Celestion G12H-100 specs

WhoJamFan

I've been on the dang computer all night searching everybody, and can't find out what the DB sensitivity rating on the g12H-100 (old, discontinued model) was. I have a chance to get one cheap and need to know where to stick it. Please resist the urge to tell me where-haha.

From what I understand, it has a big fat bottom with thick mids and no ice picks. If the db rating is workable, I have some scooped apeakers this might be a perfect match for.

I know this speaker was replaced by the g12K and T 100 models, which have more bass and a little top end from what I understand. Their specs are available, just can't find out anything technical about the g12h-100. The speaker was made in the 80s or early 90s.

Thank you.

EdMan57

From older Celestion catalog:

"A loudspeaker suitable for a wide range of playing styles.The large magnet assembly which this unit boasts keeps the low registers tight and punchy."

Celestion G12H-100 general specs:

Power rating...............100 watt.
Sensitivity..................99 dB/1w.
Chassis type..........pressed steel.
Voice coil diameter............1.75".
Voice coil material...round copper.
Magnet type.................ceramic.
Magnet weight.................50 oz.
Frequency range.......80-5000 Hz.
Resonance frequency,Fs.....80 Hz.
DC resistance,Re............6.8 ohm.
Diameter.......................309 mm.
Overall depth.................135 mm.
Magnet diameter............156 mm.
Unit weight......................4.7 kg.

I hope this helps.

Ed

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
Thes are quite bright, though ... I believe it is basically a 100 watt version of the G12H30. I had one for a short period of time, it was bright like a G12H30 and the brightest of all the speakers I had at the time. I did a comparison demo recording but it's long gone.

WhoJamFan

I*'ve read it's actually tame in the highs-no ice pick-and fat in the lows and mids. Guess I'll find out soon enough.

tga-3

Gold Supporting Member
I've been using a G12H-100 in an open back 1X12 cab for years. A pretty flat speaker with a tight bottom end. From a Blackface Fender Bassman to a Demeter TGA-3, Budda Stringmaster, Dr. Z Route 66, clean, overdriven, and high gain, it's worked with all of them.

Ron

Silver Supporting Member
Is the Celestion G12-80 the replacement for the G12-100?

WhoJamFan

No-the GK and GT 100s are, and supposed to have a tad more bass and highs for distorted downtuned type stuff.

Giga

Warning ! There are several versions of this speaker. Most are suited for PA use (I think) and sound terrible for guitar. The Txxxx code determines the version. I'm not sure of the right code right now but if you want I can check for you this evening.

Giga

EdMan57

The two G12H-100's that I have sound fairly neutral and balanced to my ears.Though it could be due to age/breaking in,my G12K-100's sound a bit brighter and punchier in the low/mids than the G12H-100's.Both speakers sound superb with my MKIIC+ head and Bedrock 651.

Ed

WhoJamFan

Got the speaker last night for a price I couldn't pass on. I plan on replacing the Sidewinder in my Ampeg VT-120. I know it's a little under rated, but turning up the volume more than 1/3rd of the way is enough to kill small animals at 200 yards. I'm putting the Sidewinder in an Avatar 212 alongside an Eminence Swamp Thang, since both have the same wattage and db rating. I can always set the combo on top of the 212 if I need to play Wembley right? haha

I wanted a 212 to replace my 412 for all but large outdoor gigs. 300 watts of fairly full range, fairly uncolored speker tone should work well with my Hiwatt, Vox, and Ampeg amps. My 412 is a 300 watt cab and I've always appreciated the headroom, clarity, and ability to not have to fight speaker coloration and breakup through the volume control. Speaker breakup and coloration are great if you can always have your "sweet spot" live, but so many places make that volume impracticle and usually are coupled by soundpeople who have no idea how to do their jobs.

Thanks for help-will report when it's all done.

WhoJamFan

Ok, speakers installed. The Vt-120 has a little more life in the mids. and a juicy, but potentially bright top end, which a little presence adjustment fixed. All in all happy with it, even though it's a heavy old boat anchor.

Now, on to the Avatar 212. Loaded it with the Sidewinder and Swamp Thang, hooked up my Hiwatt DR504 head, and kaboom! Be dang happy you don't live next door to me, extreme volume with killer tone to boot. Very full and robust, with a gigantic bottom end. Days of headroom, Timmy was nicely boosting and creaming out the Fulltone, From a relatively6 low volume-through what is a normal microphone volume, to about halfway up, great sound, very "Won't get fooled again" live to some heavy chugging distorted palm muting.

Anyways, I'm a happy guy and can't wait to use this rig at a benefit fest we're doing saturday.

bluesjunior

Warning ! There are several versions of this speaker. Most are suited for PA use (I think) and sound terrible for guitar. The Txxxx code determines the version. I'm not sure of the right code right now but if you want I can check for you this evening.

Giga
Hey Giga, did you ever remember to check out which Txxxx code was which for these speakers. Reason I ask is that I have two Celestion G12H-100's in a closed back cab and always wondered if they were best suited to PA or Instrument usage?.

Trending Topics