Celestion G12 Vintage 30 - Question

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by geekformayor, Jan 28, 2015.

1. geekformayor

geekformayor Member

Hey all. I want to preface this by saying I really don't know anything when it comes to speaker or cabs. I really know little about the technical side of amps, as well. I'm ready to learn.

Anyway, I am looking to purchase a new amp. But as I was going through my garage recently I found a relatively cheap amp I had forgotten about that I picked up randomly years ago. It's this Traynor YCV40, to be specific. I actually don't mind the way the cabinet looks, and it has this Celestion Vintage 30 in it...

[​IMG]

So here's my questions...

1. Is this speaker any good?
    2. Since I don't mind how the cabinet looks, could getting a custom amp chassis built to replace the Traynor guts be a viable option? I know a couple of guys who are amp builders, but I haven't reached out to them yet. Figured I'd get some opinions first. The cabinet is in good shape, feels sturdy, especially the metal mesh that protects the grille cloth and speaker.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

2. CopperTop

CopperTop Member

Speaker is good, many people here and recording artists use that speaker.

As for the chassis, I assume you want a new amp chassis to throw in that Traynor cabinet? Yes it could be done but you will have to take some measurements to hand off to the builder in order for him to make a chassis that fits your cabinet.

3. geekformayor

geekformayor Member

Cool, thanks for the response!

4. kevmin

kevmin Supporting Member

When broken in, those are one of the best all-around Celestions for open back combo's. Does the amp work? What do you not like about it?

If it were me, I would mod the amp until I liked it, or gut the chassis and build an amp of your liking in it. It appears that the amp is worth about $4-500. The speaker is worth $75-100 and a decent cabinet with a chassis and transformers would run you at least $300-400.

You can get a new faceplate made for it, once you decide what circuit you would prefer. It looks like a good shell to build a Plexi in!

5. TimmyP

TimmyP Member

I think I'd just sell it and start from scratch, as it would be less work.