Celestion Blues

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by CADdrafter, Jan 22, 2008.

1. CADdrafter

CADdrafter Senior Member

Anyone have experience with these speakers?

What would you say are the pros/cons?

2. SW33THAND5

SW33THAND5 Member

get a weber blue dog AlNiCo for less dough.

(i know that doesn't answer your question...but there you are!)

3. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

The Blues are perfect at doing the critical task of rounding off the top end without getting muddy. They kill the fizz but not the clarity. That's what I love about them.

The only con as far as I'm concerned is the power handling. Supposedly they have a flabby bass response, but I haven't particularly noticed it. I think most of the complaints seem to come form the drop-tuning crowd, so apparently they're not for metal. That being said, I have no issues putting the high gain to them.

4. 908SSP

908SSP Member

For the brightest smoothest top end nothing beat the Blues [Webbers aren't close]. For more bottom and slightly less top the Scumnicos sound killer, Beano all the way. For warm and smooth even less top and more bottom the TT Hemp Alnicos. I have tried all the budget alnicos they always sound well budget in comparison.

5. clamdip7714

clamdip7714 Guest

Great speakers, low wattage, high price. I like my Fane 12-30 which is similar to a point but can handle 100 watts.

6. Hand of Doom

Hand of Doom Member

I just put a Blue in my Clark Beaufort Special. Man, what an amazing combo the 5E3 and Blue!

7. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

If power handling is a problem, try the Gold. Near as dammit to the Blue tone, takes 50 watts. Both are incredibly sweet, detailed, smooth on top but chimy. Seems a contradiction but somehow they make it work.

8. 3 Mile Stone

3 Mile Stone Silver Supporting Member

The Scumnicos are not on the web page. Are they new or did I miss them?

9. jamison162

jamison162 Member

I'll have to disagree. I am one who was very dissapointed by the Gold I tried.

10. jerrybic

jerrybic Member

I have an Eminence Alnico Red Fang in my Vox AC30 and it sounds amazing. It depends on what you're playing through, but through the Vox, it's definitely not a $100+ tone difference in my opinion. Again, depending on what your style is, but the biggest "con" I saw with the blues was clean headroom. To some people that's OK though too. Personal taste I guess.

11. teleamp

teleamp Senior Member

I like Blues, but the prices have gone up and I am going to try a Warehouse Black & Blue Alnico (I ordered it a fews days ago and will post findings soon).
    There is a company in Austin that rebuilds new Blues to their specs, so they are pricy and I have not tried them yet.

MikeY

12. doublee

doublee Member

Why?