1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Celestion Blues in a Bluesbreaker?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by bscepter, Sep 29, 2005.

1. bscepter

bscepter Member

I posted this over at the PlexiPalace, too, as I need to know before this afternoon:

have a pair of 8-ohm, 15w AlNiCo Blues arriving today that will eventually end up in a Valvetech Hayseed 30 I've ordered.

I want to break them in, so I thought I'd put them in a friend's Bluesbreaker reissue that I'm borrowing in the meantime.

My question is, will it be safe? In other words, is a BB in fact a 30w amp? And will it take two 8-ohm speakers?

Bonus question: will they sound good?

Thanks for any advice!

2. trisonic

trisonic Member

The originals used to come with Blues (but they didn't look like that - the Blue ones were for Vox) for a short time. Clapton had ceramics in his though. Whether they sound good or not is up to the listener. The 1962 model (JTM45) puts out about 33 - 35 watts.

Best, Pete.

3. bscepter

bscepter Member

Thanks for the quick response.

I typically play the BB with all the knobs on "eleven." Will this hurt the new speakers? I've heard that the 15w rating is somewhat conservative.

4. trisonic

trisonic Member

I'm not going to guarentee that!
    I thought that they were 18 watt, not much different I suppose....
    Send an email to Celestion?

Best, Pete.

5. Roe

Roe Member

it will be safe if you don't boost the signal (or use valves that will put out more power than a kt66).

6. bscepter

bscepter Member

I think there are EL34s in there (it's a reissue) and I'm using a germanium rangemaster-esque treble boost on the front end.

7. Roe

Roe Member

that's NOT safe. Don't use it at full blast.

8. bscepter

bscepter Member

Stupid question: what exactly happens when a speaker "blows?"

9. Roe

Roe Member

a reissue has 5881s - that's not a problem

10. bscepter

bscepter Member

Actually, I'm pretty sure they're EL34s (though I know that Ken Bran used 5881s initially, switching to KT66s when stock ran low). By the way, it's a late-80s or very early 90s reissue that's been through a couple of owners (it has Vintage 30s in there now). It's possible that somebody switched out the valves.

11. bscepter

bscepter Member

After all the advice and input, I've decided not to break my Blues in with the BB. I'll wait for the Valvetech.

Thanks to everyone -- it's been enlightening.