celestion g12-65's sound nasal and honky...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by woude, Feb 20, 2008.

1. woude

woude Member

...but I haven't played them a lot since I installed them. Will this change after a breaking-in period?

Although I like their smooth, balanced sound, it also sounds as if there is a blanket over the speakers. I replaced 10" jensen p10r's with these celestions and although the p10r's are not the best speaker out there, the celestions seem to lack complexity, sparkle and 'projection' when compared to the jensens.

Anyone experience the same thing? Will this change over time?

2. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Yeah Ive had a similar experience with mine-not nasal and honky but very midrange heavy and almost dulling because of it. They may even out a bit over time or your ears may adjust. Ive had a hard time using them alone so far but I love the mix of a G12H-30 and G12-65. Who knows perhaps after 50 hours thet will sound better alone to me. Bob

3. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Member

Not my experience, and I will bet that they are not going to change THAT much with break in.
    Probably just not the speaker for you.

4. Woodyworld

Woodyworld Member

I found the same when I first installed them. Struggled to enjoy them and couldn't understand what the hype was about.

I persevered and they now sound wonderful- fast becoming my favourite speaker. You have to put some playing hours into them. They'll start to open up and sweeten.

5. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Did you notice, or could you estimate roughly HOW many hours you think it might have been?

6. woude

woude Member

Thanks for your post! Now I can't wait for them to open up! :AOK How long did it take to hear the difference?

7. Woodyworld

Woodyworld Member

StompBoxBlues, woude,

I would guess you should hear some difference somewhere around the 30 - 40 hour mark. Ive been using them for around six months - usually run about 8 - 10 hours worth of gig volume through them weekly. after a couple of months they really started to sound nice.

Quite a few chaps here have reported similiar experiences with them. do a search on 1265's- some fella a few weeks back posted something very similar - good responses in that post.

Edit: here's and example
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=332604&highlight=1265

Various views on this but the break in period gets mentioned.....

:)

8. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

I put mine on the break-in machine for 72 hours and really like the results. In an oversized closed back 2x12 cab, they sound like a meaty cross between a G12H and a V30. Might not suit everyone, but I really like them with certain amps.

9. woude

woude Member

Thanks Woodyworld, I've just read the thread.

I'm going to try them with a well broken in v30 (english) and a well broken in g12h (heritage) soon. Maybe the g12h gives it some extra sparkle & bite.

10. Mitch T

Mitch T Member

Cool, you swapped the 4x10's for a 2x12 setup? In the combo cabinet or separate?

11. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

Well yes, they are a mid range heavy speaker. And a Jensen 10 would have more top end. Nasal...not to my ears. But it also depends o the enclosure they're in.

12. Purplexi

Purplexi Member

I always thought "nasal and honky" were desirable tonal descriptions. Are "throaty and woody" also bad??...just kidding.

13. bosstone

bosstone Member

They are about the least nasaly and honky speakers you can find.

14. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I have 4 in two cabs with about 40-50 each cab, I love them, but I like a thick midrange.

15. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Do yourself a favor and try em with a well broken in G12H-30. They compliment each other pefectly IMO. Unlike the V30 which already has more than enough mids the G12H-30 locks right into the G12-65 because it has substantially less mids. Bob

16. losrufianes7

losrufianes7 Member

I got one installed in my Kingsley D52 and another in a Hermida ported 1x12" cab. In the D52 sounds very nice and smooth but with the Hermida cab, is another story ... thick, detailed, and very balanced with a very musical bottom end ... it's the best cab/speaker configuration I've tried so far. I did a test, with a bunch of local musicians, next to a top of the line 4x12" (with 2 Vintage 30's and 2 G12H-30, though) and everyone agreed that the Hermida/G12-65 sounded the best "by far". The crazy part is that it even has more low-end than the 4x12"! Maybe the port? I don't know, I never had a ported cab before.

I will be testing the ported 2x12" very soon!

I also have a Kingsley 1x12" (convertible back) with a Gold that is very very nice and paired with the D52, the combination kick @$$.

17. peedenmark7

peedenmark7 Member

g12-65's are not a 10"speaker nor do they sound like them...

I would respectfully submit from 30 plus years of real life marshall experience that either....
    A: you read the hype and never heard a "real" G12-65
    B: bought the heritage based on the hype , which if you were there in the day this speaker is so close your vintage snob ears once broke in, cant tell the difference.
    C: simply comparing apples to oranges thus being skewed to start with

really.... most educated ears ...will be giving their "subjective" opinions through a jcm 8oo marshall..
    granted I dont care for the 800 in any way shape or from... but pump those speakers through a "76-78 master volume marshall driven by a real birch 1960A/B cab and you have pure tonal heaven...

heck, I even like them through my jubilee rigs !!

I am not a speaker mixing guy... my vintage g12H30s kill in the right setting as do my 65's or 4x12 v-30 rigs....

there is no one amp , one cab solution...you drag the best or "model "away..

18. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

I have only owned the old ones, and some are balanced while sounding like a high powered/smoother Greenback.

Then I have had a couple that were nasal and honky.

Nice to see I am not the only one.

19. woude

woude Member

I bought a koch classictone 4x10" enclosure and made a new 2x12 baffleboard for it (with gerard ;)), switched the grillcloth from the 4x10" baffle to the 2x12" baffle. Fits perfectly!

20. woude

woude Member

I bought them without ever hearing them in person. Listened to dozens of clips, songs, artist, etc, read descriptions and in the end I just got an amazing deal, I got them pretty cheap compared to what they cost normally.

I expected a lot of change! I am far from unhappy with these speakers, but I expected at least the same projection & complexity as my 10" speakers. I now understand that that will increase a bit over time so I'll just wait to hear if these speakers are what I'm looking for.