Celestion G12 Alinco Blue Speaker Handling Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by No_Stairway, Jul 9, 2019.

1. No_Stairway

No_Stairway Member

Guessing thats a year newer than mine, my serial number starts with T. I get why they say it's a loud 18w, my 20w lunchbox is so tame in comparison.

Page of Cups likes this.
  2. Page of Cups

Page of Cups Member

That's not my amp, but there's a Ghia head at my local MusicGoRound that I might pick up this week. I look forward (without hesitation) to playing it through a Celestion Blue. I have a few other 18-watters that I push though Celestion Blues, never had a problem. In fact, if I ever blow a Blue with an 18W amp, I'll probably replace it with another Blue. I love nothing better than alnico pushed to its maximum rating, and all the amp builders say the Blue is understated at 15W. 18 watts is purrfect!:rolleyes: I also dig used Blues, and I buy them when I come across cheap ones or simply old ones, the older the better.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    Bluesful likes this.
  3. Humble Texan Fan

Humble Texan Fan Member

Prior essentially all speakers were rated music power, which is the root to the twice-the-rated-power rule/ myth that we hear so frequently. Then obviously with dirt and maxing out the amp the speaker may see a good bit more than the rated power continuously which could be pushing it a bit.

4. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc ^^^ I made this guitar^^^ Supporting Member

I had a Ghia with a blue and could not get certain high/harsh frequencies out with the single tone control. For me a Gold or greenback would have been a better choice.

5. jomo

jomo Member

its weird they put a blue in a 18 watter....i just put a alnico cream ( 90 watts) in a deluxe reverb( 22 watter ) and its killer...if i was you ill sell the blue and upgrade with ba higher wattage speaker my friend...imo

6. caspergomez

caspergomez Member

anecdotally, I used a 25 watt weber alnico Silver Bell in a DRRI and blew it doing club dates where I was typically running the amp on 5-6. its a bummer when you blow a speaker after spending the time to break it in.

7. Page of Cups

Page of Cups Member

I've had zero positive experiences with Weber Silver Bells and Blue Dogs. As a matter of fact ALL my Webers have eventually come to sound at least partially blown. I've had 100% positive experiences with Celestion speakers. I've never blown a Celestion, and every one sounds better today than the day I got it. I like all my Eminence, WGS and ASW, Jensen, Jupiter, etc......... But those Webers...*cringe*

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  8. ddog

ddog Supporting Member

Ghia and blue... like the maz has always been the go to speaker for the lower powered speaker...cant imagine it not sounding great...saying that I have maz 18 with ruby and its a match...got me thinking about blue as well...friend uses one in his maz 18 and its great sounding...have to try...your ears are the judge.

9. caspergomez

caspergomez Member

well, in my experience I have a 4x10 cab loaded with 2 and 2 of weber 10a125 and 10f125 that are more than 12 years old and doing just fine, but I did have a a California that came to me with a rub brand new. that's been my only experience with the weber speakers.

Page of Cups likes this.
  10. slavenoid

slavenoid Member

I have the blues in cabs 1 x 12, 2 x 10, and 1X8. (the 8 and 10s I think are ceramic) For my TA15 (trying to make a portable version of my AC30TBX) Most often use the 1 x 12 on 15 or 25 watts. I'm sure it could be blown on 25 watts but I have had no issues and it sounds incredible on the AC TB settings. I sometimes combine with the 2 X 10 for extra sparkle. The 8" I use at home on the 5w setting. Tried it on the 15 and it is fine but did not play it loud. I have cabs with EVM, Altec 417, JBL, Ragin Cajun, --The Blue sounds the best to me for the Vox sounds.

11. Humble Texan Fan

Humble Texan Fan Member

Weber blues are they? I don't recall any smäller size Celestions by that colour.

12. Crackpot

Crackpot Member

The Celestion Blue has been a factory option in the Ghia for years.
    I’ve gigged one in a Maz Jr (also 18 watts, also available with a factory option Blue) since 2001.
    Sounds great!

Page of Cups likes this.
  13. SkydogFan81

SkydogFan81 Supporting Member

TRUTH! I've used a blue for a lengthy gigs using a 19W amp with the volume around 11 o'clock. Blues can handle it. You probably not going to be diming the amp for long periods, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Rock that thang, baby!

Page of Cups likes this.
  14. Page of Cups

Page of Cups Member

I'm completely serious here in my survey. I've really wanted to like Weber, and it's just this year I've come to consider that Ted and I might simply have very different ears. I will give them all a whirl again because of this thread. I have a 10"silver, 10"blue, 12a125, 12a125h, and a 12"Pyle with Weber recone. My general impression across the board is that they all have very nice low end, distinct lack of midrange, and an ugly high end that reminds me of small rainstick...
    ;)
    My giving them another whirl will be checking my memory to see if the american-types really do fit that description as the british pups surely do. Either way the 12a125's sit unused as my Jupiters, Jensens and WGS are all distinctly much preferred to my ears. I do have some new amps though, to check them with, which is always exciting, my hope remains intact...
    Anyway, I've never "blown" one, but I've often wondered if the tens might be partially blown. They sound so scooped! I don't know what my point is here. It's certainly not to trash Weber. I'm totally cool with different strokes for different folks, and I must admit to being somewhat of a midrange whore. I guess my point is wondering if anybody else out there also finds Webers to sound scooped.o_O

15. Laurence

Laurence Silver Supporting Member

There's nothing wrong or really dangerous with a Blue in a Ghia (if you're playing a guitar straight in a medium to loud volumes). The real question is, do you use fuzz, boosts/ODs, Wahs at higher volumes? If so, you got a lot of potential problems.

Square wave distortion will kill a speaker, even a high wattage speaker, faster than just about anything else.

16. guitarplayer1

guitarplayer1 Supporting Member

I've used a Celestion Blue in my 18W Clark Beaufort for many years now, the Blue was a factory upgrade so there are many people with that speaker in that amp.

I agree with Laurence ... playing full tilt with fuzz might be a problem but other than that I'd say you are safe ... especially if the Dr. puts them in at the factory.

If you are hesitant I'd recommend going with the Alnico Gold .... very similar in sound but the gold will handle quite a bit more power. I've got both here but I've never A/B'd them .... just going with what people have said about them being quite similar.

17. SkydogFan81

SkydogFan81 Supporting Member

R9 -> KoT -> Divided by 13 RPB 19/37 on the 19W side -> Celestion Blue
    The amp volume was around 11 o'clock.