, and way better bottom end for my tastes.

9. dave s

dave s Member

This is a very accurate explanation and matches my understanding as well. When pushed, the Blue 15s smooth out and compress the top end just enough to still allow enough articulation while adding natural compression for lead work.

dave

10. tfunster

Anyone put the blue in a tweed type amp??

11. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

yes.......it sounds wonderful in a Tweed Deluxe type amp.

12. kiteflyer

kiteflyer Member

I put one in a 5e3 and I really like it. I'm getting some of the best tones I've ever had with a tele into a couple of boosts and the 5e3 w/ blue. It was a 'victory' moment!:BEER

13. Sir EL84

Sir EL84 Member

I also had one in my Tweed Deluxe clone. Very nice indeed. The 5E3 is a very bass-heavy circuit, the Blue allowed the "good" bass to come through without all the flub on the bottom end. When pushed it didn't get all fizzy like the most P12R inspired speakers, and with much more interesting highs than the P12Q type speakers that typically (to me) have a plinkyness to them I can't get along with.

If you're looking specfically for speaker for the tweed deluxe, the Weber 12A125-O is a GREAT speaker for an American sound. Straight cone like the Jensen R, but with the Q magnet. This translates roughly to a Jensen "R" sound (smooth, warm, yet not too dark at all) but it can handle the bass and high volumes without flub/fizz.

I have two Blues in my AC30HW. The only speaker IMHO for an AC30.

14. THROBAK

THROBAK Gold Supporting Member

I had my Blue in my Tweed Deluxe for a while and I found it too dark. I bought an original 50's Jensen P12R in Ebay and it was absolutely the best sounding speaker in that particular amp. I also tried a vintage P12Q and the Weber P12R equivalent in my Tweed Deluxe and the P12R won hands down. But a P12R in a Marshall will sound terrible when compared to a Blue or a G12H30. Speaker choice is really very amp specific.