Celestion G12/75 speakers in late 70's Marshall 4x12

tylerfreak

So, I bought this old late 70's Marshall 4x12 straight cab because it sounded good, popped the back off and theres some kinda weird speakers in there. They say Celestion G12/75 15 ohm, but look a lot like G12-65's with the little screen vent on the back and same kind of silver back sticker. They have larger dust caps that are more of a white/greyish color. I assume they are the very first itteration of the now popular G12T-75's, but had no idea they were even around in the 70's.

In terms of tone they sound like a cross between a G12-65, Greenback, and a G12T-75...kinda hard to imagine right?? Sounds like a lot of late 70's-early 80's rock/metal. I can hear a little of the 75's in there...more high end maybe and a strong low end, but not nearly as much as the new ones with no where near the ear fatigue. They pinch off harmonics pretty easy too, but once again arent as scooped as the modern 75's, so its a little harder than those. They like volume and get better as they are cranked...kinda like 65's the mids come out, but there is a hint of woodiness reminiscent of a Greenback, and they dont sound very effecient either.

Id say they are winners, and wanted to hear your guys opinions. I found it strange that there is little to no info on these speakers around here as they are in a Marshall 4x12, what I assume is the most popular 4x12 speaker cab, especially at that time period when rock was really kicking it up a notch late 70's to early 80's.

In summary, I wonder how many later 70's Marshall cabs have these speakers, not the 65's, 25's or M-70's that everyone assumes are in the later 70's cabs? What say you on these speakers?

solitaire

I too find that a bit early for the 75. To my knowledge the 65 was stock well into the 80s, but I'm obviously no institution on the subject.

tylerfreak

Here is a picture of the back of the speaker when I peeked in the back of the cab...the cab is a standard fairly beat late 70's Marshall with the old weave grill cloth. Im pretty certain the speakers are stock to the cab, as they dont look to have been tampered with and the back of the cab has what appears to be an original metal tag that says 300 watt cab. Anyone else see these or play them?

Trending Topics