Celestion Century Neo 80 Mystery

Stu Blue

Here in the UK suddenly the Century Neo 80 is no longer available and not listed on the Celestion site. It was £70 here (about $100us). The fact that it's now advertised in the States at $285 might just have something to do with it.

The unpopular Vintage Century Neo 60 watt is still available around £70.... and listed on the Celestion site. Has the price of Neo metal shot up or something...?

Trout

Here in the UK suddenly the Century Neo 80 is no longer available and not listed on the Celestion site. It was £70 here (about $100us). The fact that it's now advertised in the States at $285 might just have something to do with it.

The unpopular Vintage Century Neo 60 watt is still available around £70.... and listed on the Celestion site. Has the price of Neo metal shot up or something...?
Interesting,
Can you still get Jensen Neo's? I am wondering if it has fallen into a banned material, I know some countries are banning imports on magnetic devices.
I went through a load of problems sending a vintage speaker to Italy a while back, that was their PO explanation.

Stu Blue

Celestion actually responded to my email... here the answer from "Dr Decibel" on the celestion site....

I'm afraid it is now discontinued as there were so many special parts
for it and the cost of the magnet material went through the roof thanks
to all these 'green' cars!
I believe the last few stock went to an internet company called Lean
Business so you may still be able to buy one of the last ones.
Sorry
The Doc

I've already got two of these '80s and they are my current favourites; been recommending them to everyone I know... sad.

Last edited:

blackba

Gold Supporting Member
I was wondering when the hybrid cars heavy use of neodymium would get into affecting the prices of the neo speakers. Now may be the time to get neo speakers before the price really shoots up with all the speaker manufacturers....

DeaconBlues

Thanks for posting this. I have one of the Century Neo's, and had noticed that they were no longer listed on the Celestion site. I've actually listed mine for sale recently. I guess I need to rethink that move.
I have three different Neo mag speakers. A Weber, a Celestion and an Eminence. They are all a bit different flavor, but they are becoming my favorite speaker magnet material.
I've always preferred AlNiCo mags, and I'll use ceramic where I need the extra firmness in the bass response. The neo mags seem to give me the sweetness of AlNiCo and still remain firm on the bottom end. Let's hope they don't become hard to get.

Trending Topics