Celestion F12-X200 Guitar Speaker for Amp Modellers and IRs.

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by johnhager25, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Antipodes

Antipodes Member

@ Ben. Thanks for the report. What is the likely timeline for these things showing up in Oz?

2. benifin

benifin Supporting Member

When I ordered mine from the UK I first checked with the Oz importer and was told mid-late-July.

Hope that helps.

Ben

3. BKE

BKE Member

Any reason you couldn’t use a tube poweramp like a powerstation with this sealer?

4. Chocol8

Chocol8 Member

The only reason you couldn’t use a F12-x200 with a tube amp would be if the amp didn’t have an 8ohm tap.

5. Promit

Promit Member

HOLY BACONATOR Sweetwater just shipped my F12. I legitimately didn't think this was possible and haven't yet bought/built a cab for it o_O

Alex Kenivel likes this.
  6. Alex Kenivel

Alex Kenivel Member

Looks like the unicorns are finally landing

7. JoeInOttawa

JoeInOttawa Member

Well, one, anyway...

Watt McCo and Alex Kenivel like this.
  8. Alex Kenivel

Alex Kenivel Member

My guess is Sweetwater received a shipment and those went out to customers with back orders.

Their site says more expected in a few days.

This is kind of what happened when the HX Stomp was starting to ship

9. JoeInOttawa

JoeInOttawa Member

Well, except for the two-year lead-time...

;)

Alex Kenivel and JiveTurkey like this.
  10. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Trumpets and Tants Silver Supporting Member

Report back so I can continue to not buy one :banana:banana:banana

11. Ejay

Ejay Member

Good....now they oughta have time to press those d**m Kemper speakers!!

JiveTurkey likes this.
  12. darkphader

darkphader Member

Mine arrives tomorrow. I am really happy with the Jensen Tornado Stealth 65 used with the Kemper cab off, but needed to give this a try.

13. Yek

Yek Member

I was hoping that this speaker would deliver on the promise of full-range reproduction with the punch of a traditional guitar speaker. Currently I'm using CLRs for FRFR amplification/monitoring, and traditional Port City cabs for backline purposes.

I received the speaker this week. And well, it was a short-lived experiment...

I mounted it in my Port City 1x12 OS Wave, and compared it to my Port City 2x12 (traditional guitar speakers) and my Atomic CLRs (with IRs). I'm using an Axe-Fx III.

Sadly, the F12-X200 (with IRs) in the 1x12 can't hold a candle to either. Regardless of the selected IR (I tested quite a few, near-field and far-field), the speaker sounds thin and sharp in the upper mids. Almost like there's a piezo bleeding through. The difference in quality and full-range reproduction between the CLRs and the X200, using the same IR, is painfully large. Presets created on good quality studio speakers will not translate well to the X200, they'll need serious adjustments. There's really no way that this speaker would be able to replace my current monitors / cabs. The hype did not survive real-world testing.

@celestion101, what has gone wrong here with the production (or quality control)?

I've put the KTS-70 back in the 1x12 cab. What a relief.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  14. darkphader

darkphader Member

Just installed the F12-X200 in my Rick Johnson 1x12 (pine open back - a beauty, lacquered tweed with oxblood cloth, leather handle), great cabs, liked this one so much I had him build a matching 2x12.

For me the speaker delivers, sounds great. Not that my traditional speaker (Jensen Tornado Stealth 65) didn't sound excellent, but using the F12-X200 allows the different cabs to show through, whereas with the Jensen I needed to turn the monitor cab off in my powered Kemper so every profile played through the "same cab".

I do not have any other FRFR guitar cab to compare it to, but it sounds reasonably close, and actually better, than playing live through my near-fields (Mackie HR824), although it's not in stereo.

A lot may depend upon your cab, your gear, etc. But for me it's a winner.

mbenigni likes this.
  15. JoeInOttawa

JoeInOttawa Member

Looks like one of my regular suppliers now has a supply. Or at least, he will next week. I'm going to visit him with my Deuce Deluxe and we're going to play with it to see if it might be a good upgrade. Love my Deuce, but I'm always looking for that next better thing, so it's worth the visit.

If I hate it, I'll take a cellphone video and post it; if I like it, I'll bring it home and make a proper recording.

mbenigni likes this.
  16. JoeInOttawa

JoeInOttawa Member

How has this not prompted @JiveTurkey 's ire? Is he on vacation or something? Do we even allow that??
    :)

JiveTurkey likes this.
  17. JiveTurkey

:DI saw your post last night. No ire whatsoever. I think? I am excited to hear your take on it. I know what I think the outcome will be I am certainly open to be proven wrong :drink

JoeInOttawa likes this.
  18. JoeInOttawa

JoeInOttawa Member

I'm actually optimistic at this point. The Deuce can be quite bassy -- having started life as a bass amp -- but it is completely controllable, and it is a fantastic solution for my backline needs. I just wonder if the F12 gets me a bit more guitar-range tone. I'm not optimistic that it will be a MASSIVE upgrade, but I'm optimistic enough to give it a try.

One thing I might miss if I swap them is that I use the high-pass when the Deuce is on the floor, but when it's on a chair or stand and uncoupled, I leave the high-pass off to get back some of that cab-on-floor oomph. The Deuce woofer being a proper woofer means it will generate that low-end when in the air rather than on the floor, but I don't know how the F12 will respond. Guess we'll see.

mbenigni likes this.
  19. JiveTurkey

Ah so you would swap the speaker out in the Deuce for the FX? Interesting. Not sure how well it would work but it's worth a try.

20. Crow

Crow Member

I'd like to hear how that works out with the F12-X200 in the Deuce Deluxe. I assume you wouldn't use the tweeter mounted in the Deuce and could just deactivate it.

mbenigni likes this.