Celestion G12-M70's - Why no love?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sleepingtiger, Sep 14, 2006.

1. sleepingtiger

sleepingtiger Supporting Member

I love these speakers, but seldom hear them mentioned. Should I just add my love of this speaker to list of gear quirks?
    Thanks,
    Tony

2. rockon1

rockon1 Member

They are generally regarded as one of the poorer sounding Celestions made. I have a pair of them and though I thought they sounded OK after I A/B'd them against a few other Celestions I realised what people were saying. Kind of flat sounding, weak bass response and all around not very musical. Sorry for the poor review but if they work for you -cool! There are no right or wrongs with tone.:)

insanecopilot likes this.
  3. RevelationAmps

RevelationAmps Member

indeed they stink. well at least the one I had did.

4. sleepingtiger

Hmmm...they sound great(to me, at least) with my Dual Recto & did the same with an old '66 BF bassman head I used to have. The V30's always sounded so dark to me & most of the other Celestions sounded too "peaky" to me in certain frequencies. The 70's sound much more balanced, with a little "cut" to me.
    Different strokes, I guess.....
    Tony
    PS - keep the opinions coming...maybe sombody will agree with me, hehe![​IMG]

5. jdzialak

jdzialak Silver Supporting Member

I like the 70's way better than 75!
    I have one G12-70 and one Emi Gov in my CAA 2X12. It sounds great.

Joe

6. sleepingtiger

Teah! I'm NOT alone, hehe!

7. RevelationAmps

RevelationAmps Member

well FWIW I don't really like V30s either and a lot of folks like them a lot. IMHO there are too many really GREAT speakers out there for me to waste time with a G12M-70.

8. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Tony my friend, my compadre, my homey.

They sound like ASS. Ick! If you were close, I'd be forcing you to play through some scumbacks.

9. big mike

True. The M70's sound way less ass-like than the T75's.

But either way..

never going in my cabs!

10. sleepingtiger

I don't know...after the right meal I can be downright musical myself![​IMG]

No one has mentioned just what it is about their tone that is so posterior...

Mikey....And I always spoke well of you....well, I thought well of you at least...well........never mind.[​IMG]

11. big mike

LOLOL

To me, they're fuzzy, and inarticulate. You don't hear the notes like a good speaker should.

12. GreenTea

GreenTea Member

IMO, the 70s are lifeless... in contrast, I really dig the G-12-65.

13. rockon1

rockon1 Member

I did.

14. sleepingtiger

Sorry rockon[​IMG]
    I didn't notice a weak bass response with either my Recto or the BF Bassman. My ears are probably shot anyway. I still like 'em, but I AM an "ass man" anyway![​IMG]

15. carltonh

carltonh Member

Reviving this thread to help find a use for these speakers other than landfill.

I think they are midrange focused, but in a neutral way. They don't impart any life to an amp. They don't have a big bass response, and not a crystal clear treble response either.

That said, I see how they might be useful with a Recto amp. Those amps have excessive lows and highs, IMO. I think they are best used as a secondary cheap and complementary speaker in combination with a bright or scooped and lively peaker.

In my 4x12, I still have 2 of the original G12M-70s on bottom, on top I have a Weber Blue Dog and a Weber Chicago. If I wanted to mic' the cab, I'd do one of the top speakers, and the total sound of the cab is excellent.

Other speakers I could see mixing with this would be Wizards, Man-o-Wars, G12H-30s, Texas Heats, Red Ryder, Scumbacks G12H types, etc.

16. GrecoVee

GrecoVee Member

That about says it all!
    You would be better off with G12T-75's
    Oh, also stay away from Celestion G12-50's if you don't like the 70's
    Basicly the exact same tone but less wattage.

17. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

I agree with most of the posts so far... I think they're just a dull-sounding speaker. No real bass, muddy mids, lifeless top-end. No punch, resonance, sparkle or presence, just a boring overly-smooth midrange. They're also not very sensitive - on paper, 97dB the same as the G12M-25 and G12T-75, but don't sound as loud as either, to me. I don't like 75s much, but I think I prefer them (especially the early UK-made ones with the back vents) over 70s.

I suppose these things might be useful if that's the sort of tone you like and want to keep the volume down... but if you want a higher-powered 'M' type speaker that sounds good, the 65 is the way to go IMO.

I agree about the comparison with the 50s, which are similar but even weaker.

18. MONSTER ZERO

MONSTER ZERO Member

I gotta say I thought my Laney cab that had them in it was due for a new quad of something else until I actual pushed the 70's a little.

I hit that cab last night with 100 watts of tube power and it really woke it up. The louder I went the better it sounded. Unfortunately the volume that I had to get to in order to wake them up was way louder than any gig volume I'd ever reach unless I faced the cab 180 degrees away from me or something.

I found the bass to be tight and the mids pronounced with a smooth top end that didn't get spiky at all. My determination is these speakers need power to sound good. I'm sure it also helped that they are long broken in as that cab was made in 1991.

19. GT100

GT100 Member

When my brother had a 4x12 with them we mixed them with a G12-80 loaded cab and a T-75 loaded cab and every time when the 70s were added it made the sound WORSE.
    Worst Celestions EVER!

Lloyd

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

20. illini

illini Member

Wow 7 1/2 years later this thread gets revived. What is the record for this?

I had a couple of 70's in a Marshall JCM 800 cab. If I were into Metal, they would work fine, but I would still find something I liked better. That cab now is loaded with a couple M75's and sounds fantastic for the rockish vibe I am going for.