1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Celestion Blues Power Handling

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by clarkram, Jul 27, 2006.

1. clarkram

clarkram Member

I picked up a /13 RSA 31 rig with a 2x12 loaded with blues last week and I was wondering how safe is it to run this 30 watt amp at high volumes into these 2 15 watt speakers.?

Any blues users have any advice?
    thanks

2. Luke

Luke Senior Member

Rated power and peak distorted power can be vastly different numbers, many old 100 watt Marshalls put out 180 watts of power.

I would use an attenuator in line when approaching and possibly exceeding the capacity of the speakers.

3. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

Can't wait until I see some folks using the Gold. I've got my eye on those to be used with a 2X12 config. I bet that amp sounds great into the Blues!

4. clarkram

clarkram Member

yes, the amp sounds really good with these spkrs. I always followed the basic guidelines of using spkrs that were rated 50% more than the amps rated output. The 31 has half power switch which I havent tried yet, also want to run it into my B Burt/scumback later.

5. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

There're two answers:
    1. Sonic-two blues sound heavenly with 30w of EL84 power going into them-you paid for the tone, go for it.
    2. Financial-blues will not likely last forever in that scenario and they are expensive to replace.

Another good alternative is the 30w Weber Alnico Blues-they sound slightly darker I guess, but I'm running my Candy Panel Vox head thru a pair and I think it sounds really good...

6. clarkram

clarkram Member

thanks for the comments. I guess that if I run the amp flat out I will run an increased risk of blue distruction.

7. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

Dialing back the bass will help protect your speakers if you are running the amp flat-out.

Also, when pushing it, be conservative with pedal usage. Every time I have ever blown a speaker it was when I had a distortion pedal cranked.

stratzrus

8. bscepter

bscepter Member

Blues are waaaay underrated. I run a dimed 33w amp into a pair of Blues, and they've sounded great for more than a year. I've heard that they're more like 20-25w each. But, yes - be careful of lower frequencies. Don't be playing that Vox Continental through them!

9. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

I can't see how this would be a problem...considering the 2x12 blues have been a staple of the 30-watt history. You should ask Fred @ รท13 what he thinks too. I think you should be fine. Rock on! I'm getting my RSA31 Tuesday.

10. clarkram

clarkram Member

hw2nw, let us know how you like the 31 when it lands. I've only had mine about a week and am in the honeymoon stage, tried the half power setting on the blues in the click channel, gawd it sounds good, little difference in volume, a little less thump.

11. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

Yeah, i really dig the half/full power switch. Like a headroom switch to me rather than volume.

I'm thinking I'll be honeymooning for a while! As soon as I get it it's going out on the road to get some playtime...I wish I could break in those blues a bit more but oh well! I'm not too worried about blowing them, I think Celestion Blues can handle the RSA quite well.

12. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

I don't mean to hijack this thread. . .but, it is about power handling abilities of Celestion Blues. . .Do you guys think that a pair of Celestion Blues would sound great in a Germino Classic 45? I believe that most JTM 45 clones are approximately 30 to 35 watts. Would a pair of blues be in danger of being exterminated if I ran them through a Classic 45?

13. PaulM

PaulM Member

I've been running a RT 66 into a pair of blues for 2 years, dimed occasionally, no problems. Do not go gently into that good night...

14. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell Member

Blues are fine in a JTM45 or AC30 derived amp. Both Weber and Celestion are extremely conservative in their ratings for their 15W "blue" speakers.

15. Roe

Roe Member

2 blues in a jtm45 is safe if the amps sees a 16 ohms - not 8 ohms - load, if you don't boost the signal from the guitar, and if you use kt66s, 6l6s, or6v6s, not el34s, kt77, 6550s, kt88s etc.

turn the bass down!

16. clarkram

clarkram Member

thanks for the advice, I guess I'll just enjoy the blues and watch the bass.

17. 1964

1964 Member

The Vox AC30 is one of the most powerful 30W amps out there and is perfectly fine running through two Cele Blues. These particular speakers are very conservatively rated.