• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Celestion G12-65 Love?

Daprofessor

Anyone love this speaker in Marshall style amps? There were around in the early 80’s pre G12-75’s. Do they give that 80’s tone in our cabs?

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
I loved the old ones. Bought some reissue versions when they first came out.. weren’t the same, but that was 15 years ago.. maybe the newer ones sound like the old ones.....
holy moly. 21000 posts....Hope I’ve been helpful to some of you.. I’ve certainly learned a lot along the way.. thank you.......

shock me

Silver Supporting Member
Earlier this summer I picked up an '83 JCM800 4x12 loaded with original g12-65s. My Mesa Mark IVa just kills through those speakers. I sold my Mesa cab with V30s.

JLR

I have a couple of 65's from '83 in my 4104. It's my favorite speaker hands down. Very smooth and basically a high powered greenback. Early 75's are very similar. I also like the ET65's from WGS.

buddy7168

Gold Supporting Member
I have a quad of the Heritage g12-65s and I think they’re awesome. They are dark but I like that I can turn the treble and presence up more on my 2203. They have a great mid-range and relatively tight bass as well.

Daprofessor

Well, I spent some time this weekend trying to remove the back of a Bogner Oversized 2x12 cab to install some Scumback BM-75 LD's, the Scumback take on the G12-65 speakers. Too tired to fire it up right now and only two soldering iron burns. I will fire them up with my Friedman JEL amp with this cab after my solder headache goes away.

Daprofessor

FYI

I got to play the JEL via two Bogner Oversized 2x12 cabinets. I think you can describe the Friedman JEL as a bright amp, although you can adjust the tone. But with everything at noon, I have the following results

Cab 1- Mix M75/H75 (Very Bright sounding, almost tinny sounding).

Cab 2- two BM-75 LD's (Warmer and very nice). This is the appropriate speaker combination for the amp. Jim was right on the money once again!

And, I love the M75/H75 speaker mix for other amps, there are my go to speaker combination for my BE-100. But, those BM-75 LD's just worked for a bright sounding amp. It makes sense as I have heard G12-65's described as dark speakers which the G12-65's seem to replicate to some degree.

I hope this review helps.

Trending Topics