celestion creamback g12m-65 or h-75 in ampeg vt22

Silent Sound

Well which one do you like better? That's the one I'd go with if I were you.

But I'm not you. So my advice is neither. Neither speaker is, in my opinion, a good choice for a VT22. I'd go with something like a vintage Altec Lansing 417. I'd save the greenbacks and creambacks for Marshall amps.

okavipra

Well which one do you like better? That's the one I'd go with if I were you.

But I'm not you. So my advice is neither. Neither speaker is, in my opinion, a good choice for a VT22. I'd go with something like a vintage Altec Lansing 417. I'd save the greenbacks and creambacks for Marshall amps.
My friend, Vintage altec lancing 417B is 500 euros(640$) in Serbia(never saw 417-8c in listings over here, and if i try with ebay, will have to pay shipping about 150$ if seller wants to ship them at all and consider some chipper couriers ... and of course there is customs, about 250$, so it goes over 500 euros, i just dont want to pay that much for 2 speakers) , was thinking about eminence, but couldn't really find one or me ...

amphog

The Eminence EV and JBL clones would work well in that amp.

Last edited:

Silent Sound

Yeah, that's a bit much to pay for a speaker. I tend to prefer clean American sounding speakers for Ampegs. But that's only my opinion. Eminence speakers are made in the U.S., so I wouldn't be surprised to see them being really expensive in Serbia as well. But I've never been there, so I can't say. If Eminence speakers are relatively cheap, what about WGS, Tone Tubby, Scumback and Weber speakers? Can you find them at a good price? Celestion makes some great speakers, indeed some of my favorites, but aren't what I'd go with if I were trying to upgrade an Ampeg. But that's, once again, only my opinion.

Are you able to try any out before you buy them? Or buy from a place with a good return policy in case you don't like them? Speakers mostly come down to personal tastes and so much of it will depend on where your personal tastes lie. You may even like greenbacks in that amp! I wouldn't, but I'm not you. And my opinion doesn't matter.

Many people on this forum LOVE the Cannabis Rex speakers for all kinds of amps. I personally hate them. They sound like someone threw a blanket over the cab to me. I struggle to get them to cut through the rest of the band and wind up having to turn up way to loud just to be heard. Still, many people complain about the speakers that I do like as sounding "ice picky", and those people tend to love the Cannabis Rex. Which one of us is right? We all are. Like I said, it's a personal choice. Think of it like color. What's your favorite color? There is no right or wrong answer, so long as you make that decision yourself. You just like the color that you like. The only way to like the wrong color, is if you like a color only because other people like it.

Back on point. If I were you, I'd figure out some way to try as many different speakers as you can with your amp, and find out which one(s) you like best. Borrow cabs from other guitarists. Test all of the ones you can find at your local music stores. If you're desperate, listen to Youtube clips, though that's no where near as good as hearing the speaker in person. With enough research, the right choice should become obvious.

okavipra

Yeah, that's a bit much to pay for a speaker. I tend to prefer clean American sounding speakers for Ampegs. But that's only my opinion. Eminence speakers are made in the U.S., so I wouldn't be surprised to see them being really expensive in Serbia as well. But I've never been there, so I can't say. If Eminence speakers are relatively cheap, what about WGS, Tone Tubby, Scumback and Weber speakers? Can you find them at a good price? Celestion makes some great speakers, indeed some of my favorites, but aren't what I'd go with if I were trying to upgrade an Ampeg. But that's, once again, only my opinion.

Are you able to try any out before you buy them? Or buy from a place with a good return policy in case you don't like them? Speakers mostly come down to personal tastes and so much of it will depend on where your personal tastes lie. You may even like greenbacks in that amp! I wouldn't, but I'm not you. And my opinion doesn't matter.

Many people on this forum LOVE the Cannabis Rex speakers for all kinds of amps. I personally hate them. They sound like someone threw a blanket over the cab to me. I struggle to get them to cut through the rest of the band and wind up having to turn up way to loud just to be heard. Still, many people complain about the speakers that I do like as sounding "ice picky", and those people tend to love the Cannabis Rex. Which one of us is right? We all are. Like I said, it's a personal choice. Think of it like color. What's your favorite color? There is no right or wrong answer, so long as you make that decision yourself. You just like the color that you like. The only way to like the wrong color, is if you like a color only because other people like it.

Back on point. If I were you, I'd figure out some way to try as many different speakers as you can with your amp, and find out which one(s) you like best. Borrow cabs from other guitarists. Test all of the ones you can find at your local music stores. If you're desperate, listen to Youtube clips, though that's no where near as good as hearing the speaker in person. With enough research, the right choice should become obvious.
spot on with this reply !!!its a little cheap to talk crap about my country(since everyone here does) but when it comes to this it really is bad ... there is absolutely no returning .When you buy speaker its done , thats it . Sadly thou you cant get half a price you payed for the speaker when bought new if you dont like it ...Eminence has a really nice price tag, just dont know which one, fliptop suggests either Texas heat or Private Jack . I heard some clips on net and kind a liked Private Jack, found out that red coat series is eminences take on British speakers, and came with the conclusion that its better to buy english speaker than american take on English speaker (than again am maybe wrong ...) so i heard some creamback clips and kind a diged g12m-65 ... to get the idea im playing my ampeg vt22 through 3x12 70's marshal cab with celestion g12h30 55hz blackback, and im very pleased with its sond for cleans, rarely play with the distortion, never by a cranked amp since its impossible to get some dirt, and save your sense of hearing. Im using distortions and fuzzes for that . But my prime goal is clean tone that i like with blackbacks. Thanks for your post , now i see that i should write this reply under the original post. Since im trying to change stock speakers, that i really dont like ... would like to get in twin reverb territory only with more balls, would avoid jbl d120 , while , it is a great speaker all the magic stops when you engage distortion or fuzz. Guess it has its own pros ,but think aluminium dust cap is a little to much for me, tried evm 15l pro line speaker, and really didnt like it for guitar. Long story long, that would be pretty much it about tone id like to get, sorry to bother, and probably on some weird grammatical errors :D

Trending Topics