Celestion Blues: anyone else not like them?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mcdyas, Mar 19, 2006.

1. mcdyas

mcdyas Member

I don't know- they just seem like they have a flabby bottom end- never a good trait. I've got a Fane alnico (100 watt) that holds up and gives nice tone. Maybe some of the Webers are good alternatives?

2. hamrhed1

hamrhed1 Member

I like em clean but not driven. They usually sound harsh to me when pushed hard. I had a Komet until recently that sounded good clean and driven with them but it's the only amp that (to me) sounded good both ways.

3. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

yes and no. depends on the amp.

single blue in my 20 watt TopHat sounds amazingly good!!

4. doctord02

doctord02 Member

I dont care for overdriven alnicos either, tho they are great clean. I'd much rather have a ceramic mag speaker for rock/overdrive tones.

5. 908SSP

908SSP Member

Great sweet high end tone. Bass response is very amp dependent great bass with one amp weak bass with another.

Biggest problem is the low wattage rating.

I had a 4x12 of Blues that was amazing and loud. Put just one in a 4x12 with three Pre-rola Greenbacks another amazing sounding cab mix still have that one.

I use a Fane 100 watt sounds good for high gain but doesn't sound like a Blue. I have a couple of TT cabs warmer more bass but not as sweet up top.

6. joek86

joek86 Supporting Member

Riff,
    It's funny that you say that! I just began experimenting with my Blue extension cab this weekend. I have tried it alone several times now and actually like it better than the Heritage G12 and better than the combo of both together. I play Classic Rock and Blues and like it better in clean, dirt, and driven modes. BTW, I have a Tophat Club Royale...........and use Lollar P90's.....

Joe

7. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

I don't like them alone, but mixed in a cab with a speaker that has strengths where the Blue has weaknesses, it's hard to beat.

--chiba

8. Johnnythunders

Johnnythunders Member

Never worked with my amps or style, flubby bottom for sure, love my Harry Joyces and V30s.

9. myles111

myles111 Member

It depends on the amp.

I think they may be the best guitar speaker ever made ... but that is just my personal take on things.

10. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

yeah.....Blue/G12H combo with a Vox-inspired amp is a fantastic combination!

11. 1radicalron

1radicalron Member

I Disagree!
    I Have a Celestion Blue in an original 1966 Fender Deluxe Reverb. - It Kills!
    I have had had Many Great Guitar Players Play through that Amp in my Recording Studio and Have heard Nothing but Rave Reviews! The Loose Bass is Part of the Sound of Old Alnico's. Its all about the Midrange Complexity. The Deluxe Reverb Seems to Fill out very Nicely with the Blue. And I have had the Best Vintage Style Recorded Guitar Tones out of that Combo!
    I am Using an Neumann U-47 tube mic Mic through an old Neve Pre right to 2" Analog Tape.
    [​IMG]

12. pokey

pokey Supporting Member

I have a Blue in my Blackbird, seems to be a good fit for that amp- sounds terrific.

13. BozoTone

BozoTone Member

It's not really the Blue that I'm not blown away by, it is AlNiCo in general. My ears gravitate towards Greenbacks which, or course, are ceramic. I like the way ceramic "crunches" and that is the area I play most in. I guess if I played clean more than crunch (not over-the-top-recto) then I would probably favor AlNico's and a Blue is probably the best.....
    BZT

14. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

I get a huge bottom using a Blue with my Zeeta. There is nothing else that even comes close to sounding as good with this particular amp. The thing I like best is how the Blue rolls off just the right amount of high end, removing any fizziness or harshness while retaining the clarity. That being said, I realize this isn't the right speaker for every application. It's all about how the components work together.

15. BozoTone

BozoTone Member

...MAN....some people have no taste in tone...LOL...JUST KIDDING. splatt, I think you get killer tone, but no idea what you use for an amp..I know your touch has a lot to do with it too.....
    BZT

16. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

I don't like them either. That said, when paired with the right amp they can sound great.

A while back I played through Ron Ott's Seneva, he said the speakers in the 4x12 cab were Celestion Blues, my prejudges set in and I was prepared not to like it. But I was pleasantly surprised, the Blues mated with his amp design perfectly, I'm sure he voiced the amp around those speakers.

Rather than sell it, I finally found a home for the Blue in a 12" converted Princeton and it sounds very nice.

17. QuickDraw

QuickDraw Member

i'm currently testing speakers to go into my homebrew spitfire, so far i've only tested 5 different speakers (blue, greenback, V30, eminence legend, weber 12f150 i think) (speakers i have left to test: g12h30, redfang, weber alnico 20 watter)so far the clear winner is the V30, i was kinda disapointed with how the blue sounded with that amp(and surprised how well the v30 performed), i thought the blue would be perfect for the amp. that said I have a 2x12 cab loaded with blues that sounds awesome with my ac-30.

certain amps will sound good with certain speakers, i try not to limit my choices.

18. trisonic

trisonic Member

I'm with Splatt and Stratovarius on these speakers. Flubby bottom? I've not heard it....I've heard tight, fat bottom. Works clean or distorted - Hank Marvin to David Torn!

AC30's to JTM45's, RG88's to Constellations, all work with Blues. Yep it's low-powered but that's part of it's charm.

I look foward to trying a 2x12 Celestion Gold.

Best, Pete.

PS I also love Greenbacks too but they are a different flavour again, all good.

19. zenpeace69

zenpeace69 Supporting Member

They aren't meant for more than moderate rock gain, that's for sure. In those applications, with the EQ proper, they are amazing. I love them.

20. Junebug

Junebug Member

I've got a Vox AC30tbx and recently picked up a JTM45 which I played through the blues in my vox until I picked up a cab for it. I was so impressed with the sound of the Marshall through the blues that I decided on a Vox 2x12 w/ blues instead of a 1960tv.