Celestion F12-X200 Guitar Speaker for Amp Modellers and IRs.

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by johnhager25, Jan 25, 2018.

1. johnhager25

johnhager25 Member

Celestion F12-X200
    https://celestion.com/product/200/f12x200/

From the Celestion page:
    A dedicated guitar speaker for amp modellers and IRs. The F12-X200 is a truly full range driver that delivers a frequency response from 60Hz all the way up to 20kHz, the higher frequency part of the signal is reproduced using a Celestion compression driver which has been integrated using a high quality crossover circuit. This enables the F12-X200 to reproduce the full spectrum of audible frequencies, for the most accurate output possible, whatever your environment and set-up.

The F12-X200's response is remarkably neutral, with Celestion technology built in to ensure there are no unwanted colourations that can overpower the input signal. However, the lighter moving mass and straighter sided cone of the type commonly used with guitar speakers gives the X200 the feel and live response of a traditional guitar speaker, delivering all the physical feedback you'd to expect from playing through a conventional guitar rig.

Used with amp modellers or IRs, in a backline cab or a wedge monitor, on stage or in the studio, it doesn't just sound like great guitar tone, it feels like it too.

2. goodkungfu

goodkungfu Member

This could be exciting. Hope it lives up to the promise.

Color me intrigued

ur2funky and LordByron like this.
  3. Incufan7

Incufan7 Member

Woah, this could be huge. Aren't cabs themselves part of the problem? How would using two of these in a mesa 2x12 fix that?

johnhager25 likes this.
  4. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

I pre-ordered one to stick in an extra Mojo Canyon cab I have sitting around. I'll report when I have had a chance to test drive it for a while.

5. Brandon7s

Brandon7s Member

Very interesting. Would be curious to hear how this pans out. It's a good concept.

johnhager25 likes this.
  6. Watt McCo

Watt McCo Member

Meh, I'll trust Celestion with the sound of rock and roll; I'll trust people that have been making PA systems for decades with FRFR.

burningyen, Madmax25 and Kutch like this.
  7. Chris@TGP

Chris@TGP Member

Oh that looks sweet!

8. man_mars

man_mars Member

Whats it priced at ?

9. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

In a perfect world I'd get a couple Meyer MJF-212. Only $9k for a used pair. :confused: :p

[​IMG]

10. Dave Merrill

Dave Merrill Supporting Member

And 108lbs. Each. And Nope Again.

KeLynne, MIJLOVER and JiveTurkey like this.
  11. Watt McCo

Watt McCo Member

The world is perfect, so...roadie or advanced drone tech.

Rocco Crocco, KeLynne, Blix and 3 others like this.
  12. Steve Dallas

Or, you could let go of your preconceived notions and determine the outcome with your ears. BTW, Celestion has been making PA and home audio speakers since the 1920s. They are all over Europe.

I'm not sure what retail is. I ordered it wholesale and cannot divulge what I paid. My guess is the $120 to $150 range.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    LordByron and Ferg Deluxe like this.
  13. Watt McCo

Watt McCo Member

As always. I hope it's great and am glad some are willing to be early adopters

Guitardave likes this.
  14. Unnecessary

Unnecessary Member

Celestion has been making PA speakers/drivers for decades, no?
    This seems to be a pretty standard coaxial driver with probably a higher crossover point to keep more of the upper mids in the woofer for more guitar-like sound?
    This could be cool to build a box around and then power with my PowerBlock in mono for a downsized rig.

yeky83 likes this.
  15. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

Wow, that's quite the accomplishment with a single driver. Doesn't seem to be a coaxial speaker. Very interested to hear more.

16. Steve Dallas

Yeah.

I want to test drive this for the "I wish someone made an FRFR that looks like a guitar cab (and only costs $300!)" crowd. I'm pretty sure it's going to suck in a regular guitar cab though.

FRFR means little to no cabinet resonance, even at high SPL, which means lots of MDF/HDF and green glue and bracing, which means cost and WEIGHT. So, you either have to live with the weight or use space age materials.

OTOH, some resonance might be quaint for the play at home folks, who like amp in room sound, and wonder why they can't hear the Marshall birch, when they get their best woody / reedy Hendrix on with their modeler in the family room. That's what I want to find out, because I am one of those guys at times. I have an empty birch cab and an empty pine cab available for testing. Maybe there is a niche for this outside of PA type FRFR applications.

For a manufacturer, this is how something like this would add up. A good American-made 1936 style 1x12 cab costs $250 wholesale. This speaker is in the ballpark of $100. A decent generic [hopefully reliable] Chi-Com plate amp is around $100. Add separate shipping to all of that. Also add $100 to cover fixed and variable business expenses and a little profit. We are at $550 plus shipping to build and sell something like that. Retail would have to be around $600. There are a lot of good new and used options for $600.

This idea of mine would have to fit the niche of a low to moderate volume solution, where natural cabinet resonance is desired to complement the speaker model / IR.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    Guitardave and Watt McCo like this.
  17. vtgearhead

vtgearhead Silver Supporting Member

Suddenly everyone is discovering the advantages of coaxial speakers for nearfield monitoring.

yeky83 likes this.
  18. Unnecessary

Unnecessary Member

Pretty sure its got two different drivers and built-in crossover. Not sure how you get that in one driver WITHOUT being coaxial.

yeky83 likes this.
  19. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

From the data sheet: "..the higher frequency part of the signal is reproduced using a Celestion compression driver which has been integrated using a high quality crossover circuit." So it does have a tiny little tweeter and crossover in there.

I'm intrigued as well; would really like to get one and try it out. You could take one of these, drop it in say a Peavey TransTube Bandit, plug your modeler of choice into the power amp input, and have a simple killer stage system. However I'm used to hearing a few tweeters and woofers lose their integration trying to amplify a screaming guitar modeler on a loud stage (the woofer starts to compress while the tweeter just gets louder). I really hope Celestion has solved this, as well as dispersion issues. It would be a great help if they did.

20. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

My bad, they stated clearly that there is a high frequency driver and crossover. But I don't see it anywhere on the driver itself. Very strange.

There's two potential benefits to this:

First, it's a drop-in for a standard guitar cabinet. So if you have a 1x12 (or 2x12) you can easily convert to FRFR.

Second, there's potential to kind of have a happy medium between a guitar cab and FRFR. This could act closer to a guitar speaker but without as much coloration.

Any word on price?

Watt McCo likes this.