Celestion Blues really are great speakers!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by SteveStevens, Feb 3, 2008.

1. SteveStevens

SteveStevens Member

Blues really are great speakers! I was over at the Stevenson shop trying out the new Ultimate Overdrive amp. (This thing kills. Forget it. Ted has outdone himself.) Anyhow, tried out a couple of cabs. One with two Emi Wizards, (my current fave..) another cab with two Governors, and finally hooked up the speakers from a 90s Korg AC30. Well, the Govs and Wizards both had a great hard rock thing going on. But the Blues were awesome. Reedy, papery, smokey. All in the best possible way. I really think that this is the most important aspect of the Vox mystique. The Stevenson was nailing classic 80s metal type tones, 70s rock ala "All Right Now", but we were also able to get into more chimey Big Star "September Gurls" kind of tones. Great amp and if I have my way, I'll be pairing it up with some Blues. Or the Red Fangs. Has anyone really compared the Fangs and Blues? I mean, really?

Steve

2. Griz

Griz Member

Nah, they suck.

Just kidding. :D Love mine; I have a greenback and a blue together in a 90's AC30/6TB reissue. What a sound.

3. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

The Red Fangs just sound dull next to Blues, flat and bland.

Now Scumbacks that is entirely different, better bass, nice bright highs without any harshness, like vintage Vox silvers from the middle to late 60s. I have both 60s Silvers and reissue Blues and had a Scumnico here for a show down. Ordered four more Scumnicos for the ultimate 4x12 like from the JTM45/100 days can't wait.

4. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

I agreee! And for higher power needs, the golds are sweet too!

5. SteveStevens

SteveStevens Member

I see. How do the Scumbacks compare in price?

6. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

About $40 cheaper than a Blue.:BOUNCE

7. Squigglefunk

Squigglefunk Senior Member

they are decent sounding speakers, the low power handling and tone do not work for me tho.

8. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

9. hogy

hogy Member

The pope really is catholic!

The bear really does **** in the woods!

10. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

What model scumbacks are you referring to exactly? I didn't see them here on my first look.. http://www.southbayampworks.com/speakers.html

11. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

Another Blue/Gold fan! Anyone tried a Blue with a Matchless Spitfire?

12. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

13. SteveStevens

SteveStevens Member

My Stevenson is a 50w head. This is sort of why I was thinking about the Red Fangs. A fellow at Eminence said he wouldn't hesitate to put 75 watts through one. He implied that the 30 watt rating was more of a marketing issue so that they wouldn't be perceived as out of range of the Blues. FWIW, I did think that the Red Fangs were the coolest sounding speaker at the Eminence booth. I just wish that I could AB them with the Blues.

Steve

14. rooster

rooster Member

FWIW, I just loaded my 2x12 oversize closed-back cabinet with a Red Fang and a Stonehenge. The two together are perfect for what I want, but keep in mind that my cabinet is pretty big (24x31x14), so there's a LOT of air in there -- the cab has a heavy bass end. I wouldn't hesitate to swap in a Blue for the RF, but the Blue comes in at $100 more and the 15W power capacity in a 2x12 (limiting my amp to 30W, and with a quad of JJ6V6S's, I think I'll be exceeding that from time to time) is not up to what I need.

I think the new Eminence line is pretty darned good, even though at heart I'm still a Weber fan; my favorite speaker in a 1x12 open back being his G12H30-55. One of these days I'm going to have to get one of his Alnicos. I'd go for his Alnico Blue Dog, but I find that speaker to be a bit honky in the midrange; good for an open-back and a vox-type circuit, but not so good for a closed-back with my circuit. Were I you, I wouldn't hesitate to get a RF, because you can always flip it here on TGP pretty quickly (probably to me :D), but the Blue is a great speaker (for most any style of music, believe it or not) if you can deal with the power handling issue.

rooster.

15. ssdeluxe

ssdeluxe Member

sorry, have not had a chance to compare them, but for some reason I don't gravitate to eminence sprks, but maybe the newer ones are better, I tried alot of them when helping voice my brothers amps (edwardamp.com), and they didn't sing to our liking...perhaps better now.

back on topic: but the blues are terrific.>!!>.they need time to break in, but when they do, terrific. But I have to admit, they are costly for that extra 5-10% of joyous tone !

hey Griz, the mismatch in efficiency doesn't mess with the tone (blue/greenback combo) ?? ...greens are not as loud, just curious if that screws with phase and spkr load ??????

16. ssdeluxe

ssdeluxe Member

p.s. although not widely advertised, you can most definately push the blues past the 15watt range, apparently they can handle more, I'm pushing a pair with a 100w. superlead and traynor ygl mark III :eek:

but, I'm being carfull, that would be an expensive recone !

I know some folks don't recommend going close to the spkr recomend, but I have pushed my pair into 50wattish territory and they can take it....the break in is great too . just be careful.

17. jspax7

jspax7 Member

Anyone compare the Celestion Gold or Scumnico with a Jensen Jet alnico?

18. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

19. Old Pucker

Old Pucker Member

Anybody else A/B a blue with a red fang? Just curious & have recently ordered a blue to try this myself...

20. Griz

Griz Member

You'd have to get a tech to comment, to really get your answer. I was going to change both to Blues, but I liked what I heard. And since the impedance load per speaker is nominally the same as before, I figured it was a reasonably safe move. So far no problems.

There are audible differences, of course, in tone and volume between the two types of speakers. And it seems to me that occasionally certain notes sound louder out of one than the other.

Odd-pairing speakers, I'm guessing, usually involves differences in efficiency. I'm not sure whether Matchless, 65Amps and others who deliberately combine dissimilar speakers exactly match the efficiency values in a pair.

Good question.